Absolute MINIMAL install

NunyerB

hi all

so far this is how far i have gotten

picking vista home basic x86

vlite = every check mark ON

installed all my drivers and windows updates that would let me (had problem with net3.0) and didnt dload extras or language packs

installed DirectX april

im sitting right at 3.Gigs (after i delete temp files and everything in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"

maybe someone can help me

what i want is just a DirectX 10 gaming box with net connection

i dont care if the box is a security risk

here is my system specs

amd x2 4200 OC to 2.6ghz

2gig ram

asus a8n32-sli-deluxe (latest bios)

4 sata drives in a raid0 (bios-raid) nvraid

syncmaster 215tw (using DVI)

i want to delete everything i can after vista is installed (so if anyone knows any directories i can delete and services i can turn off) i would appreciate it

i seen a vista tweak guide on these forums i will look at again BUT first i want to delete as much as i can after vista is installed

i have seen alot of MBs in the following dirs...

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp = 1.5gigs and its a temp dir??? wont let me delete any of the files (ive tried)

C:\Windows\winsxs = 1gig not really sure what this is

remember im going to have linux installed on another partition for surfing etc....

all i want with the vista install is just a GAMING box with net (thats it) i dont care about security at all or user accounts

for a long time now i have wondered why dont MS release just a GAMING OS and please dont tell me go buy an xbox/xbox 360

vlite is the only app i am aware of that CAN get this done (it can get rid of anything almost and in affect make it into a gaming box with net)

now the rest (since i use everycheck mark to on in vlite) is cleaning up and disabling services

if someone can help out on this we can have the ultimate gaming box with DX10 and net

if anyone is intrested in this let me know and i will help test to any settings you say as far as deleting files/dirs and diabling services

thanks

Don't mix size with speed. Removing, or at least disabling services for now would yield much more in terms of speed and RAM memory.

http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html

Removing some random folders just because they are big will gain you nothing except more free hdd space.

yes i am aware of that.

that is why in my 1st post in this thread i mentioned both services and cleaning up directories

i know it dont take 4gigs of disk space to have DX10 and net working

this kind of a project is to get the "Bare minimum" as far as install size and services.

vlite does a pretty good job but it still leaves a 3gig install and i know it dont take 3 gigs for DX10 and net to work (there has to be some more stuff we can delete)

dont forget the actual games these days are around 4-8 gig

dont think vista has to have 3-4gigs to make a game work in multiplayer

so if anyone is intrested lets see how small we can get vista installed to and with minimum services....

i went through and set every service to manual that it would let me (i think 4-5 services stayed on automatic no matter what) but vista booted which i was surprised

will start to set prob 10 at a time to disabled pretty soon and see if it can do it

if it wont then i will have to enable it and goto the next 10

**** vista has alot of services

look at the xbox 360, how big is its OS... and its only using DX9

i know the pc is not an xbox but a pc running vista or xp should be able to be trimmed down quite a bit just for purely gaming on the net...

no wmp no IE7 no security

etc....

shouldnt be to difficult

im really surprised this hasnt been done along time ago...

well nlite/vlite makes it all possible but maybe there is a profile nuhi can make for like net and gaming that just hacks the crap out of vista or xp (for multiplayer gaming

would be nice :)

Edited by NunyerB

This is my goal as well. I'm using the 64 bit OS though for scalability. I'm going to test disabling a lot of the services indicated on speedyvista and I'll keep you updated.

sweet

im going to do the same thing as far as trying services and files to disable/delete

im having some problems for getting a good base to start with though so im going to need a bit of time

what im trying to do is make a true image first (this is of the vista ultimate x86) full install with no options turned off in vlite yet

then im going to install that then install vlite and then im going to make to more dvds (one with no options in vista home basic x86 and the other same thing but in x64)

THEN when that boots i got to make 2 more dvds for trueimage so that way i can easily restore back to a state where it was with the vista iso i made of either x86 or x64

AND my dvd burner is giving me problems right now i keep on having to erase a dvd and then install trueimage and then try and make an image of the HD and i keep getting errors

give me some time and ill have some data for you and whoever is intrested

will be working on it late tonight

Without going into much detail suffice is to say that eventually vLite will get there and you will be able to remove all that you don't need with a click of a button, but as you no doubt already know it takes time to debug that.

So until then all I can say again it's easier to disable than it is to remove post install. If you mess something up it can't boot and you end up frustrated.

Of course you're welcomed to try, my advice for the start is don't delete winsxs subfolders, it contains needed runtimes and component backup files, which are needed for the hotfix installs, unless found otherwise. That component is hidden in vLite as of lately, too much fuss and by removing more components winsxs is shrinking anyway.

I'll see about that driver store temp folder, seems to me it's post install thing, I would catch it on the radar if it was that big in the image prior the install.

Without going into much detail suffice is to say that eventually vLite will get there and you will be able to remove all that you don't need with a click of a button, but as you no doubt already know it takes time to debug that.

So until then all I can say again it's easier to disable than it is to remove post install. If you mess something up it can't boot and you end up frustrated.

Of course you're welcomed to try, my advice for the start is don't delete winsxs subfolders, it contains needed runtimes and component backup files, which are needed for the hotfix installs, unless found otherwise. That component is hidden in vLite as of lately, too much fuss and by removing more components winsxs is shrinking anyway.

I'll see about that driver store temp folder, seems to me it's post install thing, I would catch it on the radar if it was that big in the image prior the install.

thanks nuhi

yea i was looking in that "C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup" and mine measues 357MB and this is with the original vista ultimate x86 edition

i boot into the original so that way i can get vlite, nero and acronis working then i "Make ISO" of a vista home basic by checkmarking all to on (that will be like my base install) but i cant get there cause i just got a new sony dru830a and it had a firmware of SS25 and i got the latest firmware on sony site for that drive and it said it was SS22 so i installed it hoping there would be an option to back the bios up but there wasnt one so it flashed it to SS22 like i told it too...

now since im making coasters right and left (luckily im using dvd-rws) but still they are bad burns....im beginning to wonder if the shipped firmware was newer then what i dloaded

fighting other problems right now but will get back on track trying to see what can be deleted....it might be able to help you a (little) with finding more stuff that can be turned off with vlite

i swear i think i have OCD because i used to play with slackware since about 1998 and i would uncheck mark things it its installer to see how far i could get before it wouldnt start (with slack i was able to get it down to 170MBs and still get in to X (if i remember right)

nuhi what are the only components that will be left when vlite is finished (goal wise)

will the core be DX10? or some other component AND also MS releases DX10 bi-monthly if we update to the latest (fixes lots of game problems in vista currently) will it affect any other component in vlite if we did all the checks on (to remove everything we can)

just wondering what your plans will be for the minimal install using vlite (what will have to stay on the HD to make vista boot)

will the core be DX10?

In case you don't know, the "Core" - labeled builds of Codename Longhorn Server are DX10-capable and can be reduced to a ~ 400 Mb disc. If you are comfortable with installing a new shell over the command prompt, it's a pretty tempting option.

will the core be DX10?

In case you don't know, the "Core" - labeled builds of Codename Longhorn Server are DX10-capable and can be reduced to a ~ 400 Mb disc. If you are comfortable with installing a new shell over the command prompt, it's a pretty tempting option.

now what is this???

sounds very intresting

could you explain a bit more? the only thing i got out of what you said was that another shell will be installed over the command prompt which i dont have any problem with....can it be bash :)

ok so are you talking about the "CORE" - labeled builds of Codename Longhorn Server as the vista edition?

explain more pease cause 400MB = now were talking (thanks to nuhi) :)

just did a google search for "core longhorn server" and here is what it showed

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...orn-server.html

now i read the article (which is intresting) but i dont think i could play games on it cause it dont have a gui

nuhi do you know anything about this stuff?

its the first time i seen a MS product without a gui since dos

:)

Edited by NunyerB

Why do you say it does not have a GUI ? it's just cmd.exe running as shell instead of explorer.exe, everything else works normally. If you were to copy explorer and needed dlls from Enterprise to Enterprise Core it should work with no trouble.

Microsoft is aiming to a more componentized Server platform (like XP Embedded construction logic), so Server Core is made by adding the server components on top of Windows PE 2.0 and nothing else. Memory usage is somewhere between 130 and 170 Mb. It is very well manageable using WMI from a MMC console started from a different network computer.

Essentially, it is the 6001 kernel (95% identical to Vista) and the drivers on top of it. That also includes DirectX 10. So I'd say it's the perfect gaming machine. With litestep instead of cmd as shell it should do the job.

I've been doing beta testing to Core products for almost a year now and I am very happy of their functionality. vLite already can remove most of the extra stuff from it. So go ahead and see what you can get to run on it, sysprep it with -generalize -activated and reconstruct the WIM.

Note: one of the great features of the Vista setup is that you can also vLite it after running sysprep. So you also could install the server components you need first, sysprep and then use vLite. This way even if the component installer is broken you still get a running server.

Edited by dexter.inside