Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

galahs

Would you please elaborate a litle more on the way to install v.10 under 98SE?
The mule. It involves not installing those software components which are incompatible with Win9x. For example, the InstallShield installer of v10 does not work under Win95a, so a file-copy of the install-to of v10 created under Win98SE, together with the registry entries produced by installing v9 under Win95a, works fine under Win95a.
Can it save .docx to .doc files?
Yes and no, .docx can be copied+pasted into Wordpad, then saved there as .rtf or as .doc with .rtf features. Some formatting (but not the content) is lost in the copying and paste process, such as the indents and numbering of paragraphs. I have attached the .rtf file with results from saving the copied+pasted MS Word 2007 High Level Test .docx testfile mentioned in my previous posting. Maybe the attached file can help in deciding whether it's worth while getting v10 of Dec2007 to work under Win9x.

When the .docx testfile is printed under Win98SE with "Quick Print" (a feature of Quick View Plus 10), the numbering and indentation of the (hardcopy) printed paragraphs is Ok, no formatting seems to be lost. When you choose in Quick Print "Acrobat Distiller" (of Acrobat 5) as printer, a .pdf file is created from the .docx with correct numbering and indentation of the paragraphs, attached as "High_Level_Test.pdf"

PS: Somehow the filename of the uploaded file "High level test file.rtf" was changed by the upload-process into "High_level_test_file.rtx", but the file is ok, it is identical to my original upload.

Edited by Multibooter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Please, on first reply to this topic some users repport can install fileformatconverters.exe on windows 98.

Have someone this old file? I only find to download the new version and can't open docx document on windows 98.

Please, what version of office you use to install this (xp ou 2000) and what service pack of office?

Need an aditional update for windows? Or just Windows 98 SE original?

Please help me.

• 7 years later...

It is too late, perhaps...

The service packs and much other software mentioned in Dencorso's
post of january 3, 2010 are no longer available from Microsoft (404 error
when following the links).
Would someone in this thread please supply copies of them or would
this infringe Microsoft's license ?
Thanks for the attention

A digression- Has anybody else noticed that MSFN's site is almost
useless under Firefox 2.0.20 (which is the last version that can be
used under Windows 98 without resorting to KernelEx) ?

10 hours ago, jassenna said:

A digression- Has anybody else noticed that MSFN's site is almost
useless under Firefox 2.0.20 (which is the last version that can be
used under Windows 98 without resorting to KernelEx) ?

Unfortunately, yes, and discussed this i.e. here (no hope left... ;-) ):

10 hours ago, jassenna said:

Try via Wayback Machine:

https://archive.org/

Ideally, you could test each and every file, making a new post with the links working and another one with those not working. (so that someone can assist you with finding the missing ones).

A lot of files won't be retrievable because of the "interstitial" pages but you can find often the filenames and then look for them,

An issue may be with "localized" versions, most available files are only en-us or another specific language, it is rare to find "all" of them on the same mirror site, example:

ftp://ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/tools/microsoft/ServicePacks/Office8/us/

jaclaz

11 hours ago, jassenna said:

Regarding Office XP/2002 updates there is a nice post on Superuser: https://superuser.com/questions/1185038/how-do-i-download-kb-updates-for-office-xp-under-windows-10-that-are-no-longer-o/1185039

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats (version 12.0.6500.0) is still available in all language versions.