Most Secure Windows

Havik

what do you think the most secure windows is?

in my opinion, windows 2000 is, reason because, every operating system has bugs/exploits in it, when they first come out hackers (the good kind, as i said in this post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=95141 ) find the bugs and report these bugs/exploits, and they get patched with hotfixes and service packs, 2000 is on its 4th service pack so im sure its pretty **** secure lol, i used to be a windows 2000 user, than XP came out, i wait at least a year and a half before i got it, cause it only just came out and it would be full of bugs/exploits, im gonna do the same with vista, but first ill need to get a better computer for that lol, anyways that just my opinion, whats yours?

i agree TAiN, but with there answer, they should have an excuse why they think its the most secure, some people say vista is the most secure, but as with somethings, newer isnt always better... like yahoo messenger for example, i upgraded to the new 8.1, its buggy as hell and not very insecure, ive seen somebodys name get taken out of a chat room,just by decoding there cookies, so i downgraded to 7.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a system OUT OF THE BOX more secure than an other (perhaps Vista ?),

But Windows NT 5.x (2k/XP/2003) can be protected too after settings ...

Windows, disconnected from the internet, duh :rolleyes:

I agree to that, also, I have just read this topic "0wning Vista from the boot" from securityfocus.com *sigh*

A bootkit is a rootkit that is able to load from a boot-sectors (master boot record, CD , PXE , floppies etc) and persist in memory all the way through the transition to protected mode and the startup of the OS...

...they use the boot media to attack the OS , and thus survive. Vbootkit is a bootkit specific for Windows Vista.

It's a total in-Ram concept. So, it doesn't touch the hard-disk under any condition and thus leaves no proofs. Just give a reboot to a vbootkit running system, and it vanishes just as it was never here...

...the vbootkit can be modified to bypass the DRM stuff. Since the DRM has been implemented in such a way, so as if unsigned drivers are loaded, then DRM will not let you play the content. What vbootkit does is let you load code without the OS knowing that it has been compromised, and thus the vbootkit can be misused to bypass DRM.

...vbootkit can be used to to create the long dead boot sector virus. Even some anti-virus vendors have stopped detecting boot sector viruses. It can revive the viruses.

what do you think the most secure windows is?

in my opinion, windows 2000 is,

No feature at all would be no breach to compromise...8)

No such thing as "the most secured windows", unless no internet connections, no floppy, remove HD, use only Solid State Disk...

How to find a balance is up to the user. Too much focus on security overtaxes the performance.

Win2K to me is the best choice of balance between performance and security.

Rather light without those redundancy of firewall, GUI of winXP. i use ADSL modem's built-in firewall, plain desktop image.

i also built a self-run DVD to disable unnecessary services during installation, replaced IE6 with Firefox, MSN messenger with miranda messenger, so securer than normal win2k.

It's still a lot of room for users to fill the security issues, so the answer may not be which windows is safer to run, but how's your over-all hardware setup, software configuration, and how familiar with your OS?

Edited by godel.chen

No such thing as "the most secured windows", unless no internet connections, no floppy, remove HD, use only Solid State Disk...

The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe, and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and I'm not even too sure about that one - Dennis Hughes, FBI

The only secure computer system in the world is unplugged, locked in a vault at the bottom of the ocean and only one person knows the location and combination of that vault. And he is dead. - Bruce Schneier, Applied Cryptography

How to find a balance is up to the user. Too much focus on security overtaxes the performance....

...but how's your over-all hardware setup, software configuration, and how familiar with your OS?

Keyword is: balance - between security and productivity.

Here is an excerpt from Law #2 of Security Administration: Ten Immutable Laws

If your security measures obstruct the business processes of your company, your users may flout them. Again, this isn't because they're malicious—it's because they have jobs to do. The result could be that the overall security of your network would actually be lower after you implemented more stringent policies...

...Make sure your company's security policy is reasonable, and strikes a balance between security and productivity. Security is important, but if your network is so secure that nobody can get any work done, you haven't really performed a service for your company...