NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

Hi! I have PC with 3 OS (Multiboot): Win98SE/2000/XP. System Config: MB: "ASUS K8V-X" (Socket 754, VIA K8T800, DDR, AGP8x), CPU: "AMD Sempron 3100+" (Palermo, Socket 754), RAM: 1024 MB. I have encountered difficulties with videocard "Leadtek WinFast A6600" (GeForce 6600, 8x/4x AGP-slot, 128 MB onboard RAM) when installing driver under Win98 (under Win2000/XP on the same PC this card works without any problems). I have tried following driver versions: 71.84, 77.72, 81.98, 82.69 (both versions: 82.69 from NVIDIA and 82.69 "Tweaked Unofficial"). With ALL above mentioned driver versions I can NOT change screen resolution and refresh rate: my Win98 runs only in 640x480x60hz mode! :( (but I CAN change color depth: 256/16-bit/32-bit and so on). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It may be of interest to note that the shutdown problem, identified in versions 81.98 and above of the NVIDIA Drivers, appears to depend upon the Graphics Card used.

I observed the problem when I installed a 6200 card. I needed to replace at least 4 files with 77.72 versions to avoid the problem.

The shutdown problem has not appeared in either of two systems where I installed a FX 5200 Graphics Card, using the 81.98 Drivers.

• 2 months later...

I've tested the drivers 77.72, 81.98, 82.16 and 82.69 with FX5900XT and 6600GT both AGP. I can confirm that the shutdown works with the driver 77.72.

If I use the newer drivers the shutdown works fine with the FX5900XT, but not with the 6600GT. I think the problem is concerned to Geforce 6 and higher - not to the FX series. Next I test a 7600 PCI-E.

One possible solution:

I've installed the PLoP Boot Manager 5.0.3 in DOS Mode. After reboot I choose shutdown in the PLoP Menu.

It takes about 14 seconds more to shutdown.

Edited by schwups

• 4 weeks later...

I've tested a GF8600 GT PCI-E 256MB on a Intel 915G Chipset, but still without success. (no free adress space for the card)

- 512MB and 1024MB System Memory / vcache 524288 / mdgx82.69 and ZaKMcKracken's driver

I'll modify the system.ini and try it again.

Edited by schwups

I set maxfilecache and MaxPhysPage in the system.ini with different values (reducing) but the Problem still exists: This device cannot find any free Input/Output Range (I/O) resources that it can use. I've one exclamation-mark in the device manager at the display adapter, irrespective choosing Standard PCI Graphics Adapter or the GF8600GT of MDGX or ZakMacKracken's driver or BearWindows VBE Miniport driver.

If I use instead of the GF8600GT the onboard Graphic the device conflict disappears and the BearWindows driver works (32bit true color), but the refresh rate is a little bit poor (the display flickers; maybe 70).

But I want to see the GF8600 working. What ideas do you have?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Are you saying that you've gotten some, most, or substantially all the necessary win-98 drivers for your 915G-based motherboard? If so, please explain how.

I thought the last Intel chipset to have win-98 drivers was the i875.

Are you saying that you've gotten some, most, or substantially all the necessary win-98 drivers for your 915G-based motherboard? If so, please explain how.

I thought the last Intel chipset to have win-98 drivers was the i875.

Hallo wsxedcrfv,

I think the Intel 6.3.0.1007 is the last official driver for 9x/ME. It includes drivers for i915 and i925 chipsets.

Besides exists a modded 6.3.0.1007 for the i945 and more intel Chipsets. You find it on the czech "Unofficial Windows98 support site (windows98.ic.cz) (good to have a translation programm or plugin). Also interesting is this: www.mdgx.com

My further steps to make the GF8600 work: I have changed memory ranges and interrupt requests. Now I've set the Graphics Adapter to Interrupt 11 (only) and the Intel 82801FB FBM SMBUS Controller 266A disabled with the consequence that the device conflict disappears. But Gf8600 is still obstinate. Maybe I should test a GF7xxx or GF6xxx on this chipset and BIOS too.

My test OS is ME. Note: GF8600 works fine with XP and OpenSuse Live.

Guest wsxedcrfv

The inf files in the win-98 directory of the Intel 6.3.0.1007 chipset driver all seem to be for win-2k ???

Anyways, the last I looked into this, I don't there there was any consensus as to whether or not nvidia PCIe cards can work properly under win-98, even if it appears that PCIe bus seems to be installed correctly in device manager.

If your video cards have a feature known as "turbo-cache", that's also not a good thing as far as win-98 compatibility (turbo cache is really the video card using system memory as video memory). Only PCIe cards have turbo cache (AGP cards never did).

Get the Asrock dual or 4core VSTA board- it has both AGP and PCIe slots and Via PT880 chipset (which has win-98 driver support).

Hi,

I was just testing a borrowed GF 8800GTS/640MB/PCIE and I didn't managed it to work in any way.

As cooksy reported it installed properly with 82.69 drivers but after restart I got mentioned

"Windows protection error - Restart your system" error.

But in my case it apeared everytime on boot. I could boot in safemode only.

After some further messing I gave up.

Cooksy and schwups reported that he even tried a 256MB 8600 card and also didn't work.

So now I'm pretty sure that 82.69 drivers simply don't support G80 core and newer.

It's not enough to put device ID into INF files but would require upgrading binary.

As Win2k/XP drivers are very different kind it is not possible (maybe if someone

make something like kernelex for drivers tongue.gif)

So I'm keeping my 7900GT and if I will see some cheap 7950GX2 I'll upgrade...

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am posting re: 82.69 display drivers and shutdown issues with certain cards.

I recently bought a used nVidia Geforce 7600 GS (AGP 512 MB RAM) for a Pentium IV - based machine at home.

I successfully got the card to work with the 82.69 drivers. How ever, I did begin experiencing problems with shutdown - sometimes the computer hangs, sometimes it displays "It is now safe to turn off your computer" (with the previous card and drivers, it turned off automatically), where it also sort of hangs, because I have to hold the power button for a while for the machine to turn off.

I tried rloew's suggestion from post #294, i.e. replacing four specific files with the 77.72 versions. However, this lead to a problem with the display driver in the device manager and I was only able to use 16 colors.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix teh shutdown problem? Should I try to uninstall 82.69 and install the complete 77.72 driver?

Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix teh shutdown problem? Should I try to uninstall 82.69 and install the complete 77.72 driver?
The only way to properly fix the shutdown issue is to completely uninstall 82.69 and install the older one that works for your computer.

Mismatched driver files will give you errors.

Of course, if u can live with the shudown bug, 82.69 are way better for newer cards + monitors.

Your choice.

HTH

It's complicated... Which driver causes the shutdown problem seems to depend on which nVidia Card one has.

And it *is* possible to mix files from different versions, but some experimenting is necessary.

For my rather ancient GeForce2 MX400, the right mix is using the 29.42 drivers, but with nvdd32.dll and nvopengl.dll from version 32.20, for added compatibility with DirectX and OpenGL (see post #69, above). RLoew has found a viable mix for the 6200 card, reported in his posts #294 and #303, above, from which I now quote:

I did notice shutdown problems with the 81.98 Driver I was using with the GeForce 6200 512MB.

After some experimenting, I found I could fix the problem by replacing the following 4 Files with their 77.72 Versions:

NVDISP.DRV

NVCORE.VXD

NVARCH16.DLL

NVSVC.EXE

It may be of interest to note that the shutdown problem, identified in versions 81.98 and above of the NVIDIA Drivers, appears to depend upon the Graphics Card used.

I observed the problem when I installed a 6200 card. I needed to replace at least 4 files with 77.72 versions to avoid the problem.

The shutdown problem has not appeared in either of two systems where I installed a FX 5200 Graphics Card, using the 81.98 Drivers.

For those who decide to experiment with the nVidia drivers (as I said in my post #290, above), I recommend not to remove the nVidia drivers with add/remove or unistall, but, instead, to use the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). Version 1.5 supports Win 9x/ME, despite that not being explicit in the on-site information. The Add/Remove applet or nVidia's own uninstallers don't do quite a perfect job in removing previous nVidia drivers, only Driver Cleaner Pro is able to remove them completely. I consider this the safest way to test nVidia drivers. Even so, before begining to experiment with video card drivers, do create a full backup of your system!

I just want to confirm what 'rloew' and 'schwups' have posted above concerning the Win 98 shutdown problem and different models of Nvidia cards. The shutdown problem exists only with Nvidia cards in the 6XXX series and higher.

I have two computers running Win 98; the first one double boots with Win2K and had a EVGA 6200A-LE Nividia card (AGP 8X). Of course 2K shuts down fine, 98 with the MDGX's 82.69 driver had the shutdown problem. 'Restart' worked OK but 'shutdown' hung. Then after I installed Maximus Decim's Cumulative Update (a couple of months ago) the 'restart' option would not work either. I uninstalled MDCU, no help.

After reading their comments above (about shutdown not working with the 6XXX and higher series cards) I replaced the 6200A-LE with an EVGA FX5200. Shutdown was still not working (although I did now have a blinking cursor on shutdown as opposed to a totally black screen) until I uninstalled the unofficial 2.0 USB drivers that came with MDCU (I don't have any USB devices that work with 98). Now both shutdown and restart are working with the 82.69 drivers.

The second computer is 98 only. It had an old ATI 9200 AGP 8X with only 64 MB of RAM. Of course, it had no shutdown problems with the ATI card. I replaced it with an EVGA FX5200 (128MB) identical to the one above (in both cases I used 'Driver Cleaner Pro' to uninstall the drivers). This computer's shutdown/restart is working fine with MDGX's 82.69 drivers.

In both cases I now have the option of using widescreen resolution in the future if I ever need to replace the CRT (19 inch) monitors on both computers, as the ATI card had no widescreen resolutions.

Older NVidia drivers were easier to mix'n'match, less code and no back-tracking checks.

In my experience...

I've successfully "matched" 2 very old versions [2.4??] on my trusty GeForce 4600, and worked like a charm for almost a year, until 1 day, when I tried to play a [new at the time] game. It crashed. :(

So I had to revert back to having all files from same release, just to be able to play that game.

What may help with "rigging" together different version files is RivaTuner [freeware], but you need an older edition which is compatible with 9x OSes.

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Old RivaTuner 1.54 works with Win98/ME [1.22 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RivaTuner145.exe

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I've tested Geforce 6600GT 128MB , 7600GT 256MB and 8600GT 256MB (all PCI-E) on another Board MSI 7058 915P Combo FR (chipset Intel i915P) with AMI BIOS. Previously I had tested on a similar Board MSI 7140 Combo 2 (i915G), but it has an Award BIOS. OS: Win ME

Result: -6600GT 128MB works with Nvidia drivers - To shutdown I use the bootmanager

PLoP or I can install the older Nvidia driver 77.72.

-7600GT 256MB doesn't work with Nvidia drivers (but I'll try it again)

After driver setup and reboot the maschine switched off.

But it has worked with the bearwindows driver (of course the refresh rate

is a little bad - CRT Display).

- 8600GT 256MB doesn't work with Nvidia drivers. After the Setup and the

following reboot the machine hangs respectively crashed with a blue-grey

checked colored screen and a few letters.

It's surprising to me that the Bearwindows driver works.

Note: The Chipset Driver is Intel 6.3.0.1007. Two exclamation-marks remain in the

device manager at motherboard-ressources (Code 15), but it seems to be no

problem. The machine works stable.

Of course there is no driver for onboard USB 2.0 and onboard sound.