Up-to-date Windows 2000 universal install media creation guide

Kurt_Aust

I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere but Gurgelmeyer's USP5 (when slipstreamed) is not compatible with installation from USB where you're using programs such as WinSetupFromUSB (or other similar) to prepare your source.

Edited by tomasz86

• 3 weeks later...

April update .Net only

Deleteions:

RunOnce\dotNet11SP1_UH_Mar12.exe

RunOnce\dotNet20SP2_UH_Mar12.exe

Addition:

Download from MediaFire Hotfix_2000sp5_N_date.7z (.Net 1.1 SP1 & .Net 2.0 SP2) and extract it into the same directory that you chose to extract the Config archive into (see notes part 4 for other options).

MD5: 8C237AD6DB5972AA1BF54B06C233287C

SHA-1: 74AB2B17BF908A83EB972C45CBE65B1447F309EF

Tomasz:

Not really, I only include the .Net packs due to the huge space saving they supply on the install media. After all, there are plenty of options out there if someone wants to take a more aggressive stance on keeping Windows 2000 updated, for instance OnePiece's all-in-one solutions or your work.

However I found odd corner cases when using OnePiece's XP solution that I don't get when using User Hidden's more conservative update packs and the risk of something going wrong with Windows 2000 is much greater due to the smaller base using and testing such update packs.

As I see it the primary use for Windows 2000 these days should be on low powered systems isolated from the Internet or as a virtual machine on more recent operating systems where its low system requirements don't impose much of a performance hit (on this point it's a **** shame that VirtualBox doesn't do Win9x).

Edit:

Seriously, is Rhett Butler's final line of "Frankly my dear, I don't give a ****!" still regarded as too shocking for our tender young readers?

Edited by Kurt_Aust

I see. I asked because there are basically too many options at the moment and people get confused which path to choose :ph34r:

So you're saying that your guide is targeted at people wanting to use W2K on a VM or a PC that's not connected to the Internet, not those using it as their main system. Is it right?

So you're saying that your guide is targeted at people wanting to use W2K on a VM or a PC that's not connected to the Internet, not those using it as their main system. Is it right?

Not so much targeted at those groups (although with auto installation of VM drivers it's certainly good for that) as rather that as it's no longer officially supported and more and more programs don't run on it without hacks it's inherently unsafe to use as an internet connected main box. Naturally one can diminish the risk greatly by locking the system right down but that reduces it's utility.

A friend of mine bought an iPhone 4S (yes, I know) from a major telco retail store a couple of months ago and was not impressed when I pointed out that the system they entered all her personal and credit card details was running IE6 on W2K.

@Kurt_Aust, I thought that the purpose of the work of BWC, Wild Bill, and tomasz86 was to try and add back both the security and the utility that you are talking about Win2K losing over the years. Don't you see it that way? And I thought your guide was a pretty general purpose one for anyone who wanted to continue using Win2K for whatever reason. That's why I have been encouraging tomasz86 to get in touch with you to combine your work. Maybe I had misunderstood something along the way.

Cheers and Regards

I certainly admire their efforts in that regard and of course one can use this guide anyway one sees fit but I for one would not recommend Windows 2000 for front line use these days.

To use the infamous car analogy, if you took a 1930's car that had been sealed away and was in mint condition it wouldn't be as safe to drive as an equivalent brand new model. Sure you could retrofit some things, seat belts shouldn't be too hard for instance, but good luck retrofitting crumple zones. By the way I usually use this analogy to describe why the ****ashima reactor partial meltdown is a poor reason to write off nuclear power.

At one stage I was considering taking an old box and using W2K on it as the basis of a media PC, but 10 minutes down the road they're selling ex-lease Core2 quad machines for $230. At that price it simply isn't worth mucking around with a box from 2003 running W2K that I wouldn't really trust on the internet.

Edit:

What is with the censoring on this site, that wasn't even a dirty word, at least not in English.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

• 4 weeks later...

May update .Net only

Delete RunOnce\dotNet20SP2_UH_Apr12.exe and

Download from MediaFire Hotfix_2000sp5_N_date.7z (.Net 1.1 SP1 & .Net 2.0 SP2) and extract it into the same directory that you chose to extract the Config archive into (see notes part 4 for other options).

MD5: 1F533A3554563213E71226596A5B0EF9

SHA-1: 8E41C9CE2BCDB2C3130EF7CC133851A4026B4FF7

Also added a security warning to the start of the main post.

• 1 month later...

June update

Deletions:

RunOnce\dotNet11SP1_UH_Apr12.exe

RunOnce\dotNet20SP2_UH_May12.exe

Replace: (optional)

Runonce\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe . 6,761,832

MD5: 24E94B2C94CE2D3A77F95C7A5167CD08

SHA-1: 59CBFBAD1DD1B5FDEFB169C847E9B077F4DC37A3

Unfortunately over the last month Mozilla and Opera have dropped support for Windows 2000 meaning that no current mainstream web browser works properly on Windows 2000.

What do you mean by a limited account? I've just tried it while being logged in as a normal "User" and it seems to work OK. The browser itself is extremely unstable but it's another story...

That might be due to the unofficial kernel you use, with a standard kernel launching Opera as a member of the Users group brings up the following message box:

Startup error

Opera has failed to access or upgrade your profile. This may have occurred because your computer has insufficient resources available or because some files are locked by other applications. You may have to restart your computer before Opera will start again.

OK