A command to get WSUS to 'see' a new computer

sys6x

Hi,

Is there a command that I could type on a new client computer in order to get WSUS to list the computer in its database, manually? Because it looks like it's doing this only when the scheduled WSUS sync task is running...

Also, I wonder if all my computer have the same SID...does this cause any problem with WSUS?

Thanks

if its a single pc then you need to go into the registry and point it to your WSUS server.

i cant remember where the key is though :S but when i had trouble with wsus adding this key and rebooting did the trick :)

If you're in a domain it's best to use a GPO for this. :)

Otherwise...yeah, you have to manually edit the registry on the client to tell it to point to the WSUS server for updates.

Also, I wonder if all my computer have the same SID...does this cause any problem with WSUS?

Yes, it very well could cause issues with WSUS...plus A LOT more. I'm going to assume you imaged all of the machines without using SysPrep?

Yeah, you're assuming right..no idea what is sysprep for..

I think I found out, either it's removing the setup that says "put this computer in this group" in gpedit.msc or it's changing the SID that did effect... I will see when trying to deploy another computer

You really need to look into sysprep. Having every machine with the same SID can cause some serious headaches. :)

The downside is that you'll have to drop them from the domain to run sysprep and then rejoin them after running sysprep. Before rejoining the computer account in the domain will need to be reset.

The latest version of sysprep is included in the XP SP2 Deployment Tools.

Well it isn't deployed yet, I'm still at the stage to work on the images! So it should be something like running sysprep on the actual image computer and then I can image it

I'll check out that sysprep thing, thanks