freeware anti installing programme?

johnney

Hello, this is something I try to find for a long time: I need a simple freeware programme that can prevent or block the installing of other programmes. Meaning: my computer is used by other people, friends, relatives, and sometimes they install programmes which I don't want. I have used Faronics Anti-executable, it's quite good, but it's trial version. And by the way, I would like something that does not show any alert on the screen when they try to run .exe files or such. Just block, simple as that. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Someone else suggested the same method, I created a guest account on my computer, but they were still able to instal programmes. It did't work. There should be an option of Windows not to allow guest accounts users to instal programmes, unfortunately there isn't such an option.

create a new user, and don't select 'administrator' for the account type

then login as that user, you won't be able to install programs

The problem with that or by using Software Restriction Policies is that the setup programs give an error - "Cannot write to.." or similar. What johnney wants is the setup program to not be able to run at all. No error messages, no alerts or anything.

Also, it'll not work for programs that install to the users homepath, creates only HKCU entries, etc.

@johnney:

I made this program for you. I had this idea and wanted to do this long ago, but totally forgot about it till now.

Enjoy :)

zip.gifNoSetup_v1.1.zip ( 186.6k )

Edited by [deXter]

Thank you, Dexter! :thumbup It really works, you deserve a beer :yes: The program does its job. Though it sometimes the .exe file manages to initialize, but it vanishes 2 seconds later. And one of them (namely Norman Malware Cleaner) was able to bypass the restriction (delayed in running for about 2 minutes), and so did AVG Anti-virus.exe and Avira Antivirus.exe, which initialized instantly. And the tray icon is "invisible" and have to guess where it shows up (could be because I use Windows 98 on this computer). But all in all, it works very well :angel Thank you again, you understood my point perfectly - I don't need the others working on my computer to suspect anything, no error message or such. By the way, do you happen to know or can you do something similar to allow access only to a "white list" of websites? Just something "lite", stealth, password-protected and effective.

Edited by johnney

Thanks for the reply :) I haven't tested NoSetup on Windows 98, but glad to see that it works!

By the way, do you happen to know or can you do something similar to allow access only to a "white list" of websites?

All modern browsers have that feature built-in- you should probably use that. If you want system-level protection, then you could use a free firewall like Comodo.

--

Norman Malware Cleaner doesn't install anything to the system- it's just a single-file portable cleaner. It wont mess your system so I don't think there's any need to block it, right?

AVG is, unfortunately, using a custom installer so I won't be making a block filter for it (for now) unless someone comes across other programs too using the same installer.

Avira should have been detected earlier, but I've fixed it now.

NoSetup_v1.1.zip

Edited by [deXter]

I tried that already with Internet Explorer, indeed there is an option called Content Advisor which blocks and password protects any website which is not in the white list. Unfortunatley, it displays an alert. As for Comodo, I used that before, and eventually it crashes, and needs re-installation, over and over again.

You know, there is not such a big problem that NoSetup wasn't able to block AVG and Avira or Norman. I think nobody is bothered if someone else tries to instal an antivirus on his or her computer. The problem was if they uncounsciously installed a malicious program which used the same type of installer. Since you say you solved it, then I think we shouldn't worry much. Anyway, the other program I used - the trial version of Faronics, boasted they could block all types of installers, including .exe, .ocx, .ax, .sys, .drv, .x32, .vrd, .scr, .tlb files. I was wondering if NoSetup can do the same.

You can use FreeProxy to have whitelists and more. If freeproxy isn't working for you, I can make a whitelist program too.

Also, let me make it clear that NoSetup is designed for programs that have an interface. Usually, viruses/malware don't have any interface so it wouldn't work for them. You can't use it as an Anti-Malware program- you should really use a proper AntiVirus for that.

I downloaded Free Proxy, installed it on my computer, but I did not manage to figure out how it works. It's probably because it's the first time I use one of these, because I can't find any icon or shortcut on the desktop, or anywhere else. Could you tell me how it can be configured?

You are right, NoSetup is not meant to be used as an anti-malware program. In fact, I have two anti-viruses installed which do that (suprisingly enough, they don't conflict with each other). But most of the viruses, trojans, worms, spread as a result of clicking an .exe file.

Is there any way you could change the tag attached to NoSetup which says "Blocks Installers"? And change the icon of it with the red double crossed image? I want to make it hard for others to realize what it does. It would be ideal if you could tag it as "DVD Player" for instance :sneaky: and picture it as a DVD disk :)

Edited by johnney

Presenting:

Stealth URL Blocker v1.0

----------------------------

Full instructions are written in the Readme.txt file.

Here are a few screenshots of its stealthiness ;)

Check out SUB's no-icon when it's disabled:

4udm455.png

Designed to look like a standard windows file:

4p47mzb.png

zip.gifDownload ( 207k )