Rosetta@home needs our help!

tvalenti

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Hello. Come on guys, join up. Zxian's credit is dropping and we need people to start picking up the slack. It won't affect your computer's performance.

fillalph

Mine's fallen too. :( I had to remove BOINC from all of my work computers since I've finished up for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna bump this up again, by saying that I've added my Q6600 system to the mix. I can crunch out a four 100 credit work units in 6 hours, so that makes about 1600 credit per day. You can see my recent progress here. I only got eclipse (my new machine) running on Friday night really, so that's how long it's been running for. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

i added my Q6600 to the msfn.org team and my primary pc+BOINC is on for about 6hrs a day on a weekday and more on weekends

i'm thinking of adding my old Celeron 800mhz pc thats running as a file and printer server on my mini home network (running on ubuntu). do you think it would be worth running r@h on it or would it be a waste of time since it's too... what's the word... rubbish? and it's also juggling file and printer sharing.

and 1600 credits/day!!!! whoa zxian!! but then again if i left my Q6600 on all day i might be able to get that... but i have to appease my parents *shrugs*

Edited by clidx

File and printer sharing isn't that heavy work, so most of the time, it'd be crunching numbers. If it's already running, set R@H to run on that sucker. Every little bit helps. :yes:

You'd have to appease your parents because... of the electrical bill? I really think they should only be concerned about that if they're the type to turn off everything and all the lights (my parents are). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving electricity where I can, but at the current cost of electricity and considering how much I spend on other things, the additional electricity is really a minimal hit on my budget.

I'm just hoping they fix one of the problems in their bloody work units... it keeps crapping out on me, and then giving me a dinky 20 credits regardless of how much work the system has actually done (claims 200, gets 20 - that kinda thing).

no i have to appease my parents because they really don't like my pc on, much less on all day.

i'll set up R@H on it later. i wonder how well it'll perform...

EDIT the coppermine performs like crap, the c2q can get through 17 tasks in the time the coppermine takes for 1. running on ubuntu feisty. i shouldn't have expected too much from such a low end, old cpu.

Edited by clidx

@clidx - Keep that beast running! You have the potential to jump to the #2 spot with that one system alone! My RAC is at 1330 right now, and it's on the rise. I'm hoping that I'll hit 1500 before it levels out.

I've got another E2160 system that's going to start crunching soon (hopefully tomorrow). That'll be another 500 RAC machine at least (my current E2160 cruncher hit 520 before the project's SAN failure). :yes:

@Idontwantspam - Why not use your main computer? You think I built this system just for crunching Rosetta work units? :P

I've got my file server, my home workstation, and my university workstation (the new E2160 machine) all crunching for me. My ex's home computer is also running R@H, but I don't think she knows... oh well. :lol:

I suppose I could sticky this... I was also going to ask if anyone wanted to try to make an official MSFN Rosetta@Home team banner - you know, one of those 300x20 signature bars. Any takers?

'Cause I don't have a main box. :rolleyes: I've got a lappy, and I don't leave it on while I'm at school. Usually. As for school... I don't see that going over well with the sysadmins, and I certainly don't have the power to do anything like that myself. As for the user bars... they sound like a good idea, but I won't be able to have one. :( Sorry...

Yea... laptops suck for crunching R@H... I stopped running mine, since it was only on for a few hours each day. :(

As for school.... you could talk to the sysadmins about this. Depending on how strict they are, they might allow it, as long as you tell them that it's for a non-profit group, and doesn't affect overall system performance.

like i said, i have to keep my pc off as much as possible, at least at night. now i just say i'm doing homework when in reality rosetta is crunching away and i'm doing something else.

nice to see this got a sticky :)

and the coppermine's cpu died... i've had 2 cpus dying on me in a 30 day period (my old P4 anyone...). i bought a new celeron 468 (still 800mhz, it was really cheap though) but ubuntu won't boot... and the only task rosetta got close to completing on it has to go :( since i reformatted my hdd :(

i'm not gonna run rosetta on it since it takes about a day for it do complete it. 1 task. 1 day...