freeware anti installing programme?

johnney

That should've been mentioned in the OP. You posted in the WinXP forum, which is why several of us said not to make them admins. :)

I didn't do that because in fact I use two computers: one at work, using XP, and one at home, obviously less powerful, using Win98. I primarily needed the programs for XP. Dexter did a good job and they successfully work on both systems. By the way, I tried again doing that thing with guest user accounts in XP. There was an option for "limited" account, which I selected (they said choosing that will prevent the user installing programs, deleting other user accounts and so on). Well, it's either that my computer doesn't obey, or I don't make the necessary settings, but I was still able to instal programs after logging as a "visitor" user.

Dexter, congratulations, the programs works great :thumbup . Tested on Win98, and doesn't make problems. I'll see how it reacts on XP, because I tried something just for a check, and when I Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Win98, and lists the active programs, one of them in the list is SUB, under this name. I was expecting to be listed as svchost.exe, as the actual name. I was thinking someone knowing a little about how computers work, could realize that SUB program is the guilty one and could try and deactivate it. Maybe in XP it is listed as svchost.exe. I'll see exactly on Wednesday, when I go to work and test it there.

^ Thanks again for your inputs.

SUB showing up as SUB in the task list is impossible - I didn't even use the "SUB" name anywhere in the program! I think you could may be seeing the process of the zip file, which is the only file that's called SUB :)

^ Thanks again for your inputs.

SUB showing up as SUB in the task list is impossible - I didn't even use the "SUB" name anywhere in the program! I think you could may be seeing the process of the zip file, which is the only file that's called SUB :)

You are welcome, actually it's me who should thank you because you helped me a lot.

You are right :blushing: I just realized that the unzipped folder was open when I did that. No wonder it was listed.

Edited by johnney

• 4 weeks later...

is there a way to set the white/black list settings unattendedly?

And is there a way to get it to work with browsers other than IE? Worked great with IE, didn't even slow Firefox down.

is there a way to set the white/black list settings unattendedly?

And is there a way to get it to work with browsers other than IE? Worked great with IE, didn't even slow Firefox down.

Yes, just backup the keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

And I meant it to be used only for IE because Firefox and other browsers already have good built-in alert-free site filtering.

And I meant it to be used only for IE because Firefox and other browsers already have good built-in alert-free site filtering.

That is just more things I have to configure for my image. A one stop shop would be nice but not required.

Nice work by the way.

• 1 year later...