NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

...The full system works under W98 with the Gf4200ti so the agp driver works...

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before you swapped the video cards?

You should always remove the current drivers, then shutdown, swap the video card, restart, reinstall nVidia drivers.

Try uninstalling the drivers, restarting, and reinstalling the 82.69 drivers (with your missing PCI ID added to the INF).

Also, the nVidia drivers install a generic Intel AGP GART driver.

You must reinstall your chipset drivers after installing the nVidia drivers.

Hmmm .....

Yes, it was working well with the previous Ati 9800pro (now expired) and a spare Gf4200ti I keep for emergencies. On the same system with XP the 6800GS works well (I change only the boxed HD).

I've checked my notes and asked someone to double check for me ..... and we had a 6600gt and a 6800xt that requires agp voltage increased to 1.6v to make it work stable ...

...you will need to add PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F6&SUBSYS_040110B0&REV_A2 to your INF if required...

and that's enough?? It seems to easy; I already tried forcing detection but you know the result...

Yes, put this in the [Mfg] section :

%NVIDIA&DEV_00F6.DeviceDesc% = NV30, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F6&SUBSYS_040110B0&REV_A2

-or-

%NVIDIA&DEV_00F6.DeviceDesc% = NV30, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F6

and this into the [strings] section :

NVIDIA&DEV_00F6.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS AGP"

I've looked at 8198 and 8216 driver set and the above needs to be added ... It is already included in 8269 set ...

While you're at it, try reducing ram to 512mb to see it's not win98 memory management issue ...

Rgds

To rule out hardware problems, try to boot to a live Linux CD and play with resolutions/graphical applications. If the test comes out clean, then it's purely Win98 <-> driver issue.

But if you already have a dual-boot system (you mentioned it works in XP) and everything's OK in the other OS, then there's no need for a hardware check.

Well, i followed your advices and tried everything.

To summarize:

- It is NOT an HW problem because when I swap to the other HD with XP I can do everithing, included heavy games (UT3, Fear, Jericho,...) and it is stable.

Back to W98, I tried:

- Mgdx's 82.69 installing from setup.exe -> "no NV device found", so I extracted to a Temp dir and made the manual install but except for vga "safe" res I get a black screen at reboot, not even BSOD.

- added strings in the .inf of Zack's (both in nvagp.inf and in (?)nvaml.inf) and in the BFG 82.16, but as usual they don't find any nvidia card -> manual install and "general protection error" at reboot or sometimes an automatic reboot/reset during the black screen.

- every time I have to reboot into safe mode and set it to 16 colors and 640x480 to make it work in normal Windows booting, but when I tried to launch a couple of games (Quake3 and an older one) they didn't start (~"opengl...not installed" with Q3), so I believe it continues to work in a kind of 'safe' plain vga mode.

- every time I change drivers I follow the procedure and I also use DriverCleanerPro to clean up drivers because uninstalling them from the control panel doesn't work.

- during one of the last attempts I manually deleted vgartd.vxd (the Intel generic agp gart(?) driver I suppose) and reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers, with the usual black screen at reboot... luckily it was enough uninstalling again the card in safe mode to come out :o (shiver). I discovered vgartd.vxd is included in every driver pack, so it was useless!?

- I checked in the Bios for disabling "Video Bios cacheable","...shadowing"etc... as found in Mgdx instructions they could cause lockups and GPFs, but my Motherboard has none of those options (!?), maybe because is a cheap Asus P4P800-X (Intel 865+ICH5). The only significant option i found is AGP aperture size that was set to 64MB and I didn'touch.

- before doing anything I reduced ram to 512MB

- I tried so many times maybe I confused the errors, but the result is the same... :(

- I didn't try only the 81.98, but I think there's no difference (and dont know how to unpack)

At this point I think it is not a driver issue but an agp/chipset problem, since none of the setup.exe recognises any nvidia card.

By now I give up before f***ing up this HD, during the weekend I'll try on another system with another Hd to see if it can work and it's an incompatibility issue with my system or with my old W98 installation, not properly clean & fresh :D

Thanks to all by now

Edited by 98er

Well, I tried on another system and...it WORKS!

I tried another hd on an older system (Asus P4B-533 with AGP4x max supported), and the 6800GS works perfectly; then I moved that hd to my usual system (in sign) and as usual it got stuck at some point during the boot with only the cursor "_" blinking on the screen (this is new :P )

Then I tried a fresh install and... corrupted screen leading to bsod, as usual!

So the problem is not in the drivers (great!) but somewhere else with my chipset, as I suspected. I think there is an incompatibility between the card and the motherboard.

How can I set agp to 4x if there is no option in bios?

Thanks for the support, now I continue trying on my system, any advice is appreciate, but against bad luck... :rolleyes:

Nobody tried 82.69 drivers with 8xxx card yet? I googled a lot but no results.
I think someone on the forum did but I can't figure out who it was. Anyway, I might buy one this summer and be sure I'll let everybody know if it works.

@DirkDP : you don't need to register. I think there's a problem on MDGx's site. Maybe a .htaccess problem?

Edited by glocK_94

Thanks glocK_94.

I managed to get them from somewhere else and they don't seem to work...

Everything installs just fine and when I restart the PC hangs just before the Win98 GUI should appear.

I then restart in safe mode and right away there's an 'not enough memory error, remove some programs from config.sys etc...'

My PC had a Radeon 9800XT 256MB and 1GB, I added another GB and replaced the Radeon with the Sparkle 7600GS 512MB. I had the physical mem restricted to 512MB in system.ini.

I also did a clean install of Win98SE and added the 'maxphyspage' from DOS. When the Win install rebooted the PC hung straight away with the 'not enough memory error'...

I can start Win98 with the ATI drivers still in there, it then detects a PCI-Standard VGA device but when I install the N8269 drivers and reboot it hangs...

Could the 512MB on the Sparkle card have something to do with it?

And BTW, in XP it works with the 2GB memory and drivers from the Sparkle site.

Thanks glocK_94.

I managed to get them from somewhere else and they don't seem to work...

Everything installs just fine and when I restart the PC hangs just before the Win98 GUI should appear.

I then restart in safe mode and right away there's an 'not enough memory error, remove some programs from config.sys etc...'

My PC had a Radeon 9800XT 256MB and 1GB, I added another GB and replaced the Radeon with the Sparkle 7600GS 512MB. I had the physical mem restricted to 512MB in system.ini.

I also did a clean install of Win98SE and added the 'maxphyspage' from DOS. When the Win install rebooted the PC hung straight away with the 'not enough memory error'...

I can start Win98 with the ATI drivers still in there, it then detects a PCI-Standard VGA device but when I install the N8269 drivers and reboot it hangs...

Could the 512MB on the Sparkle card have something to do with it?

And BTW, in XP it works with the 2GB memory and drivers from the Sparkle site.

I see. This is probably the amount of RAM that causes the problem. Try to remove 1gb, run 98 and install the drivers. This way, you'll know if the video card works with the custom drivers or not.

If it works fine with limited memory, then you can head towards this thread to find different solutions to the 2gb of RAM problem. Sometimes, the system.ini modifications just don't work.

About the 512mb on the Sparkle, I doubt that this causes the problem. The AGP apperture size doesn't help but I really think your RAM is the source.

To memory problems I suggest to look at http://www.msfn.org/board/Help-I-need-to-G...0&start=120 thread and try himemx.exe replacement.

>glocK_94

What 8xxx do you plan? And what VRAM size? It maybe important for Win9x. There are choices of 256, 384, 512 and 768 MB I saw...

I thinkg such big VRAM is not so important I would rather take smaller amount of faster VRAM.

BTW what performance gain I should expect when replacing 7600GS by best model of 7800? Esp. in new games like Crysis. I don't know if this help because of 8xxx/9xxx line brings new features that are missing on 7xxx and this may cause big performance diff.

Edited by xrayer

@xrayer

Why do you think VRAM size could be important on 98?

I'm planning to buy a PCI-e 8800GT 512mb... That is if I can save enough money of course! Cards with less than 512mb would probably be enough, even for my widescreen resolution, however these cards are hard to find over here. I was going to buy an ATI 3870 but it lacks 98 drivers...

Anyway, you will see a perf increase if you get a 7800 (as long as it's not the 7800GS). Here's a benchmark that can be useful to you. Crysis should be playable with a 7800 if you don't turn everything on high!

I got a GeForce 7950GT AGP 512MB from friend.But while I install this videocard in win98,it's has the same problem like DirkDP ,the win98 can't boot successful....

I have already use himemx.exe so I can boot win98 with 3G RAM,but it's also fail to install the videocard....

So...I guess it's because the 512MB VRAM that win98 can't handle it.....

I had try many methods to install it , but thay all failed.....

Did anyone have any suggestion how to boot win98 with 512MB VideoCard ?

Since you have an AGP card, the AGP aperture size and VRAM probably use up all the arena memory. Try to lower the aperture size but that probably won't do the trick.

Did you try to actually remove 2gb to see what happens? I'm wondering if I'll get the same issue with a PCI-e card...

Did you try to actually remove 2gb to see what happens? I'm wondering if I'll get the same issue with a PCI-e card...

Yes,I had tried....

I had already try to remove 2.5GB only keep 512MB RAM ,but it also failed to install.....