Performance firewal for system?

weEvil

I need a new firewall. I used to use Zone Alarm, but its been giving me problems. Slows down computer way too much.

Has antispyware, monitoring tools... and just extra crap I don't need from a firewall.

I need a firewall that does just that. No virus, no antispyware, no registry monitoring... just firewall.

Preferably with some sort of IP range blocklist like PeerGuardian.

Do you guys know or use any?

I heard TinyPersonalFirewall used to be good. But its discontinued now.

And do any of these have IP blocking? So I can get rid of my PeerGuardian?

Oh and freeware or pay, I don't care. I want it to be just a firewall... so its light on the system.

I have antivirus, antispyware and all the other stuff to protect me. Anything else is redundant.

i use comodo and peerguardian. No need for both really but like the added protection (only put peer guardian on when torrenting, and update the lists every day with Blocklist Manager). Im obsesive about this stuff, maybe because most countries dont have a data protection act like Irelands :) Even the police need special permission to gather all the info on you, and even then it has to be related to a crime.

And do any of these have IP blocking? So I can get rid of my PeerGuardian?

Of course it does, but if you want to spend a good portion of eternity making individual rules for each IP that PeerGuardian blocks, that's your choice. I used PeerGuardian before for a few days but quickly didn't see much reason to use it further.

i use comodo and peerguardian. No need for both really but like the added protection (only put peer guardian on when torrenting, and update the lists every day with Blocklist Manager). Im obsesive about this stuff, maybe because most countries dont have a data protection act like Irelands :) Even the police need special permission to gather all the info on you, and even then it has to be related to a crime.

I also use comodo+peerguardian. I love peerguardian, I'm iffy about comodo though, it's been failing recently. Of course, it could just be my system. Time for that yearly reinstall. This time though, I'm going to buy zonealarm and reimage my system.

I used Comodo for a month or so to test it out and it's the only freeware firewall I recommend to others.

I agree. With the exception that Jetico Personal Firewall is good too.

I recommend Jetico Personal Firewall 1x for people that want lean Windows installations.

I had dependency issues with Comodo Personal Firewall under Windows 2000 Pro with the FDV fileset.

So I need another OS setup to test Comodo on.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Doggie - Doesnt matter how careful you are on the net there are too many holes in Windows and Windows Firewall. It doesnt take too much to disable windows firewall (1 reg entry, which if you know what you are doing can be added to an RVM Add-On or to any number of legit installs).

I have fixed too many virus or spamware ridden computers that have relied on Windows Firewall as the only securiity measure (other than an av prog) to actually think its reliable. That think i like about Comodo is it propts you whan a new program tries to conect the internet. You can tell it to addd the file to the permit or the denyu. Its that simple. It has also saved me hastle with spamware trying to install itself, or spyware installed with other programs (like Daemon tools. it adds spyware to your comp) trying o gain net access.

Doggie - Doesnt matter how careful you are on the net there are too many holes in Windows and Windows Firewall.

Yes, it does matter. Jcarle and myself are proof of that.

The point of this topic is to suggest a firewall. That's either Comodo, Jetico, or a router which is what I'm using. Let's get back on topic and not let this turn into opinion-gagging and so forth.