Microsoft XPS Viewer

mallen

I'm trying to lock down the xps viewer to use on a kiosk, so that the bar at the top that shows the 'Save Copy As' option is hidden. Has anyone had any success with controlling the toolbar options, perhaps with registry keys or something? I need to hide this option so the user has no access to the operating system.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

i know it's been a while. But i'm looking for exactly the same solution to restrict the user's access to the os via Microsoft XPS Viewer bar (Save copy as...).

Did you finally come to a solution (registry key or something else)?

Please let me know!

Thanks

St_Moe

Hi,

No luck I'm afraid. I even logged a premier support call with Microsoft who came back and advised it couldn't be done in the viewer. The suggestion was to write our own viewer using the .net document viewer control (sorry, don't recall exactly what the control was called). We didn't have time to do that so ended up not using xps as our document format.

We've since had a similar 'restriction' to work around and I was introduced to a toolset called 'Detours'. It can intercept calls to applications and 'tinker' or rewrite with the calls. It may be possible to use this in some way to call the viewer with the options hidden, but I'm not sure as it's quite different to what we used it for. It would depend if the property could be set. Anyway, might be worth a look, http://research.microsoft.com/sn/detours/.

Sorry I can't be of more help.