Windows 2000 HELPPPPPPPPPP

Hi Guys and gals i have a GENUINE copy of windows 2000 on cd but its not bootable. All system folders/files are there but i do not know how to make this copy in to another cd which is bootable. PLZ PLZ help as i am now almost 3 months without a PC due to the fact im to tight to pay for XP or anything brand new. :unsure:

It's not exactly what you're looking for...but you can boot from floppy to start the installation. See this page for how to create the floppy disks:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197063

Or, you can follow the instructions on this page to make a bootable CD. They also have the boot images available for download:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

While Nero or any other burning program can make you a bootable CD if you provide the boot.bin or boot.img file and make certain you use a 4 sector offset, but if that makes you dizzy you could always use nLite. Create a folder and put all the files from the CD in it, fire up nLite, tell it where that folder is, don't make any changes at all, then tell nLite to make you an iso image and burn it. It will take care of all the little details for you! :^)

Moreover, you can use a CD bootloader like BCDW or grub4dos as no-emulation boot sector of the cd (with grub4dos you can also make the boot floppy).

Between its features it has the ability to directly chainload setupldr.bin.

Search on the 911CD forum for posts by me (jaclaz), spacesurfer and diddy with keyword "grub4dos", you'll find a number of tutorials and lots of info.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

W2k not booting happened to some ppl I know, never knew why but my guess is scratch on the CD that is somewhere blocking the boot thingy...sometimes it could be the dvd/cd drive.

You could try cleaning up a bit your disc...

You should try the disc in another computer to see if it boots...if it does then the disc isn't the problem...

Also, I had some boot problems recently and it seems some BIOSes aren't reading boot sectors in a standard way (something about a 4 sector or offset thing and you just need to add an option when mkisofs'ing...)

Hope it helps!

P.S.: 3 months without a computer...I would rather die heh