NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

I have an older updated version of the esdi_506.pdr file. It is from 2006.

I used the inf files to install the drivers.

I have kernelx 4.2 installed which may have helped with installing.

Some of the inf files in my C:windows\inf\others folder still have windows NT as signature.

I do remember changing the signature to Chicago some times.

and shortening some of the texts between [] to less than 16 characters if they were longer

and adding devices. I am not sure what did the trick though.

Perhaps i should do a reinstall on a different disk and write down every thing this time.

It is win 98 SE.

I have an older updated version of the esdi_506.pdr file. It is from 2006.
Then you're on the safe side. You are using LLXX original mod. The one by Maximus-Decim in BHDD31e is the same (v. 4.10.2225) with the version number changed. The reason for it is a long old story, better forgotten, but both solve the > 137 GB issue all right.
I used the inf files to install the drivers.

I have kernelx 4.2 installed which may have helped with installing.[...]Perhaps i should do a reinstall on a different disk and write down every thing this time. It is win 98 SE.

Yes, if you have time for it, a step by step guide can be of help to many users, especially nowadays, when almost every board has no Win 9x/ME drivers anymore. It'd be a start-point even for those using different motherboards, because the concept of how to do it is genaral. You should open a new thread for your tutorial, for it to have the right visibility, too. Keep on the great work! You rock!

I'm cross-quoting this post because I think it may help solve some of the problems reported in this thread.
I have developed a Patch that should allow the use of 512MB Graphics Cards with Windows 9X.

I do not have a Card to test.

If anyone has a 512MB Graphics Card and a Windows 9X driver for it, and is interested in doing some testing, contact me at rloew@hotmail.com

I don't have a suitable video card either, if I did I'd be quite glad to test the patch myself.

I have purchased and tested a GeForcd 6200 512MB AGP Graphics Card.

The Installation CD was limited to XP and Vista, but NVIDIA offers their Forceware 81.98 which works fine.

The NVIDIA Driver doesn't appear to allocate the entire AGP Aperture so it doesn't appear to be limited to 256MB. A 1024MB may work also.

I haen't tested the 82.69 Driver but someone else has (see below) so 512MB Cards should work with it.

The AGP allocation issue occurs in the ATI RADEON 9600. Since it is only 128MB, there is no problem, but a 512MB Card, with a similar driver, would cause problems.

One person, who answered my request for Beta Testers, has a GeForce 7600GT 512MB AGP Card. He had no problem related to the AGP size but had a Shutdown problem that appears to be unrelated. He has used the NVIDIA 82.69 Driver without Problems.

I am still looking for Testers who have access to 512MB or larger Graphics Cards with Windows 9X compatable drivers to test my Beta AGP Patch.

Edited by rloew

• 2 weeks later...
One person, who answered my request for Beta Testers, has a GeForce 7600GT 512MB AGP Card. He had no problem related to the AGP size but had a Shutdown problem that appears to be unrelated. He has used the NVIDIA 82.69 Driver without Problems.
You're right! The shutdown issue with the 82.69 drivers is a well-known bug of the driver itself, and cannot be related to your patch in any way, because it happens for many users of that driver, even for older boards with much less RAM. Your beta tester should try the nVidia drivers 77.72. Multibooter says it's the latest bug-free driver for 9x/ME. And he uses it with a nVIDIA 7800 GS OC (256 MiB; AGP 8x). But tell your beta tester not to remove the nVidia drivers with add/remove or unistall, but, instead, using the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). Version 1.5 supports Win 9x/ME, despite that not being explicit in the on-site information. The Add/Remove applet or nVidia's own uninstallers don't do quite a perfect job in removing previous nVidia drivers, only Driver Cleaner Pro is able to remove them completely. I consider this the safest way to test nVidia drivers.

You're right! The shutdown issue with the 82.69 drivers is a well-known bug of the driver itself, and cannot be related to your patch in any way, because it happens for many users of that driver, even for older boards with much less RAM. Your beta tester should try the nVidia drivers 77.72. Multibooter says it's the latest bug-free driver for 9x/ME. And he uses it with a nVIDIA 7800 GS OC (256 MiB; AGP 8x). But tell your beta tester not to remove the nVidia drivers with add/remove or unistall, but, instead, using the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). Version 1.5 supports Win 9x/ME, despite that not being explicit in the on-site information. The Add/Remove applet or nVidia's own uninstallers don't do quite a perfect job in removing previous nVidia drivers, only Driver Cleaner Pro is able to remove them completely. I consider this the safest way to test nVidia drivers.

I've used the 81.98 version with a GeForce 6200 without problems so far.

Drive Cleaner Pro 1.5 is not currently available through the above link. The only mirror offered has no files to download for it.

The publisher's site is not free.

Drive Cleaner Pro 1.5 is not currently available through the above link. The only mirror offered has no files to download for it.

The publisher's site is not free.

Try this link: ftp://files.3dnews.ru/pub/drivers/DCProSetup_15.zip

I've just downloaded the file from this Russian ftp and confirmed it's identical to the one I have in my back-ups.

So it's the same file from which I've installed the copy still present in my system. It is 2,817,354 bytes long and has fc700ec7523754fbfaed4291945a05f0 as its MD5 hash.

I did notice shutdown problems with the 81.98 Driver I was using with the GeForce 6200 512MB.

After some experimenting, I found I could fix the problem by replacing the following 4 Files with their 77.72 Versions:

NVDISP.DRV

NVCORE.VXD

NVARCH16.DLL

NVSVC.EXE

I did notice shutdown problems with the 81.98 Driver I was using with the GeForce 6200 512MB.

After some experimenting, I found I could fix the problem by replacing the following 4 Files with their 77.72 Versions:

NVDISP.DRV

NVCORE.VXD

NVARCH16.DLL

NVSVC.EXE

Did you try the same file replace using the 82.69 drivers?

Since these are the core driver files, I wonder if the 82.69 widescreen support will get crippled?

At least using this method, the OpenGL driver will not be replaced, although I wonder if there are any problems with the version mismatch...

I've experimented before with replacing 80 series files with 77.72 version files, and often I got issues because the driver set was version mismatched...

Anyway, nice work finding the short list of files to replace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally want to thank Maximus-Decim for putting together a well written and developed mod. These drivers completely fixed all my graphics related issues and I couldn't be happier. My system would give me the infamous Windows Protection Error after I install a new EVGA NVidia chipset 6200 w/256 meg of ram. This card was replacing my original BFG 5500. Due to a lightning strike I had to replace my motherboard and the video card with it since they were blown. I installed the latest drivers that Windows 98se would support and installed them. They work but I couldn't shut down my system, I could only reboot. Mad Onions PCMark would not load, the 3D portion of a graphics performace test always froze the system, as well as trying to overclock the card, a no go. After downloading and installing these drivers I can now shutdown down, the only difference that now instead of my system just turning off it now shows me the "You can turn off your system now..."message, which is cool with me, it gives me the opportunity of shutting it down manually without being in a crashed state. Both graphics benchmarks load and run and I have higher ratings than I did with the original 5500 card. I can now overclock the card without crashing the system. Its ALL GOOD for me! Sooo.. again KUDOS! to something solving mulitple issues for me. Hats off to the support of the forum, OUTSTANDING! :thumbup

peace