NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

Yes :(

The only option for not-working new VGAs is VBEMP from Bearwindows but it's unaccelerated, as a last chance but useless for gaming.

But I'm not sure if it will work for VGAs with large FB which must cause conflict with other memory mapped devices...

Edited by xrayer

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried my sisters PCI-E graphic card Gigabyte GV-NX85T256HP and it didnt work for me. GC itself was found and installed in device manager properly but after the restart, the system hung with protection error message. :} I havent tested anything else. If you have ideas, write them down, I am open to any suggestions. :hello: My Leadtek 7900GS Extreme works OK. :)

(Windows protection error. You have to restart PC.)

70_13_256.jpg

Well, so far no one has confirmed an 8000 series card working in 9x...

Since 8000 series cards come with lots of RAM onboard, this is a problem to start with.

I calculated that with 512 MiB of video RAM, the 9x memory settings would basically be zero meaning no address space left...

Not all 8 series cards have 512MB or more. There are alot of 8 series PCI cards that come with 256MB and 512MB. Using my 6200 it has 256MB, but in DXDIAG it shows 251MB, but games are playing at super speed and no issues.

Without the source code, that nVidia would never release, there is little chance of a binary update of these drivers.

yea i guess no source code, no new win9x drivers.

I have just tried my sisters PCI-E graphic card Gigabyte GV-NX85T256HP and it didnt work for me. GC itself was found and installed in device manager properly but after the restart, the system hung with protection error message. :} I havent tested anything else. If you have ideas, write them down, I am open to any suggestions. :hello: My Leadtek 7900GS Extreme works OK. :)

(Windows protection error. You have to restart PC.)

http://xs433.xs.to/xs433/08450/70_13_256.jpg

You tried out the 82.69 drivers with that 8500GT card?

@ T.N.G.O.G. : I used drivers on XRayers Win98 support homepage. :hello:

Modified installation of nVidia ForceWare drivers 82.69 + 93.71 (unofficial version by ZakMcKracken84/MSFN forum), includes support for PCI Express GeForce 6***/7*** and experimental 8*** (not confirmed yet).

And this is also interesting, as Multibooter says, he has no shutdown problems. How did he modify his driver? :thumbup

Multibooter

========

Memory: 2 GiB RAM (PC3200 2x 1 GiB)

Motherboard: ASUS P5PE-VM

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E4500 @ 2200 MHz (core 2 duo E2200 also worked Ok)

Video card: nVIDIA 7800 GS OC (256 MiB; AGP 8x)

* NO shutdown problems after fiddling with GeForce driver *

AGP aperture: 128 MiB

config.sys: DEVICE=HIMEMX.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE /LOG

autoexec.bat: no relevant entries

system.ini:

MaxPhysPage=48000 ; 1150 MiB

MaxFileCache=131072 ; 128 MiB

vmm32.vxd: plain vanilla (with 4.10.0.2222 vcache.vxd and vmm.vxd inside)

try this driver.

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

i've modded the driver that can support 9000series,but not release yet.maybe these days mdgx can release that.

the vram is more than 256mb is a big problem.it's a system error,driver can't solve it.if there is a file like himemx.exe,that can solve.maybe flash the card-bios can solve,but that's dangerous.

you must know that the cards in the shop are all more than 256mb at present.

If everyone wants to " get around the system shut down issue ". Just go into safe mode and shut down from there. Thats what i always do.

Hey aqcww, the 82.69 drivers i think are pretty good, but i have major video issues, avi/dvd, etc none of them loads up and my computer freezes lol. Those drivers does not work with my bfg 6200, but works just fine with my FX5200 or FX5500.

There are no shutdown problems with GeForce v77.72. Shutdown problems exist in all later versions and were apparently never corrected.

With v82.69 driver and FX 5200 card I have no shutdown problem. Reboot also works.

But Restart Windows freezes up, as does typing WIN to restart Windows from DOS.

Do the v77.72 drivers also permit these latter to function normally?

Do the v77.72 drivers also permit these latter to function normally?
My comment was about my configuration with the 7800 card; with the PNY GeForce FX 5200 card versions > 77.72 worked fine on my configuration, if I remember right.

I'll be back at my desktop in December/January. The selections Shut down, Restart and Restart in MS-DOS mode in the Shut Down Windows menu were ok; I don't know about the Standby selection since I don't use it. Also a very nasty monitor-on/off problem of a ViewSonic VP2030b connected via DVI-D was resolved by reverting to the older driver v77.72 (The monitor would sometimes remain black until Win98 comes up - but how could I use the System Commander boot manager or change the BIOS settings on a black screen? There was no such problem when the monitor was connected at the VGA connector, but the VP2030b has a very poor display quality when connected via the VGA connector)

Edited by Multibooter

The selections Shut down, Restart and Restart in MS-DOS mode in the Shut Down Windows menu were ok; [...]
Thanks Multibooter. Same here, those selections all work.

So I am thinking about two consistent behaviors of 82.69 driver on this system:

1) When restarting Windows without reboot (press Shift + select Restart) the system freezes at the "Windows is now restarting..." screen after considerable HD activity, apparently just prior to desktop display.

2) Additionally there is new behavior during a cold boot or warm reboot -- just prior to desktop display the monitor goes into "no signal" (standby) mode for about 3 seconds, during which HD activity continues, and after which the signal returns and the Windows desktop appears as usual.

Given those two behaviors the problem appears to be somewhere in the difference between driver loading and/or device enumeration during bootup starting with BIOS initialization, and during restarting Windows after BIOS is already initialized. Please forgive if I am not using correct terminology. But I think the logic is correct. I wish there was a way to log every single step during both processes, but even the step-by-step option in the boot menu only goes so far and will not let me pinpoint the step at which the monitor blanks just before the desktop appears.

Need more knowledge. :)

Need more knowledge.

Hi chromatic47,

Sorry I can't help you any more. I gave up on the newer GeForce drivers after I got the bfg 7800 cards working with the older driver. I actually called up customer service/technical department of bfg in April 2008, asking about the shutdown and monitor problems under Win98, especially since Win98 was printed as system requirement on the box and GeForce v82.16 was on the accompanying CD as driver for Win98. They offered a refund right way, so they must have known. I said: "Hey, I don't want a refund, I want a working card." But they couldn't come up with a solution. 2 weeks later I received a letter from bfg with a RMA number (=Return Material Authorization), for getting a refund, even if I hadn't asked for one. I didn't return the cards, I liked them (except for the noise), they work fine with the older driver.

Sorry I can't help you any more.

Thanks for alerting me to the 77.72 drivers. I may end up trying them and if so will report back with results for anyone with a similar question.

But first I am going to try fiddling with the PCI Bus device enumeration options (Use Hardware or Use BIOS -- currently set to Use Hardware), and maybe the IRQ steering options too ... ya never know what may come from blind thrashing about. :) (Of course with prior backup of the registry, and a fresh Windows clone just to be safe!)

Edited by chromatic47

Just a update, but i just bought a cheap FX5200 128bit PCI card, i also have a Evga 5200. I am using the " Non tweak " drivers 82.69 and my shutdown problems are gone.

Shut down problems is not due to the none of the 80's drivers, it the video card. My 6200 can not shut down with none of the 80's drivers, but works just fine with the FX cards.