Missing or Corrupt files in every setup

powerup

I have tried nLiting my Windows XP SP2 with RyanVM's pack about 7-8 times. But in every disc and in every version some files always cause the problem. I have read nLite's guide. I even tried downloading the nLite setup file many times if the copy I had were corrupt but futile. I can't figure out what went wrong. Please help me!!!

I encountered corrupt files everytime I tried to slipstream a Dell pre-SP1 Reinstallation disk. Usually, nLite would claim to remove the existing hotfixes (there were a few) and reported successfully slipstreaming everything else (SP2, updates, tweaks) but the installation would always fail on a corrupted usbehci.sys file. I tried slipstreaming just SP1 and the installation failed on a corrupted vga.sys. I was determined to figure out the problem until I discovered that Dell would send me a replacement disk which arrived in one day with SP2 already integrated. Since then, it's been smooth sailing although I still have other issues with tweaks that don't take.

If you are using an OEM disk, you might try a retail disk or get a replacement that might work better.

Just my 2 cents.

Ray

Then your old CD could be failing, but I don't like those already-stuffed-with-fixes installations anyway, unpredictable.

You are free to report which tweaks didn't take.

3 persons replying...I hope it's the same thing.

Anyway all of you first try on the clean installation files again but this time without ANY addons or hotfixes.

I'm suspecting PE headers in the addons or hotfixes. Unless it's the ISO engine...

Nuhi,

Here are the tweaks that didn't take:

No small icons on Start Menu

No Quick Launch (actually, I think default is no Quick Launch and nLite doesn't provide for turning it on)

No display contents of system folders

Links is not removed from IE Favorites

Marketplace is not removed from IE Favorites

Network Connections appear as link on Start Menu (told nLite to not display it)

Printers and Faxes appear as link on Start Menu (told nLite to not display it)

I built a new clean ISO this morning and let it install while I was at work.

I did include the IE7 Addon. Could that change the IE things back after nLite first removes them?

My experience with the original disk was that if I start with the pre-SP1 CD and DON'T slipstream anything, it works fine. Kinda pointless since I end up right back where I started, though, with a pre-SP1 installation. If I slipstream SP1 onto the disk, nLite sees the hotfixes, removes them, and appears to run fine through the ISO. But the installation fails saying that VGA.SYS is corrupted. If I start over and slipstream SP2, usbehci.sys is corrupted. I tried several times with new copies of SP1 and SP2 but no go. Once I got the new CD with SP2 already applied, I haven't bothered with the original disk. All is well, except as noted above. These are all Dell CDs. As much as I hate to accept defeat, I have to believe that there's SOMETHING about the Dell CD that nLite/SP1/SP2 isn't compatible with. (FWIW, AutoStreamer wouldn't even recognize that the original disk had an OS on it. nLite did better than that.)

If you want me to slipstream SP2 onto the original disk's files and send you something out of the compilation, let me know.

Thanks. And thanks for a very useful nLite.

Ray

I am using XP SP2 english version with RyanVM 2.1.7 update pack.

Files that are reported to be corrupt:-

amdk6.sys,ntoskrnl.exe and many

about 200 files are reported to be corrupt!

And also I tried burning with Nero 7 with nLite and many more but fruitless!

Please help!

I can attach my last session.ini

I had a problem with corrupt files on my 5yr old computer. The type of files you mentioned (last person). Turns out the problem was either my computer ram was going south, or my burner was. I have a new computer that this problem does not happen on.

Simply install your XP from new CD-ROM drive. It is mostly happen when you are installing through old CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.

If your problem remain their then try to search in sorce cd that if there is file presents?

Edited by rehbar

Rick, I've seen people delete dbghelp.dll thinking that it's part of an imaging program, "Windows Image Helper".

In reality, dbghelp.dll is an essential part of the runtime debugger. Most, if not all executeables will load but fail to start if this system DLL is missing or has been deleted.

Lots of information on dbghelp.dll on msft and msdn. There are also as many versions of dbghelp.dll as there are kinds of SDK releases. The msft debugging engine in XP and Server OS is an unholy mess and pretty much always has been.

Were I you, I'd have a close look at the source that I'm trying to nlite from just to make sure that the original, RTM, or SP1/SP2 version of dbghelp.dll is there. You might have to go back to the original distro disks to make sure of an unmodified source.

If this isn't your problem (a deleted or modified dbghelp.dll in your pre-nlite source), then you might well have with a physical corruption problem with your pre-nlite source image, be it an ISO or a 'real' CD/DVD.

Edited by newsposter

I am using XP SP2 english version with RyanVM 2.1.7 update pack.

Files that are reported to be corrupt:-

amdk6.sys,ntoskrnl.exe and many

about 200 files are reported to be corrupt!

And also I tried burning with Nero 7 with nLite and many more but fruitless!

Please help!

I can attach my last session.ini

I have the same problem. All missing files (like amdk7, amdk6 etc.) are in driver.cab. I don't know why nLite (1.3.0.4) repacks it when this option is disabled but when it packs driver.cab back it lost about 200 files.

What is this?

P.S. Tried to integrate updates to WinXP english installation with SP2 integrated.