Leave SFC on and not get WFS popups?

Toad21

Hello all,

I want to get rid of the Windows File Protection Popup without disabling SFC. Anyway to do this?

Long version:

After integrating IE7 into an XP CD, using both 1.2.1 and 1.3, I get the “Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. etc ” Please insert windows CD.

This is caused by SFC, or System File Checker. I know you can get rid of this message by disabling SFC, but I want to deploy this to 100's of computers and DO NOT want SFC disabled to be on the safe side. I really like having all the updates already done on a fresh install, but this popup is unacceptable in a large environment. IE7 is the longest update, so nliteos is basically useless to me unless there is a solution where I can leave SFC on.

Has anyone figured this out?

Thank you for your time,

-Todd Thomas

Network Administrator

Illinois State University

Thank you for the replies, but turning on SFC after installing will have the same effect right? I would believe that turning on SFC after installing XP will have no effect. Have any of you tried this? I get the error after its installed, not during. IE7 slipstream replaces some DLL's that SFC will forever see to be altered, and would give this error message after it is turned on.

Any other ideas?

BTW, I plan on "donating" a good amount of money if this program works without flaws.

-Todd

Edited by Toad21

Toad21, as far as I know (though it's been awhile since I've done it), turning it on after will not cause you a problem. This was the solution I was going to propose. Turn it off during installation and then turn it on again when all is done. Just make sure those changed files are changed in the cache as well. You can turn sfc back on with a reg file or cmd file run on first boot. Use the techniques from an unattended install to do this.

Edited by DonDamm

hi Toad! i've often quoted this (FDV,sir i hope you don't mind! :) ):

Standing by for documentation changes.

On a different subject... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

To shut Windows File Protection off:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

No need for a modified SFCFILES.DLL

To disable Windows File Protection causing it to check an empty list:

Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

No need for a modified SFC*.DLL

For complete overkill, so that Windows File Protection is shut off AND has an empty list which it doesn't even check:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

AND Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

someone will pounce on me for this, but here goes.

i encourage people to really think about doing this... i turn it back on after i install. i am SO tired of installing apps and having them replace my dlls. i also do installs on systems other than my own (yeah, they're licensed, calm down you panicky types). the last thing i need is trying to troubleshoot someone's pc because some stupid game made for windows 95 replaced their ole32.dll when they installed it.

wfp is noticeable during the setup phase. each file that gets installed gets checked. switch WFP off and setup can really fly. i keep unmodified copies on the installed CD as "SFC.DLL.OLD" and etc. when i want to turn sfc back on, i do a switch by booting into safe mode or using bartpe.

so given the above, what i initially recommended to you is the way to go!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Toad this is DEFINATLY NOT a reason to use the report button! That button is there for things like rules violations, not to solicit extra help.

Plus I would like to re-iterate what has been said before nLite is not for use in corporate or buisness enviroments.

Toad's text:

So I disabled SFC on an XP build, then after it was installed I re-enabled it as you guys suggested. Low and behold after I initiate the final updates, it gives the same error message.

So, any other ideas?

Sorry I hit the report button on accident. My bad. My next question is below.

Toad21, as far as I know (though it's been awhile since I've done it), turning it on after will not cause you a problem. This was the solution I was going to propose. Turn it off during installation and then turn it on again when all is done. Just make sure those changed files are changed in the cache as well. You can turn sfc back on with a reg file or cmd file run on first boot. Use the techniques from an unattended install to do this.

Ok, how do I script SFC to be turned on automatically on 1st boot up? Any help appreciated.

Edited by Toad21

OK so I have a .reg file that will write to the registry to turn SFC on, and I know how to use the run once command to add the registry file at 1st bootup. But I write the command to say "regedit.exe /s d:\SFCon.reg" but this will only work if the CD drive is drive D. Is there a wild card command for the CD drive? Its possible the CD drive could be a different drive letter, and I want to cover all my bases.

Thanks for the input guys.

-Todd

I have a related question myself. Is the cause of this SFC problem known? I'll be building a new PC soon, and I'm curious if only integrating SP2 + RyanVM's hotfix pack is going to give me these problems. I want to keep SFC turned on as well, so I want to know if I'm going to have to slipstream it manually now.

I have a related question myself. Is the cause of this SFC problem known? I'll be building a new PC soon, and I'm curious if only integrating SP2 + RyanVM's hotfix pack is going to give me these problems. I want to keep SFC turned on as well, so I want to know if I'm going to have to slipstream it manually now.

I beleive its the integration of IE7 that gives the error.

OK

So it is Most Definetly the integration of IE7 that causes this error. By itself, slipstreamed in, it causes this error. So, I have tried turning off SFC before install, then turning it on after the install. Low and behold, it still pops up with Windows File Protection error every now and then.

Anyone?

Are you sure it's IE-7? If yes, then are you sure you're using the latest build and not a beta or a RC build?

Because I have created and installed XP many times with IE7 and RVM (without tweaks) and I've faced no SFC problems. Yes, SFC is enabled and working, because if I try to delete or modify a system file I do get the SFC popup.

I currently integrate in this order: XP-SP2 -> RVM -> DirectX 9 -> .NET -> WMP11.

Exactly what all are you slipstreaming with nLite? Are you using any patches or tweaks? Any modded files on the CD?

Did you try using a fresh, unmodified, original XP CD?

Edited by [deXter]