Xp Security Rollup Available!

@murder

I also thought of that method but how are you supposed to inform xp setup about the other files that didn't exist before?

if there is abc.dl_ version 2600 in the cd and you have new 2800 version you could swap them by the makecab but as I said before If say you have a hotfix which copies new files what are u supposed to do?

forgot to mention I also have a web space pretty fast and don't have bandwidth limit contact me if you need to put anything related with MSFN!

Edited by XtremeMaC

@XtremeMaC:

Good point. In fact, 27 Mbs have been extracted from the 9 Mb rollup, and replace their compressed counterparts. Further more, you cannot compress any of them, as update.exe, or at least the update.inf file, references them in their uncompressed name format. The update program, or the full hotfix itself, must be run to update the registry and such.

I would think no one (here) would mind if you mirrored the Windows Media Player / Movie Maker 2 and DirectX OPK files listed HERE - I cannot get them - especially in a self extracting form for those of us that do not wish to install all the compressors... The files are about 10 and 20 Mbs.

ok i am not using that space as of now because it has change its agreement so go to here

Username:Removed

Password:Removed

Click the check box

and on the top row click download file.

let me know when you have them so i can delete that account

I have now removed the username and passowrd if you still need them PM me.

account is still active.

Edited by DaveXP

ive gone back to my old method.. install kb824146 through svcpack to protect from worms on install and do the rest including the rollup in a batch in cmdlines.txt and saved 16mb's plus however much room the hotfixes the rollup replaced took up ..if you use a dialup internet theres no need to use svcpack.. do it all in a batch and save time and space ..you can save even more time running your batch from guirunonce.. in fact im probably gonna move my hotfix batch back to guirunonce for the extra speed ..svcpacks only useful for exploitable loopholes that are vulnerable while xp's setting up.. like microsofts rpc cockup (kb824146) ..and if you use a dialup its of no use at all ..itll slow your install and take up a whole heap of space for no reason

create two folders in %OEM%\%1\Install like this

Hotfixes1
„        WindowsXP-KB823182-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB824141-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB825119-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB826939-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB828035-x86-ENU.exe
Hotfixes2
„        js56nen.exe
„        Q330994.exe
„        Q828750.exe

copy qchain.exe and Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe into %OEM%\%1\Install

and use these four lines of code to install the lot from cmdlines.txt but id recommend guirunonce

for %%i in (%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes1\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /u /z /o /q
for %%i in (%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes2\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /Q:A /R:N
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe /C:"dahotfix /q /n" /Q
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\qchain.exe

if you run a broadband connection install kb824146 using svcpack

:)

Thanks, X. I thought that there was the combined WMP9/MM2 setup, not the two individual ones. I found the file once on MSs website, but have lost all trace of it. I have a copy, if I could get it to you. I know others have been interested in it. It is 20Mb.

For those that do not know, the DX9NTopk program allows you to install DirectX without any switches or program patches.

I install MM2 during setup, under my control, to avoid it from being installed later, via Windows update for example.

(On the other hand, this board does not like MSFN in lower case, as in your links...)

For those that do not know, the DX9NTopk program allows you to install DirectX without any switches or program patches.

So all I need to run is DX9NTopk.exe (no /opk switch) correct? Can I delete the license folder and such as well?

well there is a wmp9/mm2 cd order :rolleyes: couldn't find anything about a combined one

fixed MSFN (all uppercase :) )

I was trying svpack.inf type of install.

I put all the *.cat containing updates to the .inf file but some seem to have a kb and a q .cat (q111111.cat kb11111.cat) which one am I supposed to put?

I put all of them and my setup restarts at 33min mark couldn't get throught that....

@Geckotek: That's correct, just that one file, and call it without switches.

@XtremeMac: That's just it: there is no info about the WMP9/MM2, but I know that I found it on Microsoft's site (or I was REALLY spaced out). I have it - do you have anyway I could post it to you?

About SVCPACK.INF: I think that there is only one hotfix with 2 .cat files. Put both in the appropriate section (both SVCPACK.INF, and the SVCPACK directory) The restart might be another problem entirely, perhaps you have a non-slipstream-friendly hotfix. I think the 33 mark is where it deals with the cat files ...

@XtremeMac: That's just it: there is no info about the WMP9/MM2, but I know that I found it on Microsoft's site (or I was REALLY spaced out). I have it - do you have anyway I could post it to you?

Information on WMP9 opk and MM2 opk from the Microsoft OEM builders web site.

and yes there is a combanine version of them.

Adding Windows Movie Maker 2.0 to a Preinstallation of Windows XP

In the Windows XP preinstallation kit, there is an additional package that may be used to install Windows Movie Maker 2.0. To install only Windows Movie Maker 2.0, use the Setup.exe package found in the MM2 folder under the various language folders.

Use the following command line options when running setup.exe to invoke an unattended mode setup. "Setup.exe /Q:A /R:N" (without the quotation marks)

Adding Windows Media Player 9 Series and Windows Movie Maker 2.0 to a Preinstallation of Windows XP

In the Windows XP Windows Media Player 9 Series and Movie Maker 2.0 preinstallation kit, there are additional packages that may be used to install both Windows Media Player 9 Series and Windows Movie Maker 2.0 in one install.

WMP9_MM2.exe found under the WMP9_MM2 folder on the CD installs both Windows Media Player 9 Series and Windows Movie Maker 2.0. It defaults to a silent installation with no user interface. It requires no additional command-line parameters when invoked.

Customizing Windows Media Player

You can do the following to modify the Windows Media Player installation:

+ Provide one or more custom visual styles, or "skins."

+ Configure Windows Media Player to use your custom skin as the default.

+ Set Windows Media Player as the default for automatically playing DVDs (DVD AutoPlay).

+ Enable MP3 encoding in Windows Media Player.

+ Remove visible entry points to Windows Media Player, as specified in the "Removing Access to Windows Components" topic of the Windows OPK.

Designing Custom Skins for Windows Media Player

A skin is a customized user interface that overlays Windows Media Player when the player is in skin mode. To see Windows Media Player in skin mode, start the Player and press CTRL+2. Windows Media Player is available with many skins that users can choose from, and you also can develop and distribute your own skins. For more information about creating skins, see the Windows Media Player Software Development Kit (SDK) at the MSDN® Web site (http:// msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmedia/).

For cobranding opportunities, send an e-mail message to wmpoem@microsoft.com.

To make custom skins available in Windows Media Player

Create a skin as described in the Windows Media Player Software Development Kit. Copy the skins to the %systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins folder, where %systemdrive% is the drive that contains the Windows installation files.

To set the default skin for Windows Media Player:

Create a skin, as described in the Windows Media Player Software Development Kit. Copy the skin to the %systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins folder, where %systemdrive% is the drive that contains the Windows installation files. On the destination computer, use Registry Editor or another registry editing tool to open the registry.

Caution: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer.

Set the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\OEMSkin to the file name of your skin (for example, Oem.wmz).

Setting Windows Media Player as the Default DVD Player

If another program is already installed and set as the default playback program for DVDs, you can edit the registry to specify Windows Media Player as the default player for DVDs.

To set Windows Media Player as the default DVD player:

On the destination computer, use Registry Editor or another registry editing tool to open the registry.

Caution: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer.

Set the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell\Play\Command to "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /device:DVD "%L", where %systemdrive% is the drive that contains the Windows installation files.

Enabling MP3 Encoding for Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player supports MP3 encoding. To enable the Windows Media Player to encode MP3 files, you need to license an MP3 encoder, install the encoder, and then change registry settings.

To set Windows Media Player for MP3 Encoding:

On the destination computer, use Registry Editor or another registry editing tool to open the registry.

Open the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding

Set the following values:

DWORDLowRate

Value <datarate>

DWORD LowRateSample

Value <Sample>

DWORD MediumRate

Value <datarate>

DWORD MediumRateSample

Value <Sample>

DWORD MediumHighRate

Value <datarate>

DWORD MediumHighRateSample

Value <Sample>

DWORD HighRate

Value <datarate>

DWORD HighRateSample

Value <Sample>

String PreferredCodec

Value <codec name>

For example, to set the LowRate to 56 kilobits per second (Kbps), set the following keys:

HKLM,"%KEY_WMP%\Settings\MP3Encoding","LowRate",0x00010001,56000

HKLM,"%KEY_WMP%\Settings\MP3Encoding","LowRateSample",0x00010001,24000

HKLM,"%KEY_WMP%\Settings\MP3Encoding","PreferredCodecName",,"A MPEG Layer-3 Codec"

HKLM,"%KEY_WMP%\Settings\MP3Encoding","PreferredCodecPath",,"D:\WINDOWS\system32\aMP3codecfile.acm"

Note:

Where ,"%KEY_WMP% = Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer

The value for PreferredCodec is limited to 255 characters.

Removing Windows Media Player Shortcuts

On Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) and Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later, you can remove visible entry points to Windows Media Player. For examples of this, see the "Removing Access to Windows Components" topic of the Windows XP SP1a OPK.

I'm thinking about putting my svcpack.inf here but I'm frightened to get so many laughs at it; it doesn't look good

if you could spot any correct stuff please tell me :rolleyes:

i still couldn't figure out which way is the fastest which way is the easiest install for hotfixes and programs!

is there anyone that has done both the svcpack and the *.cmd's and got a gooood result on either of them

the xpcreate method took hours to finish I didn't like it or made some errors through it

cmd method still adding stuff to it, I wanna put all the programs into it office 2003 msn trillian norton utilities flashget hotfixez winamp dc virtual pc etc :D

also I'm using my desktop, favorites, my documents, my music, my pictures on an other hdd. while i'm installing should I change the paths from the registry or is there any other way.

(windows path c: , my documents path d: )(logged in as the OWNER user(home version))

recommend me a way to do these fixes updates I've no problem with how much GB it takes..pls! I'm afraid I won't be able to make a good CD until sp2 comes out

Sorry for this many topics in one post. didn't feel like creating sepeate ones

:) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE MY .INF FILE you won't get very far except to create an iso file

(I got an error like this on the forum

"You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message" what is the max? )

@XtremeMaC:

Your SVCPACK.INF: Why do I see media player .cat files? you should not be extracting these type of setup files unless you know what you are doing, and even then ... Also, you surely do not need the dummy.cat

I would say that the fastest way to install the hotfixes is from the GuiRunOnce section of setup. The slowest is probably the from the book Microsoft method I use in the XPCREATE scripts.

I (obviously) use the SVCPACK method, as in XPCREATE, and consider the end result as good as I can get. And yes, it is slow.

If you want your user data on another disk, define it in WINNT.SIF, in the PROFILESDIR setting. Be sure the disk is formated and active during setup (D:\ may be the CD drive ...)

I don't know much about all those other programs. You may want to avoid a headache, and try a slightly less sophisticated CD if you are new to it ...

@DaveXP:

Thanks for convincing me I still have a few brain cells left. That is the article I saw. If you google "WMP9_MM2.EXE" the only thing you find is my post. Do you still have the link?