Item not installed...no log file created (WPI 5.6)

I sporadically have problems where some of my checked items never install. Usually, 36 of 37 items will install. Most of the times, the missing application does not appear in the log file under "List of programs to be installed". Sometimes it appears in the list, lists as a success (return code 0) further down, but definitely did not run. Random experimentation has given me repeatable results where the application will install depending on which other subset of applications I choose to install at the same time.

I tried to create the minimum configuration that would exhibit the problem, and it was oddly easy. I downloaded a fresh copy of 5.6, extracted it, and created the following config file:

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Reference ... prog[0] won't be used. It's just an example.
// Look in program.js to see explanation of these properties.
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// pn=0; // start value for prog numbering
// prog[pn]=['ProgramName'];
// ordr[pn]=[0];
// desc[pn]=['Description'];
// uid[pn]=['APP1'];
// dflt[pn]=['no'];
// cat[pn]=['Application Category'];
// forc[pn]=['false'];
// configs[pn]=['List of configs to be auto checked. Comma seperated'];
// deps[pn]=[];
// excl[pn]=[];
// cond[pn]=['Javascript Conditional Statement'];
// gcond[pn]=['Javascript Conditional Statement to gray item'];
// regb[pn]=['Registry Key Path'];
// cmd1[pn]=['CommandLine 1'];
// cmd2[pn]=['CommandLine 2'];
// cmd3[pn]=['CommandLine 3'];
// cmd4[pn]=['CommandLine 4'];
// cmd5[pn]=['CommandLine 5'];
// cmd6[pn]=['CommandLine 6'];
// rega[pn]=['Registry Key Path'];
// picf[pn]=['Picture File'];
// picw[pn]=['Width'];
// pich[pn]=['Height'];
// textl[pn]=['Text Location'];
// pn++;

// Your programs here ...
pn=1;
prog[pn]=['dotnet'];
uid[pn]=['DOTNET'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
cat[pn]=['Applications'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cmd1[pn]=['"%CDROM%\\WXPVOL_EN\\WPI\\Install\\dotnet.exe"'];
pn++;

// End of program definitions ...

I run WPI.hta, the box for 'dotnet' is checked, I click Begin Install, and WPI just exits. C:\WPI_Log.txt is NOT created, so I don't know how to debug.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or how to debug this problem?

Thanks.

Proximous

cmd1[pn]=['"%CDROM%\\WXPVOL_EN\\WPI\\Install\\dotnet.exe"'];

try

cmd1[pn]=['"%CDROM%\\WPI\\Install\\dotnet.exe"']; <-- if wpi is in its own folder

or

cmd1[pn]=['"%CDROM%\\Install\\dotnet.exe"']; <-- if wpi.hta is at the root of the cd...

either way I am betting WXPVOL_EN is actually the label of the cd not the folder name...

either way I am betting WXPVOL_EN is actually the label of the cd not the folder name...

WXPVOL_EN actually is the name of the folder. It's the root folder I use to make my ISO so I have it match the ISO volume name. The full path is:

C:\WXPVOL_EN\WPI\Install

I was testing from this directory since I can't modify the file on the CD-ROM. I did try using the "C:\WXPVOL_EN\WPI\Install\dotnet.exe" (no %VARIABLES%) to no avail. I guess my bigger question is, even if my path/filename is wrong, shouldn't it create a C:\WPI_Log.txt file and show the error in the file? I'm really baffled as to what I have done wrong. Is there any debugging I can enable or some strategic place I can put a printf?

Thanks for your help.

proximous

The full path is:

C:\WXPVOL_EN\WPI\Install

I was testing from this directory since I can't modify the file on the CD-ROM. I did try using the "C:\WXPVOL_EN\WPI\Install\dotnet.exe" (no %VARIABLES%) to no avail.

If you're running WPI.hta from your hard drive, then maybe try using %ROOT%\\WPI\\Install\\dotnet.exe

I use %ROOT% instead of %CDROM% because I don't put my Install directory under WPI.

Not creating a log file is baffling though (assuming you have LogInstallation=true; in useroptions.js). Also, try deleting your useroptions.js and let WPI create a new one for you and then configure it for your install.

I hope you find success.