NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

But they do not support 7xxx series. (at least officially) So the question still is : what was the fiddling about?

Multibooter

========

Video card: nVIDIA 7800 GS OC (256 MiB; AGP 8x)

* NO shutdown problems after fiddling with GeForce driver *

But they do not support 7xxx series. (at least officially) So the question still is : what was the fiddling about?
1) Use Driver Cleaner v1.5 to uninstall a previous installation of the NVIDIA GeForce driver (Add/Remove doesn't work for this driver)

2) extract 77.72_win9x_english.exe (or 77.72_win9x_international.exe) to a driver directory.

3) add 3 lines to update the original v77.72 .inf files, for the bfg GeForce 7800 GS card:

nvagp.inf (=English version) or nvaml.inf (Multi-language version)

- comment line near beginning

;updated for bfg GeForce 7800 GS card

- before the last line in section [strings]:

NVIDIA&DEV_00F5.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS"

- at end of[Mfg] section:

%NVIDIA&DEV_00F5.DeviceDesc% = NV30, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F5

4) From that driver directory install the GeForce v77.72 driver via Device Manager, NOT via Setup.exe

I has worked fine for this specific card; whether it works for other 7000 cards, I don't know. To find the device id strings for other cards, you should look at the .inf in the extracted latest version driver files for WinXP.

After installation of the card I manually created a modified NVTweaks.reg, based on Nv8269.txt, the docu file of Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69, which I downloaded from http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php Good luck.

Edited by Multibooter

1) Use Driver Cleaner v1.5 to uninstall a previous installation of the NVIDIA GeForce driver (Add/Remove doesn't work for this driver)

Yep!, nVidia broke the uninstaller, nvuDisp.exe (1.0.1.41), after 77.72...

Use nvuDisp.exe 1.0.1.39 from 77.72.

If you've already installed the broken one, then just copy the good file to the Windows System folder.

You will then be able to uninstall 80 series drivers correctly.

Why do I get the impression that nVidia really bungled the 80 series 9x drivers and got themselves in such a mess that they just bailed...

:)

I tried the 81.98 drivers with a 7600, but they just crashed.

I don't actually think I tried 77.72 since I figured if the 81.98 drivers did not work then nothing earlier would...

I'll have to give them a go (INF modded of course!)

NV8269:

http://www.mdgx.com/drv.htm#3DFX

Added GeForce 9xxx series IDs [thank you aqcww!]. MUST read ReadMe text FIRST:

* Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php

NV8269.EXE [14.5 MB, multilingual]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

Supports theoretically most PCI, AGP + PCIe/PCIx GeForce + Quadro 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx + 9xxx series and widescreen monitors resolutions + refresh rates.

Added GeForce 9xxx series INF support [thank you aqcww!].

Have fun.

Those 82.69 drivers , is it possible that they will work on any of the 8 series or 9 series video cards?

Because i remember when i bought the PNY 8400GS PCI card, and this is when i was using XP, the oldest driver that worked on the card was the 160 if i remember correctly. The newer GPU's doesn't seem to be design to work on any of the older drivers.

I plan to buy a 8600GT soon and i will see if it works on win9x with any of the older drivers, but i am not buying the card for this computer anyway, but i will check.

Those 82.69 drivers , is it possible that they will work on any of the 8 series or 9 series video cards?

Because i remember when i bought the PNY 8400GS PCI card, and this is when i was using XP, the oldest driver that worked on the card was the 160 if i remember correctly. The newer GPU's doesn't seem to be design to work on any of the older drivers.

I plan to buy a 8600GT soon and i will see if it works on win9x with any of the older drivers, but i am not buying the card for this computer anyway, but i will check.

nothing is impossible!

you're right,the new drivers was written for new gpus.but if your old driver's inf files includes new gpu's hardware ID,your new card will also work fine.just have some little bugs.

and remember,more than 256mb card can't work on win98.

if you want to buy a new nvidia card,don't buy 8 series.8 series cards doesn't support pci-e 2.0,just pci-e 1.0 16x.you know,pci-e 16x is faster than pci-e 1.0 16x about 10%.

the mother board is important too.

GL

you're right,the new drivers was written for new gpus.but if your old driver's inf files includes new gpu's hardware ID,your new card will also work fine.just have some little bugs.

Yea you are right, i haven't tested any of the new cards on windows98se, so who knows they may work. I have a new card now, but its a Visiontek 2400HD, but sadly there are no new win98se drivers for ATI. I wanted to buy the X1550 for win98se, but the 6.2 driver for win9x does not support the X1550 series, only the XP 6.2 driver does, which is silly. :realmad:

And remember,more than 256mb card can't work on win98.

Oh yea i know, there are alot of new PCI cards that have 256MB. So there is many to choose from, in the 8 series that has 256MB.

If you want to buy a new nvidia card, don't buy 8 series. 8 series cards doesn't support pci-e 2.0, just pci-e 1.0 16x.you know,pci-e 16x is faster than pci-e 1.0 16x about 10%.

the mother board is important too.

GL

I plan to buy a 8 series card for my new rig which i am buying soon in PCI bus. Not PCIE. PCI cards get the job done just fine. I am using 6200 OC PCI card for windows98se and my games work almost perfect.

Yep!, nVidia broke the uninstaller, nvuDisp.exe (1.0.1.41), after 77.72...

Use nvuDisp.exe 1.0.1.39 from 77.72.

If you've already installed the broken one, then just copy the good file to the Windows System folder.

You will then be able to uninstall 80 series drivers correctly.

Why do I get the impression that nVidia really bungled the 80 series 9x drivers and got themselves in such a mess that they just bailed...

:)

I tried the 81.98 drivers with a 7600, but they just crashed.

I don't actually think I tried 77.72 since I figured if the 81.98 drivers did not work then nothing earlier would...

I'll have to give them a go (INF modded of course!)

Well I tried the 77.72 INF modded drivers with the 7600 GS... They would not initialise (on bootup)... Only 82.69 will initialise with 7600...

NV8269:

http://www.mdgx.com/drv.htm#3DFX

Added GeForce 9xxx series IDs [thank you aqcww!]. MUST read ReadMe text FIRST:

* Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php

NV8269.EXE [14.5 MB, multilingual]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

Supports theoretically most PCI, AGP + PCIe/PCIx GeForce + Quadro 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx + 9xxx series and widescreen monitors resolutions + refresh rates.

Added GeForce 9xxx series INF support [thank you aqcww!].

Have fun.

Great work folks! All we need now is confirmation that an 8 or 9 series card actually works on 9x!

Is nvuDisp.exe from official 77.72 driver included in the updated unofficial 82.69 driver?

No, MDGx has not included nvuDisp 1.0.1.39 from 77.72...

Any comments MDGx? - See my quoted post above.

I've never got the 80 series uninstaller (1.0.1.41) to work on my PC...

Has anyone ever successfully used the nVidia uninstaller from the 80 series drivers without crashing out?

I have no tried a card that has more then 256MB memory, but can someone tell what sort of problems will arose?

Also, my 6200 OC 256MB card shows 251.5MB, but games still see it as 256MB and games work just fine at max settings. So maybe if using a 512MB card, it will show up as 500MB or something and see work as fast.

• 2 weeks later...

EUREKA :thumbup

and remember,more than 256mb card can't work on win98.

NOPE ! It's a hoax!

remember:

nothing is impossible!
:D

At last I made it!!!

If you remember in my previous post I had problems with an AGP 6800GS 512MB card under W98 with some MoBo. Casually (tampering with Bios) I solved:

The config:

Asus P4P800-X (i865PE) - Prescott 3.0Ghz - 2x512MB = 1GB DDR400

Gainward Bliss 6800 GS AGP 512MB

and here is the magic: in BIOS I set:

Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

agp aperture: 128 (I didn't change)

video ~ priority: switched from PCI/AGP to AGP/PCI

But I think the only relevant thing is the spectrum disabled, even if I have no idea about what it is :D

(those 3 are the only option available in my bios: there is no agp speed option 8x-4x-... that I was looking for, but if you have try setting lower speed)

I tested quickly with UT2003 and it was fine.

P.S.: I use Win98se without any modifications (himem...etc). Probably someone has more problems with more Vram but doesn't mean it's impossible.

I still have the usual problem with the shutdown, but I don't mind, as:

your new card will also work fine.just have some little bugs.

I hope this is useful for someone.

Edited by 98er

@98er

God...can't believe that....

the problem is that my card can't run under that environment.my card is 7300 512mb.(ver. pci-e)

i hope you can test a new pci-e card with 512mb memory,it's best to test 9/8 series(at the moment test the new moded driver).

GL

• 2 weeks later...
My pack 82.69 driver (international):

http://rapidshare.de/files/41122601/nv8269int_9x.zip.html

What's new:

*nvaml.inf - for ALL (ALL!!! without TNT) nVidia graphics chips

*nvuDisp.exe - 1.0.1.39 (77.72)

*resource files - 4.14.10.11023 (82.16) (for international compatable)

*remove setup.exe, install with nvaml.inf

Really appreciate your contribution... :thumbup

Does it one still have the problem for shutting down Windows? For avoiding this problem, I'm using 77.72 driver.