Vista-32 on AMD64

MtK

You made a bad choice of MB. Regardless of what any test site says from personal experience I can tell you that you are going to have problems with Gigabyte just past its warranty period. Stick with MSI. Performance may be a bit lagging but stability & longevity is super high.

If you are going to add your own graphic card, via chiset MSI mb is an excellent choice.

what about:

New MB: ASUS P5PE-VM

New CPU: INTEL Pentium 4 630 3.00GHz

You made a bad choice of MB. Regardless of what any test site says from personal experience I can tell you that you are going to have problems with Gigabyte just past its warranty period. Stick with MSI. Performance may be a bit lagging but stability & longevity is super high.

If you are going to add your own graphic card, via chiset MSI mb is an excellent choice.

what about:

New MB: ASUS P5PE-VM

New CPU: INTEL Pentium 4 630 3.00GHz

In this day and age I wouldn't suggest anything but Intel Core 2. That's an E4300 plus, say, a Gigabyte P965-DS3 (or the G version with built-in Intel GMA3000 graphics, if you prefer that). The DS3 version is very overclockable (mine's running at 3.2Ghz with an E6300...); the built-in graphics version isn't as overclockable.

You should be able to get both for very close to and slightly under your $250 target.

In this day and age I wouldn't suggest anything but Intel Core 2. That's an E4300 plus, say, a Gigabyte P965-DS3 (or the G version with built-in Intel GMA3000 graphics, if you prefer that). The DS3 version is very overclockable (mine's running at 3.2Ghz with an E6300...); the built-in graphics version isn't as overclockable.

You should be able to get both for very close to and slightly under your $250 target.

Sorry but this MB doesn't support my DDR 400MHz.

I also forgot to mention I have a SATA1 HD & not 2...

Wow, I have 512 mB of ram :unsure:

I plan on upgrading, but my computer runs averagely smooth. for me, I usually have wmp open, firefox, trillian, and maybe a few small apps depending on what Im doing

Sorry but this MB doesn't support my DDR 400MHz.

I also forgot to mention I have a SATA1 HD & not 2...

I wouldn't make purchase decisions (and put lots of $ in obsolete hardware) to save a little money on RAM. 2GB in sticks are $85 or so at NewEgg, so it's tough to suggest buying now-obsolete equipment to save just a few $ (and have to upgrade anyway later...)

SATA is SATA... your drives will work fine.

Edited by bluescreens

he lives in israel...

hardware may takea while to get over there and it probably costs alot more than it does here.

Great u've noticed, but we are not disconnected from the world.

After I have decided which parts to buy, I'll find a store who sells them...

he lives in israel...

hardware may takea while to get over there and it probably costs alot more than it does here.

lol, I always find it funny when people from certain large nations assume the rest of the world is behind the times..(of course jokes on me being in the uk and generally being the last place to get anything...)

was it not a joke? :blink:

90% of the 32 bit apps that work on Vista will work on the 64bit version, they will run in a 32bit mode but they will run,
Where did you get the 90% figure?

Agreed - it should be higher. Apps should run fine; it's the things that require kernel drivers that won't work.

he lives in israel...

lol, I always find it funny when people from certain large nations assume the rest of the world is behind the times..(of course jokes on me being in the uk and generally being the last place to get anything...)

was it not a joke? :blink:

i didnt mean for it to be a joke. im not exactly sure which countries get things when. ive had many ppl tell me before that they dont have a certain part in their country yet, even though its been out for over a year in the US. so i just assumed...

how are prices in israel compared to newegg? thats another thing, there may be a big difference in prices.