Windows Media Center - Vista

vaughaag

Hi guys, I have a MSI M670 lapop with Vista Home Premium installed, everything works apart from Windows Media Center. It loads and the start-up sound plays, but they all I get is a black screen, task manager shows its running and at no point does it crash.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know how I han resolve the issue?

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a MSI M670 lapop with Vista Home Premium installed, everything works apart from Windows Media Center. It loads and the start-up sound plays, but they all I get is a black screen, task manager shows its running and at no point does it crash.

Thanks

Do you have the required codecs installed? ... Vista Codec Package

shark

Thanks

Don't install any non-Microsoft codecs! You have another problem, and adding third-party codec packs isn't a good idea in the first place, and is a bad idea for this particular problem.

I'd suggest removing anything that may impact MCE to see if you've installed something that is causing the problem. Removing any codecs would be a good start.

What happens in safe mode?

vaughaag,

Try updating your video drivers to the latest ones on nVidia's website. Some earlier releases of the driver resulted in a blank screen being displayed when trying to use media center. In addition, you can try holding the ALt Key and tapping the Enter key after Media Center launches. This toggles Media Center between operating in full screen mode (the default), and Windowed mode on your desktop. If you are experiencing any problems associated with refresh rates, screen resolutions, or selected video output, thi s should let us know.

Don't install any non-Microsoft codecs!

How do you watch an XviD encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an DivX encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an mkv file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an h264 encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an MP4 file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you listen to a file with AAC audio encoding? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you listen to a file with FLAC audio encoding? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

This list can go on till my keyboard wears out....

EDIT: after rereading the initial posters query, I see that he/she isnt even trying to play a file, just open MediaCenter. That is definately an odd issue and not related to codecs. But to say not to install anything but Microsoft codecs is to crawl in a hole and miss out on 98% of the currently available media.

shark

Don't install any non-Microsoft codecs!

How do you watch an XviD encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an DivX encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an mkv file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an h264 encoded file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you watch an MP4 file? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you listen to a file with AAC audio encoding? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

How do you listen to a file with FLAC audio encoding? Microsoft doesnt make a codec for this.

This list can go on till my keyboard wears out....

EDIT: after rereading the initial posters query, I see that he/she isnt even trying to play a file, just open MediaCenter. That is definately an odd issue and not related to codecs. But to say not to install anything but Microsoft codecs is to crawl in a hole and miss out on 98% of the currently available media.

shark

I'm focused on fixing the issue, not playing with codecs.

Installing codec "packs" from some random yahoo is typically seen as a bad idea. Some people may disagree about that; no worries. In any case, installing codecs won't fix his issue, so the suggestion was a good one.

Installing codec "packs" from some random yahoo is typically seen as a bad idea.

To bad this has gone off topic.

The 'random yahoo' you are refering to is me. I am the sole creator of the Vista Codec Package and with the input of MSFN users (not you of course) this package is the best that there is available for Vista users.

If you bothered to click the link above, it would just take to the HomePage of the package which just happens to exist right here on the MSFN forums.

The VCP even detects native Microsoft codecs such as MPEG2 and

doesn't install other MPEG2 codecs when these are detected.

shark

Installing codec "packs" from some random yahoo is typically seen as a bad idea.

To bad this has gone off topic.

The 'random yahoo' you are refering to is me. I am the sole creator of the Vista Codec Package and with the input of MSFN users (not you of course) this package is the best that there is available for Vista users.

If you bothered to click the link above, it would just take to the HomePage of the package which just happens to exist right here on the MSFN forums.

shark

This has nothing to do with specifics of your work. This has to do with my belief that allowing third parties to do unknown and potentially not-good things to your computer is a bad thing. If one needs codecs, I suggest that one get them from the originator of the codec.

This is essentially the same as stating that one should always get Microsoft updates from only Microsoft - to me it's common sense. Don't install stuff if you don't know exactly where it came from and unless you can ensure the source is trusted.

If you've built that with your users, more power to you and them.