How to know if a hotfix is obsolete (replaced)?

lorcan

Hi all!

Everything is in the topic title : I'm looking for a tool, a website, or any other way to know which WinXP SP2 hotfixes are outdated, obsolete, replaced ... without having to read every Microsoft security bulletins and knowledge articles :-)

I'm looking for such lists or tools so that I wouldn't integrate osbolete hotfixes ESPECIALLY when I want to integrate IE7 and WMP1 at first and then all the hotfixes. I don't want to overwrite IE7 and MP11 with old files. In this way I would like to know which are the hotfixes not to integrate so that I don't corrupt IE7/MP11.

Thanks in advance

You can use Windows Updates Downloader to download the updates. There's an option to remove obsolete/replaced updates.

Another option is using RyanVM's Update Pack to directly integrate all the latest updates in one go. The update pack is available as a single file download around 50 MB and its maintained and updated regularly. Using this pack, you don't need to worry about outdated or obsolete updates.

Finally, there's ERPMan's Windows 2000 & Windows XP System Updates Page which lists all the current updates along with which updates replaces what.

lorcan , you know what else...kinda stretched but it may help:

(This is only for this purpose of older hotfix detection, not how I normally do things)

Integrate IE7 first, then all other hotfixes with reporting enabled, then nlite prompts during those hotfixes if some file is obsolete, then if you see that you get multiple prompts for the same hotfix during progress then it's more likely that it is obsolete and you may check it.

For example if it says mshtml.dll, detected newer version on CD then imidiatelly you can ditch that hotfix because it is for IE6.

You can use Windows Updates Downloader to download the updates. There's an option to remove obsolete/replaced updates.

Another option is using RyanVM's Update Pack to directly integrate all the latest updates in one go. The update pack is available as a single file download around 50 MB and its maintained and updated regularly. Using this pack, you don't need to worry about outdated or obsolete updates.

Finally, there's ERPMan's Windows 2000 & Windows XP System Updates Page which lists all the current updates along with which updates replaces what.

lorcan , you know what else...kinda stretched but it may help:

(This is only for this purpose of older hotfix detection, not how I normally do things)

Integrate IE7 first, then all other hotfixes with reporting enabled, then nlite prompts during those hotfixes if some file is obsolete, then if you see that you get multiple prompts for the same hotfix during progress then it's more likely that it is obsolete and you may check it.

For example if it says mshtml.dll, detected newer version on CD then imidiatelly you can ditch that hotfix because it is for IE6.

Thanks to you both :)

Nuhi, I've used the method you described and it works fine. It's really what I was looking for. Thanks again.

By the way, congratulations for your marvelous nLite! ;)