NVidia drivers 82.69

Tihiy

Well, I have tested my configuration further and all I can say is just: It works! Great work, really :) Yes, I encountered some problems, but all are minor and can be fixed with some tweaking. I have a dual boot system with Windows XP, so in Windows 98 the games I played with were older ones, mostly. Again, some notes:

1. The "slowness" in UT2003 I mentioned before is probably only my subjective feeling. The benchmarks that UT2003 provides show only slightly lower FPS than in XP. Or may be it's related to the inferior CPU/memory management in Windows 98 in comparison with Windows XP? I don't know. This game is known to be rather CPU/memory hungry, after all. But I'll repeat: it is still fully playable. The "slowness" can be noticed only after one has just played the same game under Windows XP.

2. In 2D all is fine. But only if a 32bit color mode is used. In the 1024x768 16bit mode I noticed some weirdness: windows suddenly changing color, funny looking icons and tooltips and etc. The 2D/DirectDraw games I played look fine, even the 16bit mode ones like Heroes of Might&Magic 2 and 3 :)

3. The 3D games I played look fine too. However, I played with Direct3D 2/3/5 games mostly. The UT2003 was the newest game I played.

4. OpenGL as in Quake3 Arena is fine.

5. DOS games. Here comes some trouble... In pure DOS 7, I haven't seen any problems. But in a Windows 98 DOS box (fullscreen, of course)... some games produced severe graphic glitches. I think these games all use the VESA APIs for accessing the screen. The problems disappear when the "Standard PCI graphic adapter (VGA)" is used. But there may be a better way: there is a free program easily found on the internet, NOLFB. It is a TSR, which disables the advanced VESA modes, forcing the game to use the more basic (an problem-free) ones. Using this program, I was able to play all my DOS games under Windows 98 without any graphic problems.

I installed the 82.69mod drivers on a Windows 98 SE. For now, all seems to work (relatively) fine. The system is:

3. Yes, I can't shutdown the computer anymore too!

Have you tried the shutdown supplement? Also check if you have "assign irq for vga" set to "enable" in bios.

Have you tried the shutdown supplement?

No, but I have installed the unofficial service pack 2.1a. AFAIK, it comes with newer versions of all files that the shutdown supplement updates.

Also check if you have "assign irq for vga" set to "enable" in bios.

My bios setup doesn't contain such an option; however, the resource table that the bios shows at POST time indicates the VGA card does get an IRQ (it's an AWARD bios).

P.S. My shutdown problem is exactly the same as the one described here.

Edited by vbdasc

• 2 weeks later...

Salute !!

First a big thank for this Driver !!!

i have testet this 8269 Driver with my new Bliss Geforce 7600 GT AGP (G73 chip) Device ID 02E0 . Runs perfekt , but i have shutdown problems.

replace it with Aopen 6800 Gt AGP no problem with shutdown.

would it be possible to modify this Driver to run the Geforce 7950 GT AGP (G71) Device ID 02E4 ???? No Way run Normal Mod in Win98 SE, Save Mod in VGA works.

Sorry for my English ... long Time ago

mfg KH

My System an old p4 3.06 512mb ram using 1 HDD for w98 and 1 HDD for XP

Salute !!

First a big thank for this Driver !!!

i have testet this 8269 Driver with my new Bliss Geforce 7600 GT AGP (G73 chip) Device ID 02E0 . Runs perfekt , but i have shutdown problems.

replace it with Aopen 6800 Gt AGP no problem with shutdown.

would it be possible to modify this Driver to run the Geforce 7950 GT AGP (G71) Device ID 02E4 ???? No Way run Normal Mod in Win98 SE, Save Mod in VGA works.

mfg KH

My System an old p4 3.06 512mb ram using 1 HDD for w98 and 1 HDD for XP

Your wish is my command... ;)

Added device ID 02E4 .

Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Driver 82.69 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php

NV8269.EXE [14.5 MB, multilingual]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

HTH

Thank You for the Update!

But the Driver does not go :-((

Tested with an modded Win98 SE: runs in Vga 16color an no Way to change

anything. Need long time to start.

Tested with an orig. Win98 SE: System hangs on initializion.Does not start in

normal Modus.

SaveMOde runs.

Before i installed the new 8269, i cleared all nivida thing and installed

VAG display Adapter. REgistry i cleared also.

There must be one switch in the Install-Routine.

Possible in the Nvinst32.dll ?????? View with the Hexedit shows no G71 Infos.

G70 and g73 are placed there.

Hope you will find a Way ....

Win98 gives me 2000 POints(3dGmark2001) more in Win98 then in WinXP

with the Geforce 6800 GT (14700 // 16700 )

mfg KH

• 2 weeks later...

MDGx, first lemme say kudos to you for at least getting the 7950GT (DevID 02E4) recognized in Win98!

I'm having a similar issue to what K-H described. I had to do a manual install since the auto-installer didn't detect the card. After the manual install the card seemed to be detected correctly. I tried to adjust resolution, which only allowed me to go up to 1024x768 @ 256 colors and required a restart. After the restart I was presented with a nice BSOD which is preventing Windows from loading.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I use an old MSI MS-8817 V1 StarForce MX Series (nVidia GeForce2 MX400), in my ASUS A7V600-X board (which has VIA KT-600 / VT-8237 chipsets). So I don't really need to upgrade my video drivers, but I tested the 82.69 drivers to determine their compatibility with my old nVidia. I found out that they do work. But as with any nVidia drivers newer than 29.42, if I try to "Restart in MS-DOS mode" I get a blank black screen (the system gets into MS-DOS mode, for I can type blindly commands to reboot or turn-off the ATX power source and they work, but I see no video output). The same happens with the 29.90 drivers and with every 4x.xx or 3x.xx drivers that I've tested, up to now. But I've seen no comment on this issue here, and by surfing the internet found only two references to it:

[W98SE restart to MS Dos hangs] in the "Experts-Exchange", the two next-but-last comments (10.15.2002), both by josphII and [cannot Restart in MS-DOS mode], in the "WindowsBBS", post #2 (20th April 2003) by merlin. I don't reproduce the texts in those posts here because they add nothing new to what I said above, except that they show this has happened to others before.

Also, if I boot the system directly in MS-DOS, without loading Windows, there is no problem with the video output, but this is to be expected, I think.

Now, my question is: is this due to my specific hardware? Can some or all of you who tested 82.69, in Win 98 SE, restart in MS-DOS mode without any problems? Please do provide feedback!

As a solution for those who have this issue with the GeForce2 MX400, I recommend using the 29.42 drivers, but with

nvdd32.dll and nvopengl.dll from version 32.20, for added compatibility with DirectX and OpenGL. At least for me, this set up works flawlessy. And this may work with other old boards as well...

Edited by dencorso

Just to relate my experience.

Yes, the shutdown AND the restart to MS-DOS Mode get broken by late model NVidia drivers in 98SE.

However the MS-DOS thing can be worked around by making a shortcut to command.com (the one in the Windows folder, not the Command folder!!!). Just type in the stuff you want to load in the Use a specific configuration boxes for Autoexec and Config.sys and when you use that shortcut the system shuts down and restarts in MS-DOS Mode properly and returns to Windows properly when you're done.

No fix that I'm aware of for using the actual Windows Shutdown. The darned thing always just leaves me with my monitor blinking the message, "Check System Display Settings," (or something like that) and I need to hold the power button to get the computer to shut off.

A safer way is to just always use Restart since that does always work, unlike Shutdown that sometimes closes Windows properly and sometimes doesn't. You can't tell which since all we see is the blinking monitor message while the computer still is running. With Restart, we can hold the power button down when we see and hear that Windows has unloaded and just turn the power off that way. No monitor malfunction when we use Restart. At least then we won't get ScanDisk on bootup the times when Shutdown wasn't finished and we had no way of knowing.

I've got to use a relatively recent driver since I have a GeForce 6600GT. Works great except for this problem.

Just to relate my experience.

Yes, the shutdown AND the restart to MS-DOS Mode get broken by late model NVidia drivers in 98SE.

[...]

I've got to use a relatively recent driver since I have a GeForce 6600GT. Works great except for this problem.

Thanks a lot, Eck! :thumbup Your feedback is most appreciated!

My experience with the v82.69 drivers is that they work, but the Shutdown and Restart to MS-DOS Mode options don't work for me anymore, and the driver is to be blamed. In fact, all Eck said is fully valid for my case too. The only difference is that my videocard is 7600GT.

Does anybody successfully run PCI-E GF7xxx/8xxx witch this modded drivers?

I downgraded from 7300 PCI-E to 6600GT PCI-E before this driver was released and I don't longer have 7300 so I cannot test it. But i somebody have some proven model I would like to upgrade.

My experience with the v82.69 drivers is that they work, but the Shutdown and Restart to MS-DOS Mode options don't work for me anymore, and the driver is to be blamed. In fact, all Eck said is fully valid for my case too. The only difference is that my videocard is 7600GT.

I have a nVidia GeForce FX 5200 and have used drivers 77.72, 81.98, and these unofficial 82.69 drivers (currently installed).

I can't really say that I've had any problems with any of them although obviously my card is officially supported in 9x.

The only time I might have a restart or shutdown issue resulting in a black screen with cursor is if the Windows 98SE kernel becomes unstable.

Okay, so I have several driver versions I can use, but it must be the actual drivers that are causing shutdown/restart issues rather than the card.

I'm using a MSI MS-6321 (694D Pro) dual PIII mobo (only CPU2 used in 98) with AGP, 1GB RAM and Windows 98SE.

I have Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a, Auto-Patcher 98 August 2007, 98SE2ME 7.4, and Revolutions Pack 7 (current update fixes nVidia related issues) installed.

I personally think that the 82.69 drivers have a noticable performance increase over the 81.98 drivers.

Many thanks to MDGx for a sweet driver suite! :hello:

Okay, so I have several driver versions I can use, but it must be the actual drivers that are causing shutdown/restart issues rather than the card.

I'm using a MSI MS-6321 (694D Pro) dual PIII mobo (only CPU2 used in 98) with AGP, 1GB RAM and Windows 98SE.

You have quite old system with AGP where I wouldn't expect any problems. I had Abit BX133 Raid with GF4MX440 AGP and it worked perfectly under 98SE including shutdown. The problem is nowdays screwed up mobos/bioses (I mean 9xx chipsets + PCIE)

Edited by xrayer