problems with security after Vlite

zakarias

Hey all this is my first post in here

the question is that i have a Dell Inspiron Laptop which came with a restore cd bundled

i used vlite to trim down the thing and leave it lighter and it worked well...

how ever the only problem that i have is that when setting rights for any given folder i can't specify my user since it doesn't recognize it

i don't know if im being clear here.. ill try to be more specific by giving you an example...

let's say i have a folder called "things" which i want to be the owner/onlyuser enabled to access it

the normal thing to do would be to right click that folder, then select properties, then to go to Security tab

after that i would choose to edit the user list, and then in the new dialog i would choose to add a new user

this is when it gets nasty since when i type my username (Phidel) and hit "ok" another dialog box apears saying there's "no object with that name" in the system

same thing happens whenever i type another username or so.

I really love Vlite since it saved me almost 6 Gigz of space but I really need to recover my ability to allow and deny permissions to users...

that's why im asking for some help in here...

Thanks a lot peepz..

btw... vista edition is Home Premium 32

Thanks in advance!

Hey all this is my first post in here

the question is that i have a Dell Inspiron Laptop which came with a restore cd bundled

i used vlite to trim down the thing and leave it lighter and it worked well...

how ever the only problem that i have is that when setting rights for any given folder i can't specify my user since it doesn't recognize it

i don't know if im being clear here.. ill try to be more specific by giving you an example...

let's say i have a folder called "things" which i want to be the owner/onlyuser enabled to access it

the normal thing to do would be to right click that folder, then select properties, then to go to Security tab

after that i would choose to edit the user list, and then in the new dialog i would choose to add a new user

this is when it gets nasty since when i type my username (Phidel) and hit "ok" another dialog box apears saying there's "no object with that name" in the system

same thing happens whenever i type another username or so.

I really love Vlite since it saved me almost 6 Gigz of space but I really need to recover my ability to allow and deny permissions to users...

that's why im asking for some help in here...

Thanks a lot peepz..

btw... vista edition is Home Premium 32

Thanks in advance!

Yup, this issue has been there since first release. It's related to removing one of the components. Try to add a new user and set user rights, that will open your eyes. Crappy indeed...:rolleyes:

Edited by Clint

somehow, it's a bit relaxing to find out this wasn't my faul!

now then... do you know what component should I keep in order to avoid this?

and also... is there any other "bug" i should be worried about?

I'm so happy with my extra 6 gigz... i hope i don't have to install the full package :S

Thanks for your help!