NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

There is not any problem with 512MB video RAM in Win98se! I don't know where this was mentioned and everybody is still writing about this! Maybe because of the problem of 512MB system RAM in Win98se, when if you install more you have to limit vcache. But all this has nothing to do with video RAM...

I can also confirm no problem with 512MB of video RAM on win98SE (using GEForce 6200/512MB).

The problem with 512MiB of Video RAM occurs when there is 1GiB or more of system RAM.

It would appear, at least with AGP cards, that the entire video RAM is mapped as a frame buffer into the top 1GiB of address space.

This space is also used for the AGP aperture, and the VCache among other functions.

Also in this space is the VMM page table - this grows proportional to the amount of system RAM.

Obviously the AGP Aperture and VCache must be reduced, but somewhere at or over 1GiB of system RAM, there is no more address space for 512MiB of video RAM...

I'm not sure how a PCIe card would compare here since they don't use the AGP Aperture...

There is not any problem with 512MB video RAM in Win98se! I don't know where this was mentioned and everybody is still writing about this! Maybe because of the problem of 512MB system RAM in Win98se, when if you install more you have to limit vcache. But all this has nothing to do with video RAM...

I can also confirm no problem with 512MB of video RAM on win98SE (using GEForce 6200/512MB).

The problem with 512MiB of Video RAM occurs when there is 1GiB or more of system RAM.

It would appear, at least with AGP cards, that the entire video RAM is mapped as a frame buffer into the top 1GiB of address space.

This space is also used for the AGP aperture, and the VCache among other functions.

Also in this space is the VMM page table - this grows proportional to the amount of system RAM.

Obviously the AGP Aperture and VCache must be reduced, but somewhere at or over 1GiB of system RAM, there is no more address space for 512MiB of video RAM...

I'm not sure how a PCIe card would compare here since they don't use the AGP Aperture...

Thanks for the additional info. BTW I'm using 1GB of RAM, so I guess it must be 'over' to cause the problem you mentioned.

Cannot find any Environment tab in Win98SE's MSCONFIG.

However, while there, try to mark Disable fast shutdown in General > Advanced, see if it helps.

Shouldnt it be here ?

fast_sht922.png

Spread Spectrum option has absolutelly nothing to do with memory mapping or so. This is option for clock generator. Spread spectrum means that PLL clock chip will produce clock signals with smoother edges to minimize EMI radiation from mainboard but it can affect system stability esp. on overclocked systems. So I always disable it. It was just coincidence that it made your vga working.

You are right, infact I had a BIOS reset due to battery fault, and I set again spread spectrum but my VGA didn't work.

So I had to tamper (by chance) for half an hour with the BIOS settings to get it work again. I don't remember all the items I changed, but I tried also with "pallette snooping", "assign IRQ to VGA", "PnP OS", "agp aperture size" and others.... I don't know wich one is the key, but I hope it can be useful for someone: try and try again.

About the matter of the 512MB Video ram, I can confirm my vga (AGP) worked either with 512MB or 1GB of (System) RAM.

I still have the shutdown problem, but now turned strange: my pc always restarts, even if I choose shut down! But in any case at restart it say it hasn't been closed properly and checks HD for errors... but i can survive with this :hello:

Cannot find any Environment tab in Win98SE's MSCONFIG.

However, while there, try to mark Disable fast shutdown in General > Advanced, see if it helps.

Shouldnt it be here ?

fast_sht922.png

Extrahuj si originální soubor MSCONFIG.EXE z instalačky windows 98 SE (Win98_44.cab / 4.10.1998 / 69632 bajtů)

místo oficiální novější Made in Microsoft (4.10.2223 z 22.9.1999 / 60.416 bajtů)

Jen nevím, co všechno opravuje, nicméně ta volba u té původní je. Tu novější zanesl oficiální update souborem 4756cs8.exe (Modul pro vypnutí systému Windows 98 Druhé vydání), kde je vypnutí windows již ošetřeno a bez možnosti volby.

(Sorry czech language.....)

post-99711-1240249313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philco

Tried that, when I opened the older Msconfig, the option was already checked and it didnt help ... as I expected. Never mind, I got used to restart the PC instead of shutting it down. Theres no doubt, those drivers are buggy. :wacko:

Hi all,

Since BFG support has been less than helpful, maybe somebody here can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or not doing right). I've read everything in this thread and nothing I tried has worked so far. I have both a BFG 7800 GS OC 256MB AGP and an ASUS 7600GS 256M AGP video cards in the hopes of using them in my Win98SE boxes. But so far I've tried them with five different motherboards and with fresh installs (format C: and install OS off of CD) of Win98SE (and one with WinME) and I can't get them to work. I've tried the following, all fresh installs (so I've tried at least 48 fresh installs with no success), and I always get the same results:

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 (VIA PT880 Pro/Ultra) 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW (with drivers not installed)

Each time a fresh install of Win98SE (with MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings for 512MB RAM)

VIA Version - 5.22A (tried installing before the Forceware, and tried installing both before AND after the Forceware)

Forceware - 82.16(BFG)

DirectX - not installed

Asus K8V-X SE (VIA K8T800) 512MB

NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX (with drivers not installed)

Each time a fresh install of Win98SE (with MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings for 512MB RAM)

VIA Version - 4.56v, and 5.10A (tried installing before the Forceware, and tried installing both before AND after the Forceware)

Forceware - 82.16(BFG), 82.69(MDGx)

DirectX - not installed

ASRock 775V88 (VIA PT880) 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW (with drivers both installed and not)

Each time a fresh install of Win98SE (both with MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings for 512MB RAM and without)

VIA Version - 4.53v, 4.56v, 5.07A, and 5.13A

Forceware - 82.16(BFG), 82.69(MDGx), 82.69(ZakMcKracken), 81.98(modded for GeForce 7x cards)

DirectX - 9.0c (sometimes installed before the Forceware, and sometimes after)

ASRock K8S8X (SiS 755) 512MB

NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX (with drivers both installed and not)

Each time a fresh install of Win98SE (both with MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings for 512MB RAM and without)

SiS AGP(GART) Driver v1.09f, v1.17, v1.17e, v1.19a, and v1.21

Forceware - 82.16(BFG), 82.69(MDGx), 82.69(ZakMcKracken), 81.98(modded for GeForce 7x cards)

EPoX 8KRAI PRO (VIA KT880) 512MB

Optiquest Q71 (with drivers both installed and not)

Each time a fresh install of Win98SE and also tried with fresh installs of WinME (both with MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings for 512MB RAM and without)

VIA Version - 4.53v, 4.56v, 5.07A, and 5.09A

No matter how I try the install I always have the same problem, after installing the Forceware and letting it reboot, the system hangs when trying to enter Windows GUI mode. You have to power cycle the system, boot into safe mode, reboot, and you are back to the default generic VGA drivers. Tried to install Forceware again a couple of times in case it would "take" if installed twice in a row but same results. At least once with each system tried to do a clean install exactly following the directions that came with the BFG card, to no avail. I've also tried installing with different BIOS settings, for example installing with AGP 1X, all safe settings, etc.

One consistent thing I've noticed is that I never see the nVIDIA BIOS message on the screen before the system BIOS splash screen with either card like I always see with my 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards--is that normal for the 7600 and 7800???

Can this be made to work under Win98SE?

I hope you will have some advice on what I can do to get this to work.

Thanks,

Feamane

No matter how I try the install I always have the same problem, after installing the Forceware and letting it reboot, the system hangs when trying to enter Windows GUI mode. You have to power cycle the system, boot into safe mode, reboot, and you are back to the default generic VGA drivers. Tried to install Forceware again a couple of times in case it would "take" if installed twice in a row but same results. At least once with each system tried to do a clean install exactly following the directions that came with the BFG card, to no avail. I've also tried installing with different BIOS settings, for example installing with AGP 1X, all safe settings, etc.

I see your motherboards are all based on Via/Sis chipset: those chipset are known for problems particularly with AGP cards, even if officially supported by drivers; I had a Biostar (oem) based on Via and I couldn't install ANY card, neither Nvidia nor Ati, so I had to buy an Intel based Asus that's the one I'm still using (in my sign). I don't know about Sis, but it's even less common... My only advice is try with an Intel based MoBo, and even with it it could be not easy at all. In my experience older are better: I had no problems with Intel 845 chipset, while some more with 865, maybe only luck.

One consistent thing I've noticed is that I never see the nVIDIA BIOS message on the screen before the system BIOS splash screen with either card like I always see with my 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards--is that normal for the 7600 and 7800???

Do you mean the 6xxx series worked on those motherboards with win98? You were lucky, I tried with a 6600 but I told what happened...

I've tried the following, all fresh installs (so I've tried at least 48 fresh installs with no success), and I always get the same results

Last advice: don't waste your time with fresh installs, just tamper... :D

Edited by 98er

HI,

Ya, they're all VIA except for the one oddball SiS because up until now I've had very good sucess with GeForce 6xxx cards and Win98 on them. Except for the ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0, all these systems are all working fine as Win98SE boxes, some even with SATA drives. The older ones I had and the newer ones I got after reading the other thread about 98 on newer mobos.

I thought reading through the thread that some of the people who got 7xxx cards to work with Win98 had VIA chipsets, can anybody confirm that??? I'm really curious what the people who have gotten a 7xxx card to work did different than me....

Thanks,

Feamane

• 1 month later...

I'm cross-quoting this post because I think it may help solve some of the problems reported in this thread.

I have developed a Patch that should allow the use of 512MB Graphics Cards with Windows 9X.

I do not have a Card to test.

If anyone has a 512MB Graphics Card and a Windows 9X driver for it, and is interested in doing some testing, contact me at rloew@hotmail.com

I don't have a suitable video card either, if I did I'd be quite glad to test the patch myself.

I'm cross-quoting this post because I think it may help solve some of the problems reported in this thread.
I have developed a Patch that should allow the use of 512MB Graphics Cards with Windows 9X.

I do not have a Card to test.

If anyone has a 512MB Graphics Card and a Windows 9X driver for it, and is interested in doing some testing, contact me at rloew@hotmail.com

I don't have a suitable video card either, if I did I'd be quite glad to test the patch myself.

Dear dencorso,

I've got a MSI Geforce 7600GT 512MB AGP Silent for my Win98se/WinXP dual boot system. Although there is not any problem with 512MB Video RAM and Win98se (there is actually a problem with MORE than 512MB SYSTEM Ram), I would like to try your patch, just to see if it cures my ONLY problem with Win98: the system hanging during shut-down!

Although I know that this issue is related to the drivers and not just the hacked ones (82.69) which I need for my 7600 and wide 1680x1050 monitor resolution... It is related to any driver above the official 77.72, even with official nvidia ones!

I mean I had exactly the same problem with my old Geforce2 MX 400 32MB VRAM when used official 81.69 (hanging during shut-down). When used official 77.72, I had no shut-down issues. So, after upgrading to a 7600GT 512MB and to the hacked 82.69, things didn't get worse; just the same old problem.

During normal use and even hard games use I have no issue. Anyway what is the issue with the 512MB VRAM you are saying? What is the exact effect? Slow-downs? Hangings? Display corruptions? How can I reproduce it (since I don't observe any issue - except form the shut-down hanging)? You should know exactly since you wrote a patch, don't you?

You should know exactly since you wrote a patch, don't you?
No, I didn't. Read again the quoted text in your own post. It's RLoew's patch we're talking about. I just quoted him here because his original post about it was in the Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x, and I thought it belonged here also. In that I was right, because you noticed it here, not there. Now, I have 3 GiB of RAM in my machine, but only a Geforce2 MX 400 32MB VRAM. So I've never encoutered the issue myself. But you can find it referenced along this selfsame thread, many times. AFAIK, what happens is the system does not finish booting up. Now, if you're willing to test the patch, you'll need to add more RAM. And I think this issue is not related to the hanging shut-down. In any case, to test the patch you should contact RLoew either by PM or by e-mail to the address indicated in his original post. Edited by dencorso