Win98 with 2G RAM

StarRiver

I have 1G RAM(512x2) before, with 1G RAM,I can run win98 perfectly..

but while I add to 2G RAM(512X4),the system can't boot success anymore.........

I also try any way to config system.ini or use xmsdisk...but I can only boot win98 success in safemode

while I try to boot Normal Mode it's always failed in display card driver...

so...the fail reason is because my display card??

my display card is Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256MB AGP..

please help me

can anyone know how to boot success in Win98 with 2G RAM and this display card?

You'll probably get 9x to boot up and run fine if you make a few adjustments so it only uses up to a gig of memory.

In system.ini you can change some stuff -

Under VCACHE add:

MaxFileCache=393216

Under 386Enhanced add:

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

DMABufferSize=64

MinSPs=16

MaxPhysPage=40000

After those changes your system should work. If it doesn't then you'll have no choice but to only use up to a gig, but those things generally work.

As for the NVidia card, I think the last 9x NVidia videocard driver was version 81.98, and that was the only version that officially supported the 6000 series of cards. My 6600GT works fine on 98SE with that 81.98 driver. This, assuming you have your motherboard agp and chipset drivers installed and working correctly. You need to do that first, before installing the NVidia driver. You also need Direct X 9.0c installed before the NVidia driver.

Under 386Enhanced add:

MaxPhysPage=40000

After those changes your system should work. If it doesn't then you'll have no choice but to only use up to a gig, but those things generally work.

With the MAxPhysPage value you are advising he will be using only 1 Gigabyte however; 2 Gigabytes would be :

MaxPhysPage=80000

I'd advise to leave the MAxPhysPage line out altogether to begin with, and try playing with the other settings.

HTH

--

Ninho

I think there is a serious issue with 98SE and RAM above 1GB albeit some people have claimed on here to be using 2GB on that OS, many say they can't without limiting the RAM to 1 GB.

I run WinME with 1.75 GB of RAM without probs. And I have the latest nVidia display drivers installed (81.98).

Thanks for reply

I have try the method which Eck said to change system.ini

But it also can't boot successful .....

So....

I think it's surely impossible in my computer to boot up win98 with 2G RAM and 6800GT...

Right, MaxPhysPage=40000 limits things to 1 Gig of Ram. Obviously that's what is desired since 9x cannot boot with over a gig used. So if he had 3 Gigs of Ram he would still type in MaxPhysPage=40000 so the system would not try to use more than 1 Gig of it.

Sorry it didn't work. Most hardware actually works if setting things that way, but some, unfortunately, do not.

There might be some other trick to it but I'm not aware of any. Time to use either VirtualPC or VMWare to run 9x if you want to use your hardware with it.

Does DOS work in your configuration with more than ~800 MB of RAM?

Although on my machine Win98SE booted successfully with 0x40000, DOS box could not be started.