Need advice

dwarfer

My PC is becoming increasingly slow, slower by the day. I've ran all sorts of checks and such on it but still no improvement. I'm thinking of re-installing windows. This isn't the first time I've had problems with Windows XP on this system. I have an old Windows 2000 disc lying around and am wondering if its a good idea to try installing 2000 to see if it works better, I've read on a few sites it basically the same as XP just not as 'fancy' looking. What do you guys think about this?

My PC is becoming increasingly slow, slower by the day. I've ran all sorts of checks and such on it but still no improvement. I'm thinking of re-installing windows. This isn't the first time I've had problems with Windows XP on this system. I have an old Windows 2000 disc lying around and am wondering if its a good idea to try installing 2000 to see if it works better, I've read on a few sites it basically the same as XP just not as 'fancy' looking. What do you guys think about this?

It is not Windows XP's fault, it is the lack of proper maintenance on your behalf. Here's what to do:

Use CCleaner to clean out the temp/cache files on your PC.

If you have Norton installed, please use this tool to remove it.

Use jv16 PowerTools 2006's Registry Cleaner on Aggressive Mode to scan, fix and remove invalid registry entries. Be sure to make a backup prior to removal.

Note: The developer of this software, Jouni Vuorio, created one of the first registry cleaners back in the late 90's which most of the dozens of other registry cleaners out there nowadays have duplicated. The 2007 release contains brand new features for the registry that will eventually be copied to other products later on down the road.

Afterwards, use the Registry Compactor feature to defragment your registry. Many people don't believe this benefits performance at all, but it does.

Note: When you remove an entry from the registry an empty space (gap) is left behind. Because of this, the registry will gain in filesize the more that is added to it, but regardless of how much you remove, the filesize will never decrease. Windows is always reading through the registry and it takes longer to perform operations the more gaps it has to skip by to reach the key it needs to. This is essentially the same concept as disk fragmentation.

Use JKDefrag v3.8 or a trial version of Diskeeper, PerfectDisk, UltimateDefrag to defragment your HDD(s). Make sure to perform a Boot-Time defrag upon next reboot well.

Spyware:

Download, install and update both Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.06R1 and Spybot S&D v1.4. Do full system scans with both and clean/fix any infections they report.

Viruses:

Download, install and update Kaspersky Anti-Virus v6.0.2.621. Do a full system scan and let it clean anything it reports. Reboot if an infection cannot be initially cleaned/deleted.

Kaspersky's trial lasts 30 days. If you wish to use this product for one year legally, use the AOL version labeled ActiveVirusShield.

Note: For ActiveVirusShield, enter your e-mail address here for a free 1-year activation code. Your e-mail will not be subjected to spam.

If you prefer freeware then use Avast! Home Edition v4.7, or AntiVir v7.00.04.13. The latter has an even higher detection rate than Kaspersky and NOD32. For more information about anti-virus products, please visit http://www.av-comparatives.org.

I have used windows 2000 , it is not better than windows xp

you have to learn how to deal with your pc.

be away of anti viruses like Macafe and Norton it sucks all the processor .

Kasper and AVG are Nice

I was wondering if 2000 would run faster than XP. This PC is the one my family use and if an application doesn't load in at least 10 seconds they'll just keep clicking on the shortcut until the PC freezes and then they'll wonder why. Also they all know very little about PC's so i'll be surprised if they even notice it's changed to 2000.

Thanks for all the info Jeremy, I've done everything specified in your post but its still running slower than I'd like.

...I basically have 512mb of ram and a Inter Pentium 4 2ghz processor.

Configured correctly, 512mb ram and 2ghz cpu is very fast for win 2000 :thumbup .

During the time I was using win 2000, most performance gain were made from:

• Pagefile defragging and compacting
    System drive defrag
    Disabling/removing unnecessary services and files

They were included in my signature until a certain N1K removed it. I don't really know alot about getting specs but I basically have 512mb of ram and a Inter Pentium 4 2ghz processor.

Respect forum rules and it won't be an issue.

I was wondering if 2000 would run faster than XP. This PC is the one my family use and if an application doesn't load in at least 10 seconds they'll just keep clicking on the shortcut until the PC freezes and then they'll wonder why. Also they all know very little about PC's so i'll be surprised if they even notice it's changed to 2000.

Thanks for all the info Jeremy, I've done everything specified in your post but its still running slower than I'd like.

Windows 2000 runs better on slower systems than Windows XP. The best way to tell is by memory usage. Windows XP, draws 100 - 120 MB of RAM on idle. Windows 2000 draws 64 - 70 MB on idle. In addition Windows 2000's system requirements are lower.

What you lose out on Windows 2000 is more graphical perks. Most programs that run on XP can run on 2000. Windows 2000 is known for its stability for, it offers less consumer stuff and is/was aimed more towards business oriented usage.