Vista on PIII 800 with 1024MB RAM?

hariskar

The answer is YES and NO... You should play a little bit with all those options available in vLite.

I have friends using Pentium III 800MHz, 256mb SDRAM, 4GB hard disk and an ATI 9600 graphic card. All features of Vista (which of course, has been vLited) seems to work properly, except the Aero Glass interface (must been issues with processor) and you know... a little bit slow...

So if you really have a P3 box with 1GB ram, that would be awesome... believe me, the total experience using FULL version of Vista and vLited Vista ARE different... ;)

The question is what type of RAM you are using? Cause i815 (or i810) chipsets had limit to 512MB of RAM So you are using extreme very very very very (and repeat it again forever) slow RDRAM or you are using VIA chipset which was available to work with up to 1,5GB.

But to don't answer with question on your question I will answer. I've got Duron 900Mhz with 512MB PC133 SDRAM and r9550 which is absolutely minimum for Windows Vista, and yes there is very big different between all the windows i sort it from the fastest to the slowest: XP>vLite>Vista I also prefer to turn off many services like Computer Browsing etc. Lot of stuff like this you don't need, even if you want it, it will be very slow (things like indexing etc) So if you have 1GB so t should run quite well ;) just try!

btw. What type of PIII it is?

Coppermine 10x100Mhz 0,18

Coppermine 7,5x133Mhz 0,18

Tualatin 7,5x133Mhz 0,13

Tualatin 10x100Mhz 0,13

(don't tell me that 10x100 is Celeron cause it is, but not always! There are some pieces of Pentium 100Mhz FSB)

If it`s one of 100Mhz FSB or its 133 Mhz FSB Tualatin try Overclocking your cpu

PS. I was writing it with Firefox and Ubuntu dictionary, i hope that you can read it all without problems :D Anyway sorry for my English!

Edited by Paralityk

I have nlite XP now. Would vlite Vista be much slower? Thanks!

Well Vista in fact on a system that IS capable to handle them are faster than XP. So I think that if you disable a few things or remove them with vlite (to save some disk space as well) your PIII will be just fine. It may not "fly" but it will have a quite well performance.

Afta pou lene sta periodika gia 2-4 GB RAM kai de simazeuete einai mpourders vasika.

The question is what type of RAM you are using? Cause i815 (or i810) chipsets had limit to 512MB of RAM So you are using extreme very very very very (and repeat it again forever) slow RDRAM or you are using VIA chipset which was available to work with up to 1,5GB.

But to don't answer with question on your question I will answer. I've got Duron 900Mhz with 512MB PC133 SDRAM and r9550 which is absolutely minimum for Windows Vista, and yes there is very big different between all the windows i sort it from the fastest to the slowest: XP>vLite>Vista I also prefer to turn off many services like Computer Browsing etc. Lot of stuff like this you don't need, even if you want it, it will be very slow (things like indexing etc) So if you have 1GB so t should run quite well ;) just try!

btw. What type of PIII it is?

Coppermine 10x100Mhz 0,18

Coppermine 7,5x133Mhz 0,18

Tualatin 7,5x133Mhz 0,13

Tualatin 10x100Mhz 0,13

(don't tell me that 10x100 is Celeron cause it is, but not always! There are some pieces of Pentium 100Mhz FSB)

If it`s one of 100Mhz FSB or its 133 Mhz FSB Tualatin try Overclocking your cpu

PS. I was writing it with Firefox and Ubuntu dictionary, i hope that you can read it all without problems :D Anyway sorry for my English!

most of your information is wrong:

440bx = no limit or above 1gb SDRAM, but only specified for 100mhz FSB (most 440bx mainboards are able to deal with 133mhz anyway)

i815, i810 = max. 512mb SDRAM, specified for 100+133mhz FSB

i820 = no limit or above 1gb RDRAM, Singlechannel Interface, slow!

i840 = no limit or above RDRAM, Dualchannel Interface, fast! (fastest chipset ever for P3)

via chipsets, e.g. apollo 133 (sdram) or apollo 266 (ddram), but I won't use them, they both suck, bad performance, just slow

additionally there are no 800mhz tualatins available

most of the 100mhz FSB pentiums are SLOT cpus

I would check if an upgrade to an 1,4ghz celeron or PIII-S is possible ...

(back to topic: why use vista? ...)