New nlite CD Installation ?

eddie11013

I just created a new “CD-RW†nlite installation CD. But I forgot to put a check mark on the ‘Windows Activation’ box in that first ‘components’ screen. I assume, as usual, that I will still need to activate ’windows’. Does anyone know if the following article works (I edited it to 'try' make it smaller):

Users who reformat their hard drive and perform a clean installation of the operating system will find that they need to reactivate the product. But, as long as the new installation is on the same system and there won't be any hardware changes it is possible to transfer the existing product activation and skip having to go through the product activation process again. Follow the steps below to save the activation status information and restore it once your system is rebuilt:

Go to C:\Windows\System32 folder - Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process. Reboot your computer into SafeMode

Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder -- Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"

Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files into the C:\Windows\System32 folder

Restart your system

Your Windows XP operating system is now reinstalled on your reformatted hard drive and you are all activated without having to actually go through the product activation process!

Remember though. This won't work for transferring activation information from one computer to another or if you alter the hardware because the information contained in your "wpa.dbl" file will not match the configuration of the computer. This trick is only for reinstalling Windows XP on the exact same computer after formatting the hard drive.

Original article: http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/...qtwinxp0829.htm

I don’t really want to make a new ‘CD’, but if I have to so be it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Eddie

Just an FYI:

I either did it wrong or it didn't work. Had to call 1-888 MS

Edited by eddie11013

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Windows still sees a new hardware hash because:

Even though you performed this "trick" on the same hardware, there is one item that is different, if you have freshly formatted your hard disk drive; the volume serial number. This changes with every format you perform on the drive. Windows sees this and I believe recreates a new hardware hash, which will not match up with the data that is related to your wpa backup files.

Before you formatted, you should have went to a command prompt and did a "dir" command. It will then show your the Volume Serial Number. Write that down. Then find the utilty called "VolumeID". Its a small executable that will allow you to rename your drives volume serial number after you've formatted it.

Once you have that renamed to what it was before you formatted, in its post-activated state; this little "backup the wpa file" trick may work.

• 3 years later...

...Then find the utilty called "VolumeID". Its a small executable that will allow you to rename your drives volume serial number after you've formatted it...

Has somebody allready find a way to do REAL silent VolumeID change ? without the Licence agrement POPUP ?

Is there another way to silently change a VolumeId ?

Edited by unisev