r u a pirate?

ripken204

piracy  

111 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever dloaded illegal material? one time counts.

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. do you illegally dload things on a regular basis?

• yes
    • no

sadly, i downloaded one thing legally, turns out its become illegal, so i guess that makes it illegal because i use it?

bah. a single modified operating system. no music, no programs, and i don't game anyway.

the company actually now distributes the modified OS, so i don't even know how to count it. it was illegal when i did it. havent made it completely work though. haven't gotten into a GUI with it, just command line stuff.

i download pirate software for one reason and thats to find the best and then and there i buy it..

it took me over 7 different dvd encoding softs then i found one worth buying

it took 9 different antivirus programs till i found the one

so i do believe in supporting the makers of any softs or game...ect.

All my teachers are citation-crazy. Cite this! Cite that! Bibliographies bibliographies bibliographies!

Would you need to cite this survey? And would this count as biased as far as numbers go because it is after all a computer geek/nerd/whatever site and more likely to have pirates? I agree that people raised good points and this would be helpful, but you should keep this stuff in mind.

Good luck on your paper! :hello:

ya i was wondering about that too, ill have to ask my teacher about it, i doubt he will let me use what you guys said but im sure i can find it somewhere else. as for the poll, im pretty sure that he will let me use that. he wants some sort of an interview/survey from people who are "experts" on the topic. so i guess this is a good place to ask.

Hard to say. Since anyone can create an account, the information could be bogus. I doubt it is, but that's an uncontrollable variable. How do you classify "expert" when anyone could post this? I could be Bill Gates (I'm not :whistle: ) or I could be your stupid eight-year-old neighbor (I'm not that either :rolleyes: ). I guess you will have to talk to him. Have you showed him the poll?

In fact, I just thought of something. Isn't taking info from a poll like this without citing *sort of* like pirating? I mean, not really, but since we're talking about this, it is an interesting thought. :unsure:

When you're done can you post your essay for us to read?

well by "expert" im referring to people who have experience with it. i can just go ask my dad, "when was the last time you downloaded a torrent?" he would be like, "wtf are you talking about." you see what i mean?

my essay wont be done for a month, it need to be a nice 10 pages long... im going to be writing about copy protections and everything having to do with them.

well by "expert" im referring to people who have experience with it. i can just go ask my dad, "when was the last time you downloaded a torrent?" he would be like, "wtf are you talking about." you see what i mean?

I could ask my parents, and they'd think I was talking about a river. :rolleyes:

(As in a torrent... from a river... they wouldn't get the download part.)

Edited by Idontwantspam

please no more posts about if you illegally download things or not. i do not want this thread to be closed. thanks for all of your input guys.

vindications are illegal too? :blink:

Well, now im replacing my software (even purchased software) with GNU based apps.

The openoffice case for example is for office compatibility (wordperfect is powerful, but is not very compatible and my pc is used by losers too). Now is turn of photoshop (i have gimp and an old adobe pack that comes with a Yamaha CD-RW)

Games? My pc (1999) and my powerbook (1997) are outdated. Im using games provided from HOTU.

Currently, in Lima (a city of Peru) i found Win98/XP and other software licenses IN THE TRASH! or re-selled with for a few dollars. It's a good chance for legalize some copies.

PD: Exists any GNU based alternative to Autocad (2D design only) for PC?. I tested a Autocad 2004 demo in my pc and is v e r y s l o w. My version of minicad (minicad 6.0 for macintosh-1995, discontinued.) is VERY outdated (if is possible, suggestions for my powerbook).

Edited by chillinfart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes and yes. I do love freeware but sometimes it doesn't cut it, and we have bills and food to pay for, as well as a wedding in August and a child expected in January. So in regards to paying money for software, no can do for now. If developers are considerate, they will award beta testers with free licenses; like JV16 PowerTools. :thumbup