Small simple freeware

WRe

Hello there,

I created two little proggies and wanted to share it with you. You can test it, flame it, use it.. ;)

First proggie is SimplePasswords, for managing your passwords for FTP, WEB, Mail, whatever. Here's official description:

simplepasswords.jpg

"Tired of forgetting passwords for your favorite sites, mails, FTP accounts?

Here is one for you, SimplePasswords, a simple password manager.

Now you can organize all your passwords into categories, add notes and carry it on your USB stick.

SimplePasswords encrypts all data with TripleDES block cipher so you don't need to worry about anyone seeing your data."

The other is SimpleIndexing, for indexing your files so you could easily manipulate them (e.g. instant find for audio/video, drag/drop to ehatever proggie - winamp, MPC, word, copy/pase to windows). Description:

simpleindexing.jpg

"Your mp3 collection is too big to search over and over looking for your favorite song?

Have tons of unorganized downloads, music or documents?

Why not index your files so you could know exactly where your files are.

SimpleIndexing will happily do that for you. SimpleIndexing is your small program for managing files. Easy to use, very user-friendly and simple.

It supports drag/drop so you can copy/move/enqueue files directly from SimpleIndexing to any other program supporting drag/drop like winamp or your favorite video player."

They can be found and downloaded here:

http://www.smallsimplesoftware.com

Enjoy.. ;)

Is it spyware ?

No it's not spyware.

Why do you ask?

If you are suspicious, check download/upload of program. It just downloads key when it is about to expire.

Edited by WRe

It just downloads key when it is about to expire.
Is there a particular reason for this type of behaviour. If they are freeware, what is the idea of having to update a key regularly in order to continue using your programs. Does this mean I can only use the software on machines with an internet connection? it's nice to have screenshots, but how about some system requirements?

It just downloads key when it is about to expire.
Is there a particular reason for this type of behaviour. If they are freeware, what is the idea of having to update a key regularly in order to continue using your programs. Does this mean I can only use the software on machines with an internet connection? it's nice to have screenshots, but how about some system requirements?

Hello there,

"Is there a particular reason for this type of behaviour?" is often asked question and will be put in FAQ soon.

It is because I had many situations (on projects in past) to get all sort of negative comments because users tend to use old, alfa or beta versions. So complains like "this is not working, program crashes" and such comments. So that's the story about keys.

And yes, it does connect to internet as soon as you first tun it, to download new key. And to be honest, if one is about to use SimplePasswords, it's because one has many accounts, and you really won't use it if you don't have connection to internet? Right?

The key is valid for 3 months, so my personal opinion is that it is not a problem to download key every 3 months, even if you have dial-up. It's just few bytes.

I mean, it is really not in my interest to infect people with some spyware or such. My intentions were good and if I want my programs to be popular (which I do), spyware is not a way to go. If you go to site where programs are hosted (http://www.smallsimplesoftware.com), you will see that SP (and SI) got quite a few awards from major download sites, which would indicate that it is safe.

Is this explanation ok?

Regarding system requirements. Programs only ask for .NET Framework 2.0, so any machine capable running framework, can run programs. They don't need anything special.

Best regards,

WRe

Edited by WRe

Any software that 'phones home' makes me cringe :wacko:

Thanks go out to other users for enlightening me to this activity.

Just another software I have no need for.

It doesn't matter to me if that call is made daily, quarterly or yearly. It just isnt right.

There is NO need for this activity other than the collection of information.

I won't visit the softwares homepage either because its my opinion that the producer of

such wares is into information collection for whatever purpose and I don't want to be part of it.

I put alot of effort into avoiding such softwares and to enlighten others to the activity.

shark

It is because I had many situations (on projects in past) to get all sort of negative comments because users tend to use old, alfa or beta versions. So complains like "this is not working, program crashes" and such comments. So that's the story about keys.
Not good enough I'm afraid, you should in those cases, as a worst case scenario, simply display a message to the user that a newer or updated version is available. The new key serves no purpose and will in fact narrow your market considerably.
And to be honest, if one is about to use SimplePasswords, it's because one has many accounts, and you really won't use it if you don't have connection to internet? Right?
Wrong, however SimpleIndexing is a prime candidate for standalone music only systems without an internet connection.
Regarding system requirements. Programs only ask for .NET Framework 2.0, so any machine capable running framework, can run programs. They don't need anything special.
Now the sting in the tail, .NET framework 2.x! why on your dedicated site is this not mentioned at all? You've given no real information on the programs themself, there is no mention of the system requirements, no mention of an internet connection or a three monthly download of a key. Oh and by the way, if you were killed by a train tomorrow, your program couldn't live on in your name, it would die less than three months later.

Not good enough I'm afraid, you should in those cases, as a worst case scenario, simply display a message to the user that a newer or updated version is available. The new key serves no purpose and will in fact narrow your market considerably.
And to be honest, if one is about to use SimplePasswords, it's because one has many accounts, and you really won't use it if you don't have connection to internet? Right?
Wrong, however SimpleIndexing is a prime candidate for standalone music only systems without an internet connection.
Now the sting in the tail, .NET framework 2.x! why on your dedicated site is this not mentioned at all? You've given no real information on the programs themself, there is no mention of the system requirements, no mention of an internet connection or a three monthly download of a key. Oh and by the way, if you were killed by a train tomorrow, your program couldn't live on in your name, it would die less than three months later.

OK, I see you dislike my applications, no problem at all. I just wanted to share what I've done and taught it could be useful. You don't like it, that is your opinion and you have every right on it. I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. I mean, there will always be some people that don't like my programs, but as long as it's below 50% it's ok with me.

Regarding not mentioning .NET Framework 2.0, it slipped my mind, I created site not more than month ago. And if you are going to flame me for not mentioning it, well, knock your self out. And then flame me again for no mentioning system requirements. I got nothing against that either and I'm sorry I failed your standards, guess I'm not that good after all.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my programs need at least Blue Gene (some say even Red Storm can run it, but I doubt it). And don't forget to install .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0, it won't run without it.

Now please excuse me, I got a train to *catch*.

Cheers. ;)

I didn't at any point state my opinions on whether or not I liked your programs.

I have given you only constructive criticism, if that's not what you wanted from possibly the most knowledgeable forum membership on the planet, then you should have thought twice about using this board to advertise your programs.

Silently connecting to the internet for no good reason will lose you around 30% of possible custom, the necessity on .NET framework will probably lose you another 10%. The fact that your program will die on every computer upon which it is installed, within three months of any date you decide upon will lose you at least 50%. Now look at the remaining market, get off your high horse, stop trying to hide important facts, don't try to crack jokes about it and take the criticism you asked for.

<Edit>

PS

I was going to remove your entire topic, due to the fact it was your first post and you were using it as an advertising springboard for your own applications. This is within my remit.

I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, as you stated that it was available for MSFN testing and comment (flame). If you are not willing to uphold that claim, then let me know and I'll remove the topic.

Thank you.

</Edit>

I didn't at any point state my opinions on whether or not I liked your programs.

I have given you only constructive criticism, if that's not what you wanted from possibly the most knowledgeable forum membership on the planet, then you should have thought twice about using this board to advertise your programs.

Silently connecting to the internet for no good reason will lose you around 30% of possible custom, the necessity on .NET framework will probably lose you another 10%. The fact that your program will die on every computer upon which it is installed, within three months of any date you decide upon will lose you at least 50%. Now look at the remaining market, get off your high horse, stop trying to hide important facts, don't try to crack jokes about it and take the criticism you asked for.

<Edit>

PS

I was going to remove your entire topic, due to the fact it was your first post and you were using it as an advertising springboard for your own applications. This is within my remit.

I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, as you stated that it was available for MSFN testing and comment (flame). If you are not willing to uphold that claim, then let me know and I'll remove the topic.

Thank you.

</Edit>

I agree with your criticism, and I can take critics, that is not a problem and are really welcome. After all, that's why I posted programs here.

But sorry, I have recognized your "constructive criticism" as sort of flame so you got that reply.

I don't want this thread to became "dispute" of two of us, that WASN'T my intention when starting this thread.

But let me try to explain what wasn't clear above:

I ain't trying to HIDE anything. As you can see, programs and site is available only for short period of time.

Yes, programs do need .NET Framework and they do connect to internet, which wasn't ment to be HIDDEN.

From this forum I wanted criticism about software itself, the usefulness of it's primary purpose. The things you mention were not my primary as they are the subject to change.

Is my position and intentions at least a little bit more clear than before? Just a little?

Thank you too. ;)

<Edit>

Your critics were heard, I've put big bold sign in download section that programs do need framework and that key will be downloaded the first time programs are run.

</Edit>

Edited by WRe

I agree with Shark007 - Here we are offered a free program which stores your usernames and passwords (albeit in an encrypted format - according to the author) - and then 'calls home' for a 'key' - yeah right! I couldn't think of anything more dangerous/suspect than this. I am also wondering why post on this forum? How many other forums has the author 'advertised' his software?

I shall not be 'trying' this software and would advise other forum members to do the same.

Thanks - but no thanks!

I agree with Shark007 - Here we are offered a free program which stores your usernames and passwords (albeit in an encrypted format - according to the author) - and then 'calls home' for a 'key' - yeah right! I couldn't think of anything more dangerous/suspect than this. I am also wondering why post on this forum? How many other forums has the author 'advertised' his software?

I shall not be 'trying' this software and would advise other forum members to do the same.

Thanks - but no thanks!

Your criticism is acknowledged, and I just might remove that key as I see that it really looks suspicious for SP and SI has no need for it.

Regarding 'advertising' on other forums, this is the first forum I posted on (not counting the other one which primary function is advertisement of freeware).

<Edit>

Keys disabled, no more keys, no more connecting to internet.

So, anyone care to test it now?

</Edit>

Edited by WRe

In that case, I will give them a test!

Your site does not yet reflect these changes:

Download SimplePasswords

Latest version: 0.8.9.1

Change Log

Date: 20.04.2007

Download SimpleIndexing

Latest version: 0.5.10.1

Change Log

Date: 20.04.2007

<Edit>

...and the files I've just downloaded bear those same versions above!

</Edit>

Ouch, I forgot to update it (those are real versions, without keys, updated few minutes ago, it's just wrong date). ..... Updated. :)