How to change Disk order?

sumasage

I am trying to make it so that the Maxtor will be detect as Disk 0, anyone know how to change it? i tried moving the cable around but it doesnt work. I am trying to do this because i am getting some error when reformatting Win Vista. Thanks.

Hdd.jpg

I am trying to make it so that the Maxtor will be detect as Disk 0, anyone know how to change it? i tried moving the cable around but it doesnt work. I am trying to do this because i am getting some error when reformatting Win Vista. Thanks.

look though the BIOS for a setting for Harddrive(HDD) or Boot Order, and within that setting you can set the order which drives are recognized by the system. On older boards often IDE(PATA) is seen before SATA and this aspect cannot be changed.

shark

I will check when i get home. My motherboard is a DFI LANParty UT nForce 4 SLI-DR, i think it is about one year old. Is it consider "old" by your definition?

Sounds current to me. - I have not researched the board though.

Also if you are unfamiliar with the BIOS settings, please be careful.

Making ajustments to things you do not understand can render your computer unbootable.

shark

You cant, thats the way it is.

Boot order wont do nothing cause it only controls ide devices.

Huh? what are you talking about?

In my computer i have 4 hdd's .. each with a different operating system installed.

Through the BIOS i can choose which device (2xSATA and 2xPATA) is my boot up device and the system will see that device as the 'C' drive.

Depending which device i set as the boot device, is what the system see's as 'C' drive.

shark

On my disk page, my ide is c: but it is DISK1 and my sata is disk0, but this should be reversed, and theres no way to change it unless I put my os on my sata and boot from it, which I dont wanna do.

vistartm023pu9.gif

Edited by kartel

Unfortunately swap function available for floppy drives is not available for hdd.

Try "BootIT NG" from Terabyteunlimited. as your boot manager.

It will allow you to swap primary & secondary drives in memory. Just what you are trying to do. It works flawlessly.

I don't believe there's a way to specifically change the order the disk drive are in per se. The drive order is determined first by order of controller then by order of channel.

Say one drive is on channel 2 of the IDE controller and one drive is on channel 1 of the SATA controller, if the IDE is detected first, the IDE hard drive will come first even if it's on the 2nd channel.

Changing the boot order in the bios will not change this, it will simply change, as it's named, the order in which the drive will boot, not their position.

Edited by jcarle