Running XP with no firewall,anti-virus or update, And pc is fine!

albator

I am now using no firewall, no antivirus or anti trojan, spyware of anykind. I have medium nlited xp with no security udptate. (only Service back 2 build). It has been 2 weeks and yesterday I did a manual anti-virus scan, the result: nothing.

How is that possible ?, because I dont use internet explore and the bare minimum ms services ( about a dozen).

I was surprise to see that with only the service pack I was worm and virus bulletproof.

My conclusion is that security is best achieved by computer skills rather than by a ton of security software.

Edited by albator

I use nlite for a very long time now and experienced the same ...

removing much of the exploitable stuff (IE e.g.) and shut down unwanted services (netbios ports)

I always integrate ryan's to be sure, that when I activate the netbios ports, I'm not vulnerable to worms ...

Disadvantages:

lost functionality (no IE)

knowledge necessary to use my pc (net start net bt e.g.)

I definately agree. Its quite easy to avoid getting any infection on your PC as long as you know what you're doing. I'm not saying go without AV, as you never know what form virii will take, but if you know what you're looking for, AV becomes a second line of defense, often uneeded.

Obviously, if you don't use AV and you do get a virus, you're pretty much fuxxored.

Hang on a sec here... some people seem to think that it's because of nLite that their computers don't have any security risks... that's simply not true. jcarle and I both run stock XP (with all updates) and neither of us has had any malware troubles in a long time.

I use Opera as my browser, and he uses IE.

My conclusion is that computer security is best achieved by not making silly or stupid decisions while surfing the web... :P

My conclusion is that computer security is best achieved by not making silly or stupid decisions while surfing the web... :P

I totally agree with you Zxian, I'm using IE7 and no antimalware packages. Running every once in a while a full antimalware scan, nothing found yet *touch wood*. My setup is as follows: DSL router ---> Router ---> pc running antimalware software on linux ---> switch ---> multiple pc's.

This is like claiming "See; I've been driving carefully for years without putting on my seat belt and never had an accident. It's all about driving carefully". Sure, but one day... or maybe not you but someone else...

We don't have all the cards in our hands in this game. I think the statement might be correct but the conclusion is not 100%.

try doing that without a router, and you'll soon start getting problems!

That's simply un-true. I run stock XP, up to date using Windows Update. I have no antivirus, no firewall and ALL ports are forwared AND open to my computer. I don't catch viruses, nor am I a victim of security exploits.

And to prove just how little I am worried, I run an FTP server, unfiltered, unfirewalled on my computer. Every single day, for hours on end, people attempt to hack into it. I have thousands of lines of hack attempts per day. This has been going on for a few years. Still, not a single person has ever managed to break into my FTP. Why? Because I use a 16 character random alphanumeric string as the password for my user.

Using sensibility while connected to the internet is what it's about.

ALL ports are forwared AND open to my computer.

How is that sensible?

If only one of those windows update patches reaches you after the exploit does, the length of your ftp password wont matter at all.

Yes, Nlite isn't a security solution, but neither is blind faith in Microsoft. Reducing your exposure by blocking ports you don't need open is just common sense.

They arent worried about hacking into your ftp server. Would be too easy. They are looking for all the other vulnerabilties. If you have slimmed down that much, then you have more than likely broke alot of functionality of Windows. You wouldnt have to do all this if you would do the one thing that is easy to do and prevents most bad things from happening, run as a limited user account. The one easy thing to do is use a router $20 and provides a lot of security even with defaut settings. Most routers will not allow a packet in if it is not in response to an outgoing request or forwarded. Forwarding ALL ports to your PC is just plain not smart.

My 2 cents.

Jim

try doing that without a router, and you'll soon start getting problems!

That's simply un-true. I run stock XP, up to date using Windows Update. I have no antivirus, no firewall and ALL ports are forwared AND open to my computer. I don't catch viruses, nor am I a victim of security exploits

the op said no windows updates..

i run without av, and have no ports forwarded to my main computer, the torrent pc has ports forwarded and i use hamachi to get around the ports for my pc

It's good to see people learning to do things the right way. Quite funny when you come across people who literally run a dozen security programs AND proudly boast about it in the forums about how secure their PC is.

These days, I often use this quote by Lucas Black (Shawn) from Tokyo Drift:

"It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Especially so, since I use a P3-450!

I conquer.....I refuse to use Antivirus software for the main reason it bogs it down....now I've heard AVG is pretty good.......haven't used it as of yet but still......no viruses on my computer for the last 8 years.....