Keyboard/Mouse freezes during WDS menu

paper

Has anyone else had this issue before? It freezes in 2 instances on the WDS menu areas: when I do a PxE boot, select the winpe option and it loads the command prompt to capture the image (like the picture here: http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0702.htm) or when I select the other option to install an image, and it asks for username/pw to access the images. It doesn't happen all the time.. sometimes it goes thru with no problems. And if I somehow was able to get thru that part, it works with no problems. But a majority of the time it freezes and I can't do anything else but reboot the machine and hope it doesn't freeze again.

I've been trying to create an image using sysprep and Imagex to capture the image and push it to the WDS Server. Am I doing it wrong?

First set up the computer with everything I want. Copy Deploy.cab file over to c:\sysprep folder. Create sysprep.inf and save in sysprep folder. Then run sysprep. Select PnP and MiniSetup and shutdown. Next time I turn the computer on I boot to PxE menu and do a capture thru the command line it will freeze.

Am I supposed to add drivers for the keyboard or mouse or something? Or is something wrong with the way I am setting it up?

Would a switchbox influence how this was acting up? The computer I grabbed the image off of had a switchbox hooked to it, so the keyboard, monitor, and mouse could be used on 2 terminals. I was able to grab an image off the computer and put it on the server. But then also this same problem happens whenever I try to PUSH the image out.

Do I need to set up an computer w/out a switchbox and redo the image and try to grab an image off a comptuer w/out a switchbox hooked up to it?

If anyone has any ideas, please help! :wacko:

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I use a KVM switch and PXE boot all the time and have had no problems. I would think that it is either a hardware issue with the computer (not the switch) or a bad WinPE image. You may want to rebuild the WinPE image, but just to eliminate some variables I would try without the switch first.

hmm.. i'm beginning to think it may be a bad boot image... as this only happens at 2 specific parts of the image process.. I'll see if a new boot image will help. Weird thing is, it happens during both the winpe and the longhorn image. Do you know if the longhorn uses winpe before the install?

When I do an install, the first screen is the keyboard setup. AFter that I click ok and it pops up a username/pw prompt to access the domain. This is where it freezes up. It never freezes during the first screen. So I think it's freezing up at specific parts. Plus it only freezes when I hit the keyboard. If I move the mouse around during the screen before ever clicking the keyboard, it's ok. But once I push any key it then freezes up.

huh.. here's an interesting thing.. The mouse and keyboard are ps/2.. i went and grabbed a usb keyboard and plugged it in and the keyboard worked. however teh mouse and other keyboard still didn't work..

Anyone had issues with ps/2 keyboard and mouses with WDS?

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I have with systems freezing are some model HP dx5150's (AMD64), if the engineer keeps pressing the F12 key too often then wds will hang. Perhaps the keyboard buffer is killing pe.

:wacko: This is still an issue. I have no idea what to do anymore. Keyboard/mouse or certain keys on the keyboard stops responding during WDS image install. And consequently if I plug in a USB keyboard, it works and I can continue. HOWEVER , it looks like the keyboard problem migrates to the imaged computer.

With regular PCs the keyboard and mouse fail during the WinPE keyboard menu. With laptops, certain keys stop responding during the keyboard menu. So there's some common issue somewhere.. I just can't figure it out where

After I imaged one, I was trying to log on to it, and certain keys on the keyboard failed to respond.. so I couldn't log on. Then I rebooted and it worked. But then later again when the acct was locked, I tried to log on and it did the same thing. For the Dell Latitude D620 laptop, the keys 4,5 r,t, f,g and v,b do not work. And it's ALWAYS these keys that fail.

For regular Dell PC workstations like GX670 and 620s the entire keyboard and mouse fail. Unplugging and replugging does nothing.

ANY help is appreciated!!!

Edited by paper

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with a Lenovo T60 right out of the box. I was not using WDS but I was using WinPE to deploy sysprepped XP images. Shortly after anything was ran in WinPE the system froze. I disabled an option in bios called memory protection, it is an attempt to prevent a virus from running code in RAM. Disabling the feature solved the problem. I would check to see if your machine(s) have a similar feature in the bios that could interfere with the WinPE ramdisk.