NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

Only adding the PCI DID, VID to INF file will 99% not help. 9xxx cards are based on newer GPU core. It's the same case when I was trying to run 7300GT with latest official drivers 81.?? with added INF entry. Drivers was installed OK then but buuted to VGA screen. I had to wait for unofficial 82.69. Nobody still proved if they work on 8xxx so I doubt it will work on 9xxx. As a last resort try universal VBEMP drivers by Bear Windows. It works fine if VESA BIOS is not crippled but it hasnt any kind of 2D/3D acceleration.
Well, we won't know for sure until we try!

• 2 weeks later...
7600 GS AGP... This seems to be the problem card in 9x...

I've got a Gigabyte 7600 GS 256MB AGP passive cooled card. On my test PC, it runs properly in XP.

But... 98SE on the same PC with 82.69 drivers, has missing triangles in DirectX games. Also some triangles have one point that is away in the wrong place - really weird effect!

(I even tried 81.98 and 82.16 drivers with 82.69 INFs... - just crashes at video driver initialisation...)

It does not seem to be random since I can navigate around this 'distorted' world!

I've tested a number of games with the same result.

98SE is up to date with Auto-Patcher 98.

Oddly, OpenGL games are okay!!!

I will try another clean install of 98SE to confirm.

Has anyone seen this problem with the 7600 GS AGP in 9x with 82.69 drivers?

Problem solved!

I was using a 350W PSU before...

I've installed a 430W PSU with 18A on the 12V rail...

All seems to work now with the 7600 GS 256MB and 82.69 drivers.

Looks like this card is a power sucker!

Problem solved!

I was using a 350W PSU before...

I've installed a 430W PSU with 18A on the 12V rail...

All seems to work now with the 7600 GS 256MB and 82.69 drivers.

Looks like this card is a power sucker!

I don't think this card is power sucker. Maybe your old PSU has some problem/bad design. I used it with Fortron 350W PSU without any problem. As I saw in some comparison chart this card takes only ~20W idle, 48W peak. It can work with passive heatsink. Now I have 7900GT with ~80W peak power and it also work with same 350W PSU. I measured 140W real RMS power consumption of my PC in 100% CPU load and without GFX load so there's still some reserved PSU power for GPU and other components.

Edited by xrayer

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PC with a K7S5A motherboard that uses the SiS 735 chipset. The motherboard has an AGP port that has a Leadtek WinFast A7300GT TDH AGP 256MB DDR2 NVIDIA video card installed. The card is connected to a KDS Visual Sensations VS-190i monitor. The PC is currently setup with a multi OS boot where it can boot into Windows 98SE, Windows XP Pro, Mepis Linux 7.0, or PCLinuxOS 2007. The video card is installed and works properly in Windows XP Pro, and it is also installed and is working properly in both Linux systems using the NVIDIA proprietary video drivers. I've tried the Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 for Windows 98/98 SE/ME, but after the driver is installed the Windows 98SE system freezes at reboot. Under both Windows 98SE and Windows XP Pro the NVIDIA driver installer cannot detect the Leadtek video card. The card required a manual driver install in Windows XP Pro, even though I was using the driver software that came with the card. When installing the Tweaked driver in Windows 98SE it was also necessary to perform a manual driver install. In the manual install in Windows 98SE the card is detected as a 7300GT, and it shows up in the Device Manager as a 7300GT after installation.

I have tried the other drivers that are mentioned in this thread and get the same results of Windows 98SE freezing at reboot. Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 is installed. I have tried installing the drivers after using Driver Cleaner Pro and rebooting, but Windows 98SE never reboots properly after installing the modded drivers.

I saw one posting where it was mentioned that the NVIDIA driver installs a generic Intel AGP GART driver and that the actual chipset driver needs to be reinstalled. I have the SiS AGP driver for the motherboard. Would it be necessary to reinstall the chipset AGP driver after installing the modded driver, before rebooting the PC to complete the NVIDIA driver installation?

Any information will be appreciated.

Followup:

I was trying some further installation attempts and some of them resulted in the PC performing a reboot during the bootup of Windows 98SE. Some other ones would not boot properly, then on the next boot would bring up the 16 color VGA screen. In the Device Manager the Nvidia GeForce 7300GT driver had an exclamation point with an error message that there was a problem with loading the driver and that it was disabled and that Windows would never try to load the driver again.

I would like to try to get this card running if someone can suggest what steps I can follow to troubleshoot the modded driver/and/or the motherboard AGP port driver.

Edited by GregB3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I also have a SiS chipset and a 7300GT... the 512MB AGP model... and appear to have the same problem of a black screen lock-up right before the desktop is supposed to display after installing the Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 on Windows ME :(
More than 256 mb of Video Ram is a problem. Most of the time it won't work! I've tried with my 8800 GT 512mb and I have the exact same symptom as you do. Sorry :(

Look a few pages above for more info.

• 3 weeks later...
You should be able to. I have not heard of anyone who could not use a 512MB video card under Win98 yet though.

This is a bad new. Are there 8800GT with 256M? I saw min 320MB if I remember. Maybe 8600 would have 256M but it's much more poor chip than 8800.

Can someone tell me does the 82.69 drivers work with the 8400GS, 8500GT, AND 8600GT Cards?

Also may i ask where did these drivers come from, is it easy to mod Nvidia drivers to make them work in win9x?

Does the Kernal patch help you run xp drivers on win9x?

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.

Well, so far no one has confirmed an 8000 series card working in 9x...

Since 8000 series cards come with lots of RAM onboard, this is a problem to start with.

I calculated that with 512 MiB of video RAM, the 9x memory settings would basically be zero meaning no address space left...

It probably also depends on the Mobo.

Possibly 320 MiB could be made to work with some strict limiting of 9x memory settings...

I'm not even sure how XP can manage it's System Arena with a video frame buffer of 768 MiB or higher...

9x uses a 1 GiB System Arena, where NT OSs by default split the System Arena over two 1 GiB address spaces.

XP with a 512 MiB video card would most certainly fail using the 3G switch that makes it's addressing work like 9x.

The drivers were a final beta leaked from nVidia. There was also a 82.16 beta released to OEMs for the last 9x officially supported cards.

Without the source code, that nVidia would never release, there is little chance of a binary update of these drivers.

As for XP drivers... No chance. XP uses an entirely different video driver architecture.