2003 AD and Domain help please.

mannyo

Can anyone help.

I need to replicate our office Active Directory onto a temporary test environment. The live environment has 2 DC's, the roles are split across both the controllers, however the test environment is limited to one DC.

What I have tried so far,

Backup the DC that also deals with DHCP, DNS and has the domain master, and infrastructure master roles using NTBACKUP to backup the whole system including the system state.

Restore this backup onto another computer, but with different lan card. After reboot installed the lan card driver and configured with the same settings as the live server.

Used ntdsutil to remove the replication links to the other DC, and also remove those server entries using metadata cleanup and sieze all the roles the other DC had.

Made the DC a GC, as it wasnt previously.

Rebooted.

All seems well locally, AD users and computers works, I can see the users/computers and add/remove things. BUT there is a but, I cannot join anything onto the domain as all I get is the message a domain controller cannot be found. Also an error in the DC event log states that the Global Catalog cannot contact the domain controller (itself). The event log confirms that the domain controller is a GC when setup earlier, To me it looks like the netbios domain thingy isnt working correctly.

So what have I done wrong. The ultimate goal is a functioning DC / AD using one server instead of two. Can anyone who has done this kind of thing before post a step by step guide.

Edited by mannyo

Sounds like you didn't clean up DNS with the new information, especially the GC errors. Verify that your servers are indeed using the correct DNS information (and that your DNS information in all of your zone data points to correct servers). Otherwise, try to use replmon to monitor forced replications, and start by troubleshooting the errors there.

Managed to get it all working, despite all I had done the problem was all down to file replication. The NTFRS was complaining and stopping the restored server from becoming a domain controlller, I had to follow a MS KB article to recover the sysvol share as it would not share, after I did this and rebooted I was able to join things onto the domain.

• 3 weeks later...

To the user who reported this thread (you know who you are) - the report button is not meant to solicit help or bring posts to the attention of the moderators unless there is some breach of the forum rules. Reporting this does NOT fall under those guidelines, so please use the report button sparingly. Thank you.