Fomatting IN NTFS Mode

diginode

Can anyone help ... how Can I format any partition in NTFS from dos prompt? any software? pls help...

I'm curious as to the reasons behind why you would want to format in NTFS from DOS?

Can anyone help ... how Can I format any partition in NTFS from dos prompt? any software? pls help...

I'm curious as to the reasons behind why you would want to format in NTFS from DOS?

I have several Ghost image for severl work for diff PC. So it is difficult to carry many DVD with DVD ROM. So I want use MY Spare HDD as this pupose. I format partition By norton PQMAGIC, but when I dump ghost image on in, PC says, insert boot media. But if I format by win 2000 or XP disk and next I dump ghost image, it is working OK. So I need one utility software that runs on dos system and format the existing pattition in NTFS.

So I need one utility software that runs on dos system and format the existing pattition in NTFS.

From what you report, it seems to me like you do not need an utility to "format" anything.

All you need is an utility to write the correct MBR to the disk, this has nothing to do with "formatting" but rather with "fdisking".

You see, a partition image, being an image, ALREADY has (its own) format, including it's bootsector.

What you are missing is the MBR and the partition tables within it.

If I am not mistaken, GHOST has provisions for this, but not being really familiar with it, I'll suggest you an alternate program (but there are several other ones) to remain on Symantec/Powerquest products :

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...lities/head.zip

You want to use the "MBRUTILD.EXE" program, (there is also a MBRUTIL.EXE for NT/2K/XP):

MBRUtil Copyright (c) 2002 PowerQuest Corporation
Invalid arguments
Usage:
MBRutil.exe [/?] [/S[H]=<fileName>] [/R[H]=<fileName>]
/S Save MBR (sector 1 only) to <fileName>
/SH Save entire first head to <fileName>
/R Restore MBR (sector 1 only) from <fileName>
/RH Restore entire first head from <fileName>

all you have to do is run mbrutild.exe /S PCname.bin to save the MBR when imaging and mbrutild.exe /R PCname.bin when restoring.

You can find here:

http://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/index.html

an extensive reference on MBR and bootsectors and links to various freeware tools.

jaclaz