Advanced Screenshots

char1125

Hello, I've been a Mac user for three years, and I need to know how to use Windows again. (Don't worry, I'm not a troll. :hello: )

I know that you can take a screenshot by pressing the PrntScrn button, but it only copies it to the clipboard. How can I make it a file and not just have it copied to the clipboard?

Also, can I only take a screenshot of a selected area of the screen, i.e. not the entire screen? Can I make that a file itself, too?

I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times, and thank you for your patience.

I used to have a neat little "Screen Print" program that would either print your screen or save it to a file.

Somewhere between 98 and XP, I lost it.

SO, now I just copy the screen to the clipboard, as you already stated you know how to do, and then paste it from the clipboard into any program, like WordPerfect, Word or even MS Paint or Wordpad. Then just save it as the file name you choose. NO big deal.

Andromeda43 B)

if you want the active window only, press Ctrl+Alt+Print Scrn :) ... you can use your favorite picture editing app as the recepient app where you paste it and name & save the file as any pic extension supported by your app ...

CTRL+ALT+Print Scrn is not necessary.. Actually, just ALT+Print Scrn is all you need.

Kent

Ha this is a basic screenshot compared to my problem. I use Windows XP with an Apple Advanced USB Keyboard. Its the same keyboard they used on the G4, so if you haven't seen one the Print Screen, Scroll Lock and Pause keys are replaced by F13-15. The problem is that Windows sees these keys as F13-F15 and not the IBM keys. I could not remap the functions of these keys, and changing the registry did nothing. I have to use Fraps or SnagIt to take screenshots!

Ha this is a basic screenshot compared to my problem. I use Windows XP with an Apple Advanced USB Keyboard. Its the same keyboard they used on the G4, so if you haven't seen one the Print Screen, Scroll Lock and Pause keys are replaced by F13-15. The problem is that Windows sees these keys as F13-F15 and not the IBM keys. I could not remap the functions of these keys, and changing the registry did nothing. I have to use Fraps or SnagIt to take screenshots!

Wouldn't it just be simpler to buy a keyboard conceived for the PC?

PS2 keyboards are for losers.

How so?

Ever heard of USB keyboards?