Vmware 4 Workstation Blues

b0r3d

This problem is a bastard, and its really giving me the s***s.

in VMware 4 Workstation, I load my ISO file (in my case, and Unattended XP install ISO), i install windows, which works fine, but when the PC reboots for the first time, it just hangs on the boot screen. (The one with the windows logo, and the little flying blue staus bar) It just sits there. Taunting me. Also, if that wasnt bad enough, if i leave it tehre for about 10 minutes, it decides that it doesnt want to respond anymore and i have to get it put down by nasty Mr Task Manager.

Has anyone heard of this problem, or know how to fix it ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My first step is always to delete the vmware profile and make a new one from scratch. If xp setup is hanging at the logo, that's usually a bad version of ntoskrnl.exe. See if it's the right version, see if you can go into safe mode. Try the latest version of vmware. Make sure you have enough free space and do a chkdsk.

-gosh

What gosh said may work for you, happend to me also and i fixed it by just deleting the virtual disk and creating a new one. Dont forget to create snapshots when you actually get into windows the first time. saves a lot of time reinstalling.

Vmware is far better than VirtualPC(IMHO) specially when it comes to networking several VMs but that may change when Microsoft releases their own version of VirtualPC.