Vista-32 on AMD64

MtK

no, it is recommended to run vista 32bit on that processor. stay away from 64bit vista for a while, there are not many programs that can be used on it, or much less than 32bit.

so go ahead install 32bit vista on your athlon64 CPU .

i am running vista 32bit Ultimate edition on this system :

AMD64 Athlon 3800+ X2

2GB DDR 2 667mhz Ram

160GB seagate HD

ATI radeon X1650 PRO

etc .....

and i have no problems, it actualy runs better than my xp did, and alot smoother too ...

If you do not have 2GB of memory, i advise you to add more ram.

It runs ok on 1gb, but better on 2GB.

on 1GB of ram you can feel that it gets slow especialy when you have a few programs open at the same time, on 2gb it is smooth no matter what you do ....

Edited by raymerjacque

10x,

I was a little worried cause I have 32bit already installed but I need to change CPU (upgrade intel32 to AMD64).

anyway, the intel32 already has 1GB of ram running Vista just fine for it's use.

I have my notebook running Vista32 on 1GB as well...

10X again

10x,

I was a little worried cause I have 32bit already installed but I need to change CPU (upgrade intel32 to AMD64).

anyway, the intel32 already has 1GB of ram running Vista just fine for it's use.

10X again

:thumbup Right Choice of Upgrade.

I reallize AMD Athlon64 single core processor perform much better than Intel Dual Core processors (Not include Core2Duo).

10x,

10X again

:thumbup Right Choice of Upgrade.

I reallize AMD Athlon64 single core processor perform much better than Intel Dual Core processors (Not include Core2Duo).

10X, it was a nessesary upgrade to to CPU & MB that needed a change... (nothing I chose to do)

no, it is recommended to run vista 32bit on that processor. stay away from 64bit vista for a while, there are not many programs that can be used on it, or much less than 32bit.

have you even used the 64bit vista/xp?

i am dual booting with both and both are much better than their 32bit counterparts.

i highly recommend 64bit as it is much more responsive and stable as far as i can tell. the 32bit vista just runs like crap for me but the 64bit is flawless so far.

What Procesor & Mobo you get will also depend on what else you will be using with it. Due to changes in many of the newer motherboards, you may or may not be able to transfer your current Power Supply, Ram, and Video Card. If you can tell us what you have there which you would like to resue, we can give you better advice.

To give you a brief, I just recommended a replacemtn motherboard (with integrated video), CPU, ram, and power supply for a gentleman for a little over $250.

Edited by nightthief

What Procesor & Mobo you get will also depend on what else you will be using with it. Due to changes in many of the newer motherboards, you may or may not be able to transfer your current Power Supply, Ram, and Video Card. If you can tell us what you have there which you would like to resue, we can give you better advice.

To give you a brief, I just recommended a replacemtn motherboard (with integrated video), CPU, ram, and power supply for a gentleman for a little over $250.

ur right I should have supplied this info:

• SATA Maxtor HD
  • 2*512MB DDR
  • can't remember the Power Supply spec.
  • preferable On-Board VGA
  • In my current MB I have a 5.1 Realtek Audio...

AMD64 Athlon 3800+ X2

2GB DDR 2 667mhz Ram

160GB seagate HD

ATI radeon X1650 PRO

etc .....

and i have no problems, it actualy runs better than my xp did, and alot smoother too ...

If you do not have 2GB of memory, i advise you to add more ram.

It runs ok on 1gb, but better on 2GB.

on 1GB of ram you can feel that it gets slow especialy when you have a few programs open at the same time, on 2gb it is smooth no matter what you do ....

Very Good!

Current MB: ASUS P5DG1-VM

Current CPU: P4 775 3.0GB

I have tried these:

New MB: Gigabyte GA-K8U-939

New CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

but I add to add at ASUS FX 5200 in order to render GUI fast enough.

Current spec has its Graphics On-Board, which is faster...

can someone supply both MB & CPU catalog numbers of a good alternative?

10x,

10X again

When you change your cpu you will have to do a reinstall as Vista will see it as non acceptable hardware change.

BTW I have a 3 year old Athlon XP 2400+ with 1 gb of ram. I don't have any issues with speed as compared to XP. Compared to 2k3 very certrainly yes.

When ever I check the status of used ram I hardly ever see it at more than 500 mb.

In fact just for the experiment value I tried an nlited version of 2k3 on 500 MHz AMD-k6 with 128 mb of ram. Surprise surprise it idles at around 75 mb usage. With Word & Excel ( Office-XP) open it just barely touches 115 mb. Now that I call performance. Disk access is very fast & hardly see any delay in real world usage.

Current MB: ASUS P5DG1-VM

Current CPU: P4 775 3.0GB

I have tried these:

New MB: Gigabyte GA-K8U-939

New CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

but I add to add at ASUS FX 5200 in order to render GUI fast enough.

Current spec has its Graphics On-Board, which is faster...

can someone supply both MB & CPU catalog numbers of a good alternative?

You made a bad choice of MB. Regardless of what any test site says from personal experience I can tell you that you are going to have problems with Gigabyte just past its warranty period. Stick with MSI. Performance may be a bit lagging but stability & longevity is super high.

If you are going to add your own graphic card, via chiset MSI mb is an excellent choice.