Win98-2-ME StandAlone v1.0

download:

http://soporific.files-upload.com/182643/W...ne_1.0.zip.html

readme.txt:

* Win98-2-ME_StandAlone v1.0 *

* by Soporific *

* April 2007 *

Hi there,

This will install the Win98 to ME module from the Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se. This is one of the best updates of all time for Windows 98se. HIGHLY recommended.

Credit for most of this goes to MDGx (www.mdgx.com) who provided the original method and the files for installing this. If you haven't yet visited his site, do it NOW! You don't know what you're missing out on!

* Please note the following: *

1) this is ONLY designed to serve as an alternative to the install method contained in Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se which doesn't seem to work for some people. If you aren't one of these people and want to install 98SE2ME, please visit -> http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm <- for the original project by MDGx.

2) this will only work on a Windows 98se system. That's second edition, not the first one.

3) it will NOT interfere with other installations using the wininit.ini method of installing system files, so it should be safe to use in conjunction with other updates at the same time.

4) if you need to undo the installation, just choose to run either the undo_last file, or the restore_original one. They both should be self-explanatory by their filenames.

5) you can re-install this update if you need to, and this also means that no harm will come if you install it more than once. There is no limit to the number of times you can re-install.

6) the 3 files that are updated are EXPLORER.EXE, USER.EXE, and USER32.DLL.

7) there is absolutely NO WARRANTY when using this update, you do so at your own risk. I have successfully been using it for over a year.

* Instructions on use: *

1) If you are unsure if the update is already installed, run the Win98-2-ME_Checker.exe file that is included in this pack and that will tell all. It extracts to a temporary directory, runs the report, and then deletes itself afterwards. Nothing else is touched on your computer. The report will show you the file versions of the three files and will present a recommendation. It should be obvious what the result is, so you can just ignore the recommendation if you wish.

2) To install the update just double-click the Win98-2-ME_StandAlone.exe file. It will setup the installation to be performed when you next reboot the computer. The program doesn't prompt you to reboot, nor does it reboot for you, but it does remind you with a brief message though. Manually reboot the computer and the update will be installed. Please note: this is a silent, switchless installer, once you start the file that's it, it will run until it's finished. If you accidentally run the file and you don't want to install the update, all you have to do is delete the WININIT.INI file that is created in the Windows directory. Do this BEFORE you reboot your computer otherwise it's too late.

3) Enjoy your new turbo-charged computer! Things that should be faster: anything that involves Input/Output (I/O) operations, mainly to do with files and directories on your hard drive, and, because these files are upgrades and improvements upon previous versions, and not really structurally different in any major way, you can expect all OS requests to simply be faster across the board.

4) To automatically un-install this update, run the Win98-2-ME_Restore_Original.exe file.

5) To manually uninstall this update: reboot the computer and press F8 immediately after the computer has finished processing BIOS to bring up the Boot Menu ... choose either 'Command prompt only' or 'Safe mode command prompt only', and then rename the following:

C:\Windows\EXPLORER.EXE to C:\Windows\EXPLORER.ME_

C:\Windows\EXPLORER.O_1 to C:\Windows\EXPLORER.EXE

C:\Windows\System\USER.EXE to C:\Windows\System\USER.ME_

C:\Windows\System\USER.O_1 to C:\Windows\System\USER.EXE

C:\Windows\System\USER32.DLL to C:\Windows\System\USER32.ME_

C:\Windows\System\USER32.O_1 to C:\Windows\System\USER32.DLL

where C: is the name of the system drive, and \Windows is the directory that the operating system is installed in.

If you don't know DOS commands, the first rename is performed by typing:

REN "C:\Windows\EXPLORER.EXE" "EXPLORER.ME_"

and the last by typing:

REN "C:\Windows\System\USER32.O_1" "USER32.DLL"

Edited by soporific

I have posted in another topic about 98-to-ME stand alone 1.0:

EXPLORER.EXE is actually newer 98 SE explorer 4.72.3612.1700 from IE 5.01 install CAB = with Dr. Hoiby's 256 colors fix + modded by Gape with 98SE banner.

To install EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100 from WinME setup CD-ROM [similar to 98SE2ME option 3], you need *all* other files installed by option 3 *and* the registry entries listed under the [WW] section in the O3RES.INF file from 98SE2ME.EXE *and* the fixed IMGVIEW.HTT from 98SE2ME.EXE.

Complete details in READ1ST.TXT [see "* Option 3:" section under "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Lines you need from O3RES.INF:

[3M]

AddReg=WW

[WW]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE",,,"%10%\HELP\WINDOWS.CHM"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,0,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,1,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHDOC401.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,2,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,3,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\WEBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,5,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\MYDOCS.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,0,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,1,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,2,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,3,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\WEBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,5,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,6,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,7,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\MYDOCS.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,8,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\THUMBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,9,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\DOCPROP2.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,A,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\NETPLWIZ.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\R,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\RPCRT4.DLL"

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
I have posted in another topic about 98-to-ME stand alone 1.0:

HTH

Thanks for all that, i am slowly getting there - i have now written an INF file to install this and give an easier uninstall option - the only thing is it doesn't protect the user against accidently installing the update twice, and completely stuffing things up. What have i left out of this INF file to stop this happening? Any help much appreciated!

[Version]

Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]

RenFiles=RN,RW

AddReg=RU

CopyFiles=SC,IC,WC

SmartReboot=I

[RS]

DelFiles=SC,IC,WC

RenFiles=BN,BW

DelReg=RU

[DestinationDirs]

SC=11

IC=17

RN=11

BN=11

WC=25

RW=25

[RN]

USER.XXX, USER.EXE

USER32.XXX, USER32.DLL

[RW]

EXPLORER.XXX, EXPLORER.EXE

[bN]

USER.EXE, USER.XXX

USER32.DLL, USER32.XXX

[bW]

EXPLORER.EXE, EXPLORER.XXX

[sC]

USER.EXE

USER32.DLL

[WC]

EXPLORER.EXE

[iC]

Core98ME.INF

[RU]

;Add entry to the Add-Remove Programs control panel to uninstall the program:

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unicows,DisplayName,,"The Core of Win98-2-ME"

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unicows,"UninstallString",,"RunDll setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection RS 4 Core98ME.INF"

[sourceDisksNames]

1=,,0

[sourceDisksFiles]

USER.EXE=1,,557536

user32.dll=1,,55808

Core98ME.INF=1,,1927

EXPLORER.EXE=1,,171280