WinPe 2.0 and mapped drives

geo411m

does anyone know whats needed for mapped drives? my winpe has been working perfect for mapping shared folder but when i put my pe disk in a system with 256mb ram i run into problems.

I used Jazkal's idea for reducing size and i cut my image down alot but i would like to reduce further by removing unneeded services.

thanks...

WinPE 2.0 runs very unstable on systems with less than 316 MB memory.

We have done a lot of testing on this limit, and one of the symptoms we encountered was problems with network traffic.

Remember its built on the Vista codebase, and Vista doesn't support systems with 256 MB memory.

WinPE 2.0 runs very unstable on systems with less than 316 MB memory.

We have done a lot of testing on this limit, and one of the symptoms we encountered was problems with network traffic.

Remember its built on the Vista codebase, and Vista doesn't support systems with 256 MB memory.

I rebuilded the wim using max compression and not using any of the extras. the only thing i added was imagex + Imagex gui, ghost, nu2, ExplorerXP and BTS Lan pack. my wim is about 120mb. it can run on 256mb machines with about 3mb free :wacko: . i think i figured out my problem with mounting drives. i think i need to configure network setting as i'm able to mapdrives in VMWare fine but not in real hardware eventhough my network card are propely detected. i'm gonna try adding "Pe Network Configurator 2.30" which should hopefully help with my problem.

WinPe has alot of tools but they are comand prompt based. what would be a good idea would be to write gui wrapers for them that way we can keep our cd's small and easy to use.

Mine is only 113 MB and I have added all the extras and some additional tools and stuff.

did you remove anything else? i did add all the BTS Lan Drivers maybe thats why mine is so much bigger?

@All,

If I am not mistaken, my boot.wim is 120Mb in size, but it is already compressed and when loaded into RAM it is decompressed. Then it needs the memory to be more then 256Mb for it to work. We also tested on system with 384Mb and then it works.

Greetings,

Bitfrotter

• 2 weeks later...

One thing your forgetting about is machines that only have 256 mb of Ram probably have onboard video which can also then be shared ram. I have a PE 2.0 that works with 250 mb of ram leaving 6 for the video card. So far as long as in the Bios the video ram is reduced to 4 mb (if it can be) then it works correctly.

The size includes 32MB for the ram drive. My wim file is 84 MB.