MS Office 2003 wont work properly

csci1000

Thank you for this program. It will save me whole lot of space soon. This is awesome other than small glitch I am having. I rebuild ISO after removing un-needed stuff like tablet pcs, printer, scanner drivers, and many other things. I burned ISO to DVD and installed it on my laptop to test out results. Installation went thru just fine normal and everything came to normal screen. Then very first program I installed was MSOffice 2003, which installed normal as well. However now, whenver I do ANYTHING such as opening IExplorer, Notepad, Media Player, or absolutely ANYTHING, MSOffice installation starts automatically. It keeps coming everything time I take any action. Its extremely annoying to keep clicking "cancel" whenver it pops up. Can anyone please advice what I did wrong? or What did I remove could have caused this? I read details on each item I removed and I was very clear on what I am removing! I know it's not MSOffice installation source because, I been using it for years now and when I isntalled it on my Desktop which is running Vista, I dont get this problem. Anyhelp be greatly appreciated.

thank you

everytime I start "any" program, Office Installer popups start popping up after installing Office 2003 on Vista rebuilded using vlite. I dont get that problem on Vista installed from OEM DVD.

please help!

Did you delete any files or folders after the Vista setup, and did you configure that Office like with Shrinker or something?

Also you may try keeping Windows Mail if you use Outlook.

I installed it from Office CD, with Custom Install, checked boxes for WORD and EXCEL with individual component selection box checked. Then pressing next, on next screen, I selected Word dropdown menu and selected RUN ALL FROM MY COMPUTER and same for Excel. Then selected Office Tools dropdown menu and selected RUN ALL FROM MY COMPUTER as well to get "imaging tools" and etc. I followed exact same procedure I have been following 30+ times in past and not a speckle of problem---ever! And I know it's not Office Install source or me selecting something wrong for office installation. It's 100% something within vlite I removed but have no idea! :(

thank you for ur reply

I just removed something which was worth saving space (just big numbers ###MBs). I didnt even touch with RED colored alerts with dependencies--so I dont mess up anything. I didnt remove anything after installation (I dont even know what can be removed :( ) I didnt install Outlook, I dont use it. "Office like with Shrinker " I have no idea what you mean by Shrinker so I guess not :)

Ok then it's weird.

Did you try to provide it with the Office CD and then does it ask again after the reset?

And do you use CCleaner or some other cleaning tool?

I have the same issue with Office 2007 on vLite 0.9 Home Premium setup. Some apps launch okay but Word struggles opening with installer briefly starting, the setup panel appears, then reports error and needy reinstall. Closing the window then opens Word and runs well. Excel reports some file error, closing it launches fine. Publisher and One Note open normally.

I've had same problem back pre-vLite and fixed it somehow that I cannot remember how. I've tried registry cleaning, deleting any files possible time stamped with same hour, moving out System 32 Installer files same date, scouring every hidden files possible.

Nothing fixes, including uninstall, registry keys left behind, reinstall, everything imaginable. My best recollection prior solving fix was cache files somewhere. Personally, I think the MST Installer engine in Vista has issues.

I really doubt a rational vLite setup is issue. MSI Installers leave a mess of archive files all kept for reasons that baffle me. What purpose copying each one into System is beyond me.

Anyone with knowledge and guidance dealing with killing the trigger and where saved would help probably many others cursed with this.

Hi,

That is exactly what happens when Windows Installer gets corrupt, it can happen in any version of Windows I have experienced it mainly in Windows 2000 as thats mainly what we have at work. If Windows Installer is corrupt, which maybe is possible due to using Vlite then you are stuffed and will need to re-install or re-make your Vlite installation.

When Windows Installer corrupts the only way you would be able to fix it is to re-install Windows Installer however to install Windows Installer it uses Windows Installer so you're basicly stuffed when that happens butit is strange how it always seems to say office we get that as well but maybe its just the last thing you installed when it corrupts.

Hope this is a bit of help.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone, I have the same problem with MS Office 2003, and I'm 100% sure the reason is one of the components I'm removing with VLite...

VLite is incredible software, making Vista better and helping us to improve the performance of our PC's, but we have to find what component removed by VLite that makes the issue with MS Office 2003...

My sugestion is to try removing single components one by one, and installing vlited vista every time (for example on virtual pc) and installing office 2003, today I'll begin, if I find the component, that we shouldn't remove, I'll post it... if anyone of you do the same, I would be gratefull...

sorry for my english :-P

Dj_KrupA_, make sure to keep Application Compatibility and Windows Mail. Also MDAC and Jet databases could come in handy but probably just for Access. Please let me know if you find which exactly so I can create new compatibility option.

Also make sure that it works fine on the full Vista as well if you have not already. I remember someone mentioning some issues without vLite as well, not sure about that though.

I'm sure for 100% that it's the "speech support".

I have tested twice with windows vista vlited with removed speech support, and without removing it...

so "speech support" is required for MS Office 2003 to work properly... ;)

I think thats been fixed in Vista SP1, as it works for me with alot removed inc. "Speech Support" and i used to get the problem :( but now the only difference is more components removed and SP1. Only errors i did get was during instalation but thats because i removed MDAC and Jet Database.

Edited by LegoLiamâ„¢