Rosetta@home needs our help!

tvalenti

The task length is set in your preferences for R@H. A task can run for as short as 1 hour, or as long as 24 hours. I've currently got my top computers running for 12 hour tasks, and the less powerful ones are set to 6 hours.

EDIT - If anyone with decent Photoshop skills would like to contribute, here's a thread for a signature bar for the MSFN R@H Team.

I was looking at the BOINCstats for our team and realized something incredible...

We passed the 1,000,000 overall credit mark!!!

This includes the previous SETI@Home team's score. For Rosetta@Home, we've got about 825,000 credit at the moment. We're slowly but surely working our way up in the ranks. :D

ehhh 1 average credit away from beating gamehead200. c'mon my dear brand new Q6600 G0 you can do it!!

anyway I just wanted to ask, is there some sort of portable version of BOINC? i know there probably isn't since it writes and reads a lot from a hdd but it would be good since i'm often in the computer rooms at my school... *ahem* doing homework...

or would you not recommend it anyway even if there was one, since my usb stick would probably only live out half it's life?

ehhh 1 average credit away from beating gamehead200. c'mon my dear brand new Q6600 G0 you can do it!!

anyway I just wanted to ask, is there some sort of portable version of BOINC? i know there probably isn't since it writes and reads a lot from a hdd but it would be good since i'm often in the computer rooms at my school... *ahem* doing homework...

or would you not recommend it anyway even if there was one, since my usb stick would probably only live out half it's life?

I don't mind you beating me... The computers that gained all of my credit were ones at my summer job. I had to uninstall BOINC before I left. :P

• 3 months later...

ok im sorry if i cant sem to get this right but,how can someone help with this project and install their software and dont lose any system or network performance? cause i like to help and my home sytem is up and running 24/7...

So who is using the Rossetta data? University labs? Big pharma?

It's a research lab at the University of Washington.

ok im sorry if i cant sem to get this right but,how can someone help with this project and install their software and dont lose any system or network performance? cause i like to help and my home sytem is up and running 24/7...
Network performance loss is negligible. When I run iperf benchmarks on my home network, I'll drop from 990Mbps to about 980Mbps when running R@H on both client and server machines (the two sides of the iperf benchmark).

System performance also shouldn't be an issue. The Rosetta@Home clients always run at Low priority (nice=19 on linux systems). I haven't run any specific benchmarks, but I doubt that you'd notice any slowdowns from running the software. The only catch is that you'd need to dedicate about 150-200MB of RAM per CPU core that you allow to run R@H.

Got a couple of "oldies" I intend to run w98 on. Will check sysrqmts to see if R@H will run on them. Would tie them into main PC using ICS; don't know if there's a bandwidth issue with ISP using such a setup. (Don't stay up more than 12 hrs/day...)

Made this post to mark it for future reference (and so I won't forget...). B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I use to use this, but i reinstalled my pc and never installed it back on again. idk, isnt there a way where i can turn it on while I am sleeping and while i am at school?

You can set BOINC to only run when the computer is idle for a certain amount of time. Just wondering though... why wouldn't you let it run all the time? There are projects that don't require a lot of resources, and the work units always run at low priority, so they don't affect your overall computing. :)

As a side note to all those still running Rosetta - have their new versions been less buggy than before? I was having several processes of Rosetta sit there doing no work until I manually killed them... I've moved over to Einstein@Home now, partially because I like the research a bit more, and their software has been much more stable than Rosetta.