Need help pulling a registry value from a batch file

Okay, I'm trying to pull a registry key value into a variable and am having issues. FOR statements always mess me up...

Here is what I have so far.

FOR /F "skip=2 delims=~" %%K in ('REG QUERY ^"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders^" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%K

This should work on every 2k/xp machine so feel free to please run it.

What I'm trying to do is take the 3rd part of %KEY% (which should be %USERPROFILE%\My Documents), but I can't get it to work. And yes, this MUST be done in batch. Thanks for any help.

FOR /F "skip=4 tokens=2*" %%i in ('REG QUERY ^"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders^" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%j

That REG.EXE output actually generates 7 lines, the first 4 of which should be ignored.

hmmm, just for the record, REG.EXE is not "default" on Win2K, you have to install it expressly.

However, on my Win2K the /v syntax appears not to be working, this one does:

@echo off
REM FOR /F "skip=2 delims=~" %%K in ('REG QUERY ^"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders^" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%K
:: delims is a TAB
FOR /F "tokens=3* delims= " %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal"') DO ECHO %%K

jaclaz

Yes, the delims is a tab, but there's no need to specify it explicitly as the default delims set consists of space and tab.

FOR /?
delims=xxx - specifies a delimiter set. This replaces the
default delimiter set of space and tab.

Okay one more question with this script...

Here it is in its entirety:

::@ECHO OFF

:: Find where My Docs has been redirected to
FOR /F "skip=4 tokens=2*" %%I in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%J

:: Create Bluezone dir, if it doesnt exist
MKDIR "%KEY%\Bluezone\"
MKDIR "%KEY%\Bluezone\Config\"

:: Copy local .zmd files up to redirected store, if they dont exist
FOR %%K in ("%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Bluezone\Config\*.zmd") DO (
IF NOT EXIST "%KEY%\Bluezone\Config\%%~nxK" XCOPY "%%K" "%KEY%\Bluezone\Config\"
)

PAUSE

For some reason, it seems to be taking %USERPROFILE% from %KEY% literally and not as a variable. Why?

I re-checked, the token appears to be 3*, not 2* , however it still does not work with /v syntax :unsure:

@dexter

yes, you are right, the line without "delims= " works allright. :)

Can anyone try running this?:

@echo off
CLS
SET KEY=
:: delims is a TAB
FOR /F "tokens=3* delims= " %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal"') DO SET KEY=%%K
ECHO KEY1 IS %KEY%
ECHO.

SET KEY=
FOR /F "skip=4 tokens=2*" %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%K
ECHO KEY2 IS %KEY%
ECHO.

SET KEY=
FOR /F "tokens=3*" %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal"') DO SET KEY=%%K
ECHO KEY3 IS %KEY%
ECHO.

SET KEY=
FOR /F "skip=4 tokens=3*" %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Personal') DO SET KEY=%%K
ECHO KEY4 IS %KEY%
ECHO.

SET KEY=
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%K in ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Personal') DO IF %%K==Personal SET KEY=%%L
ECHO KEY5 IS %KEY%
ECHO.

What I get is the following:

KEY1 IS %USERPROFILE%\Documenti

KEY2 IS History

KEY3 IS %USERPROFILE%\Documenti

KEY4 IS %USERPROFILE%\Impostazioni

KEY5 IS %USERPROFILE%\Documenti

i.e. "odd" keys (using "my" and "dexter's" code) do work, while "even" ones, based on the /v syntax, do not, #2 gets, as said above the wrong token, #4 gets last item and NOT the right one.

jaclaz

Sorry, fly, crossposting.

For some reason, it seems to be taking %USERPROFILE% from %KEY% literally and not as a variable. Why?

It is perfectly normal, the VALUE of "KEY" is %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\, you need to transform it before:

ECHO %KEY%
CALL SET KEY=%KEY%
ECHO %KEY%

jaclaz

Sorry, fly, crossposting.

It is perfectly normal, the VALUE of "KEY" is %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\, you need to transform it before:

ECHO %KEY%
CALL SET KEY=%KEY%
ECHO %KEY%

jaclaz

Interesting. I can't say that I totally understand why that is, but thanks!

Since you are not directly requiring an environment variable, use a more appropriate key insted!

@for /f "tokens=3 delims=	" %%? in ('reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v Personal^|find "REG_"') do @echo/%%?

All on one line!

You could even move to vbscript and use either of these two methods of getting the path:

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strMyDocs = WshShell.SpecialFolders("MyDocuments")
Wscript.Echo strMyDocs

Const MY_DOCS = &H5&
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(MY_DOCS)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.Self
Wscript.Echo objFolderItem.Path

What does the %%? do? I am used to seeing letters, like %%i for example.

Try to see a variable in a FOR loop INSTEAD of "two percentage signs followed by a letter", as "two percentage signs followed by an ASCII character that is not ALREADY a special character, NOT necessarily limited to range a-z and A-Z" and it should make much more sense.

Just for the record, I find out the problem I had before with the /v switch, the reg.exe version (optional) with Win2K does NOT support the switch, you need an XP or later version. :(

So, my "alterenate" syntax is valid with Win2K and the /v one with XP and later. :)

jaclaz