:Request: Software That Monitors Server Services

ringfinger

Hey there folks - I'm in need of some preferably free software which will monitor my server's running services and alert me via email when an "Automatic" service stops. I've tried The Dude and GFI Network Server Monitor and neither seem to do what I'd like. I've searched the forum and Google and have come up with a whole bunch of nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful! FYI - Server 2000/2003 environment.

Thanks! :thumbup

Have you played with the recovery tab for these? You could call a cmd script to Blat you an email and restart the service.

(Although some service failures will stop outgoing email from working...)

People have recommended Servers Alive (not free) but I've not tried it.

We are using IpCheck Server monitor for that. There is also a free "limited" version available.

http://www.paessler.com/ipcheck/download

Freeware Edition

Free for personal and commercial use (Limitation: 5 sensors and minimum monitoring interval of 15 minutes)

Thanks for the link to that app, looked promising at the beginning however it only monitors what appear to be built in Windows services only. It won't query the proprietary services I really need it for. Unless there's some custom settings I can do??

Some proprietary services which run on 3 of our Point of Sale Servers.

Is there anyway you can connect to these services using normal protocols to be able to verify that it's alive? Telnet? HTTP? Direct TCP/IP?

Some proprietary services which run on 3 of our Point of Sale Servers.

Is there anyway you can connect to these services using normal protocols to be able to verify that it's alive? Telnet? HTTP? Direct TCP/IP?

If there is I'm not sure how to... theres gotta be some simple app out there that will take care of this task!

For the services that are crashing, in properties click the recovery tab, then change each failure response to "restart the service"

Then once a day/week/month, check the event viewer system log for errors from Service Control Manager, and complain to your supplier until they fix it

For the services that are crashing, in properties click the recovery tab, then change each failure response to "restart the service"

Then once a day/week/month, check the event viewer system log for errors from Service Control Manager, and complain to your supplier until they fix it

Good idea on the recovery... and complaining won't help ;)