NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

Today,I took my 7950GT AGP 512MB to exchange a 7950GT AGP 256MB,and install it in win98 again and then the test result was wonderful :thumbup .Because it was successful to install it in win98 with 3G RAM which use himemx.exe.

So now,I can sure that win98 can't handle VideoCard with 512MB VRAM with AGP actually(whether the PCIE can work or not ?).

I tested the VideoCard with 3DMark2001 & 2003 in win98, and both of the test results are all pass,it works fine.The only problem is like the other ones who use MDGX's Driver with Nvidia 7-Series VideoCard,the win98 can't shutdown normally but can restart.So it's not a serious problem for me,because I can restart my PC to WINXP and shutdown it.

Finally,here are some pictures that captured from my win98 system about the 7950GT AGP 256MB test result .

1. The win98 install 7950GT AGP successful :thumbup . but in Nvidia Control Panel recognizes as unknown. :rolleyes:

2577525214_ab713b248f_b.jpg

2.3DMark 2001's test result.

2577652566_8fd3ba1703_b.jpg

3.3DMark03's test result.

2576821107_1734840eb6_b.jpg

Edited by StarRiver

>glocK_94

I think VRAM size is important because of Win98 maps all memory-mapped devices (including VGA framebuffer) to the top 1GB of address space which is also used for kernel, drivers and shared buffer. In my case the 256MB framebuffer is mapper in range E0000000-EFFFFFFF. If you have 512MB VGA it will eat one half of kernel space and other things then may not fit. It doesn't matter if AGP or PCI-E. In XP the kernel space is normally top 2GB so it's larger...

Maybe RLoew would say more accurate info to this.

BTW thx for link to bench. That Asus 7600GS silent is same as mine. Nice to see 7800 is also made as silent. As I can see performance gain is really big so I will upgrade then, probably to some 7900GT 256M because 7800 makes much heat (110 vs 90nm) and 7950GT-256MB is hard to buy here...

Currently I can play Crysis in 800x600, most settings high except object details which is locked to low, shadows detail=low and shading=medium - this options have the most impact to graphics perf. With this setting I can play in acceptable FPS not going under 20.

>StarRiver

Thank you for confirming that 7950GT works. As I said VRAM size DOES matter :)

I'm not sure how to limit VRAM size by software but I guess if you flash VGA BIOS from 256< version on 512M version, which use same VRAM speed and timings it would work. But if BIOS autodetects VRAM size it will not work, I don't know...

Edited by xrayer

The only problem is like the other ones who use MDGX's Driver with Nvidia 7-Series VideoCard,the win98 can't shutdown normally but can restart.So it's not a serious problem for me,because I can restart my PC to WINXP and shutdown it.

Yes...

BTW you don't need to boot XP, for automatic shutdown you can boot to W98 DOS mode and there are utilities like FDAPM which can shutdown ATX supply.

I also wrote small program that can shoot off ATX supply directly from windows but it have one issue, that even if I use sync tool to write disk buffers then because of win98 are not correctly shutted down then scandisk will appear on nex boot. Also some changes from registers maybe forgotten because system saves them at normal exit which didn't happen.

Edited by xrayer

As I said VRAM size DOES matter :)
:lol:
I think VRAM size is important because of Win98 maps all memory-mapped devices (including VGA framebuffer) to the top 1GB of address space which is also used for kernel, drivers and shared buffer. In my case the 256MB framebuffer is mapper in range E0000000-EFFFFFFF. If you have 512MB VGA it will eat one half of kernel space and other things then may not fit. It doesn't matter if AGP or PCI-E. In XP the kernel space is normally top 2GB so it's larger...
I was thinking PCI-e would be less of an issue because there is no AGP aperture size that adds itself to the VRAM. I'll see by myself anyway, since a 256mb 8800GT is impossible to find at a reasonable price here (It's actually more expensive than the 512mb version, can you believe it?)...

I was thinking PCI-e would be less of an issue because there is no AGP aperture size that adds itself to the VRAM. I'll see by myself anyway, since a 256mb 8800GT is impossible to find at a reasonable price here (It's actually more expensive than the 512mb version, can you believe it?)...

AGP aperture size just says how many system RAM can be additionaly used for VGA so if you disable it you could get same rasult as with PCI-E which doesn't use system RAM. BUT there's still entire VRAM mapped to Win98 kernel space and it seems that 512MB is too much. Look in your device manager/PC/memory resources how the top gigabyte (C0000000-FFFFFFFF) is occupied by various other devices...

Here are available two 256Meg 8800GT from Asus (EN8800GT/HTDP/256M, PCI-E) and Gigabyte which cost about 3000 CZK while 512Meg is for ~ 4000 CZK so it's not problem. I would buy it if it will work in 98se but nobody from friends have this 256M.

Edited by xrayer

Thanks StarRiver, for your tests.

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the 512MB card. I bought it at a store where I went for the first time and it was the only AGP card they had.

I mentioned that I added an extra 1GB to my PC and had maxphyspage set to 512MB. Well my Win98 install started to act up, the swap file couldn't be on another drive, Norton Windoctor couldn't access system.dat and startups that hung.

I looked at some of the other threads here and then d/l-ed himemx and tried with that and everything went back to normal...

Anyway, I'll try to get my Win98 through some virtual machine software. I really only need it for my printer, an HP710C, which has only the most basic support in XP with their 'standard driver'...

And I occasionally play some old games, some of which use 3DFX's Voodoo 2. Yep, I still got one of those in my system too.

DDP

7600 GS AGP... This seems to be the problem card in 9x...

I've got a Gigabyte 7600 GS 256MB AGP passive cooled card. On my test PC, it runs properly in XP.

But... 98SE on the same PC with 82.69 drivers, has missing triangles in DirectX games. Also some triangles have one point that is away in the wrong place - really weird effect!

(I even tried 81.98 and 82.16 drivers with 82.69 INFs... - just crashes at video driver initialisation...)

It does not seem to be random since I can navigate around this 'distorted' world!

I've tested a number of games with the same result.

98SE is up to date with Auto-Patcher 98.

Oddly, OpenGL games are okay!!!

I will try another clean install of 98SE to confirm.

Has anyone seen this problem with the 7600 GS AGP in 9x with 82.69 drivers?

I just got my 8800 GT PCI-e today! Unfortunatly, I can only confirm xrayer and StarRiver's statement about 512mb cards (thanks guys!). I modded the custom drivers to add the card's ID to the *.inf file. The card was detected and installed correctly. (by the way, I'll post the modded inf if anyone wants it)

Everything was fine until I restarted windows : "Windows Protection Error".

512mb of VRAM is more than Windows can handle. :(

It's not a surprise but I had to try...

So until we find a way to limit the Video RAM, I'm stuck with my 6200 AGP on win98. The 8800 PCI-e will be for XP only.

I can't find anything serious about "PCI address space" mapping under win9x...which seems to be the problem.

Edited by glocK_94

So until we find a way to limit the Video RAM, I'm stuck with my 6200 AGP on win98. The 8800 PCI-e will be for XP only.

I can't find anything serious about "PCI address space" mapping under win9x...which seems to be the problem.

As I suggested you may try to reflash BIOS from similar 256MB 8800 model. It should be always possible to flash it back with another PCI card inserted in PC. But rather ask guys here, they should know if this approach will work. BTW I'll get some cheap 7900GS 256M passive so I will report how it will work, hope it will :)

As I suggested you may try to reflash BIOS from similar 256MB 8800 model. It should be always possible to flash it back with another PCI card inserted in PC.
I'd really like to find a solution without downgrading the card. Anyway, I would still do it if I only had the 8800. However, I still have the 6200 on my AGP port for 98 to use. Besides, 512mb are useful nowadays (well, Call of Duty 4 seems to like it ;) ). I might do it a bit later just to try though.

Thanks for the link and good luck with the 7900! Keep us informed. :)

512 MB VRAM:

I think you are wasting time with this issue, trying to downgrade cards/flashing bios, etc.. because, as you can see in my previuos posts in this thread, particularly the n.156, I made my 512MB 6800 vga work with '98, but only on one motherboard out of three I tried.

To sum, I tried on :

- Asus P4B-533 (Intel ?815? chipset) with AGP 4X ----> OK, also with games (a few)

- Asus P4P-800-X (Intel 865) with AGP 8X -----> hangs at boot

- Biostar OEM (Via chipset with integrated graphic) and AGP 8x -----> hangs, but this kind of MoBo gave always problems with spare cards, even with an old 6600 128MB, that is officially supported by nvidia drivers.

So it IS possible to make 512MB cards work on W'98 without limiting RAM; in my opinion everything is up to the MoBo/chipset. Excluding the Via chipsets that are (in)famous for agp problems, in my experience it worked with an agp 4x while not with the 8x. I don't know if this is the key, but I hope someone of you can find a solution, 'cause I'm stuck like you and I'm looking for another 6800 (non-GS->officially supported) to exchange with mine.

Edited by 98er

You have saved my Windows 98 SE computer. :whistle:

Thank you very much!

Glad to hear it!

Could you perhaps tell us how we saved your computer?

What model nVidia card do you have?

Thanks.

It is an Nvidia 5500 card. Your link gave me the possibility of using it for Win 98 because there are not drivers for this OS on the drivers disk supplied by the manufacturer with the spare parts.