Rosetta@home needs our help!

tvalenti

Hey Guys!

I just joined Rosetta@Home: description below

Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's - Rosetta@home

Join the MSFN Team

Check out the site at http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ anyone interested in helping me out on this?? respond below with comments!

Edited by Martin L

I got it up and running on my mostly unused desktop. Had a little trouble with the version of BOINC software in the Ubuntu repositories (it wouldn't abide by the CPU time limits I set. I installed the new version from their site and it's working well.

The Rosetta research is definitely commendable, unlike the SETI project which is an exercise in futility IMO!

Hopefully there'll be more responses..

I just emailed Admin, so hopefully they can help us out and this can be an addition to the site! if i see more interest i will create a group for our members to join. If you find anyone else is interested have them post to this topic. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We had a team like this for something in the past. Might have been SETI; don't remember. There doesn't seem to be much support among our members for this one right now :}

We had a team like this for something in the past. Might have been SETI; don't remember. There doesn't seem to be much support among our members for this one right now :}

We had a SETI team, and it died down. We had an uptime team, and that died down. We had several IRC channels, and they all died down. We also had personalized conference software, but that died down too.

I have a feeling this trend might continue...

thats more like it, ill be joining this team... Who else is with me... CUMMMON :) Lets get this team rolling... can we have something mabye on the site now that we have a team? you never know the response if ya dont try :)

Just as a suggestion - when people sign up for their Rosetta@Home accounts, use your screenname from the forums. That way we can easily see who's who. If you decide to leave the group later, you can easily change your username back to whatever you please. :)

As a follow up... check this out. That's one system that I've got here at work... one of twenty like it. Once I've done my job of setting the systems up as they're needed, I'm going to get BOINC on each one of those systems and fire them up.

schroedinger (the main 8 core beast) just finished 440 credits worth of work in a matter of hours. For comparison, deathstar, my personal Athlon XP 2000+ system has done a total of 977 credits at the time of this posting, ever since I created this team last week.

With 20 of those crazy systems, there'll be nothing to stop us! :ph34r:

Ive been watching your progress.. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Think we could get something on the main page about this... seems like we need to get the word out alittle more then just in one thread if we really want to start a team..

I'm in the process of installing our real software on the other 19 nodes. Once that's done, I'll get BOINC on those. I have a feeling that these machines aren't going to be otherwise used to their full potential. ;)

Too bad it uses BOINC soft, otherwise I would join with 1 or 2 machines.

I was with SETI@Home since the day one until they discontinued the old (called "classic" now LOL) and forced everyone to use BOINC.

(Oh, and I have nothing against BOINC, its just its not for my home network nor could I use it on work place machines unfortunately)

Edited by no1none

@no1none - Why do you say BOINC isn't for your home network? It's actually much easier to maintain, since all you need is the boinc executable and the .XML file for the project you're working on. I just added the other 19 machines in our cluster last night, and did it by copying 3 files over - the boinc executable, the boinc service script, and my rosetta XML file. After that, it was a matter of telling each machine to start the BOINC daemon.

As for your work machines, if you're worried about system administration, you can just tell them that it's for non-profit research groups, and doesn't affect overall system performance nor does it affect network security.

Especially for a few computers. The effort is well worth the end result in my eyes but...

@Zxian: how long are your units set to run for - i was thinking with your amount of machines we could really start finding decoys if ya set your run time alittle longer :) Mine currently varies between 6-8hrs each.

• 2 months later...