Some "New Folder" questions.

blackmodder

Why do cannot rename a folder with "con"???

Example:

Try to make a new folder and rename con.It won't let you.That's because is provided like the windows console,and how we better know duplicatte names are'nt allowed in Windows. I've heared that it's may be possible to make one but after you're moddify an xp script... but I still trying to find it and post for future interests.

And I've almost forgotten.... What extension does have the New Folder??? *.newfolder or *.folder???? or else. can anyone tell???

Edited by blackmodder

CON is a reserved system name.

You cannot name folders using reserved system names which also includes LPT1 (2, 3... etc) and COM1 (2, 3... etc).

Yes it's right, I've forgoten that .... but on the second question:

What extension does have the New Folder??? *.newfolder or *.folder???? or else. can anyone tell???

Edited by blackmodder

You cannot name folders using reserved system names which also includes LPT1 (2, 3... etc) and COM1 (2, 3... etc).

Even for a Windows NT-based OS, including Windows Vista, that probably is true.

Microsoft is known to keep legacy code for a long time in their operating systems!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Actually that was a new addition with WinXP if I'm not mistaken. It may have been there on Win2k, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't with WinNT 4.0.

As for folder extensions...they don't get extensions. Sure, you can name one something like "My Folder.dir", but folders/directories don't get true extensions like files do.

Actually that was a new addition with WinXP if I'm not mistaken. It may have been there on Win2k, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't with WinNT 4.0.

As for folder extensions...they don't get extensions. Sure, you can name one something like "My Folder.dir", but folders/directories don't get true extensions like files do.

HMMMMMM interesting.... and what ... .dir work :cool::thumbup:

Technically, you can have a folder/file named CON, NUL etc. The problem comes when windows tries to access the folder, it'll give priority to CON the device and not CON the folder. Therefore, the folder becomes virtually inaccessible.

One can create such a folder in a Windows drive from another OS like *nix, or in a non standard way that won't confuse Windows/DOS, like this:

(type this in the command prompt)

MD \\.\C:\con

This will create a folder called con in C:\. You can create a file in the same way. The reason why this method works is that by specifying the dot operator, the OS knows that the command is dealing with folders, thus it doesn't get confused with con the device.

I think Microsoft have sensetive codes with these names , the reason that wondows refuses this names is still unknown for me ,

you can name your folder con or any other names mentioned above by the way that Dexester used or simply

make new folder> rename it by "con" at the same time hold the ALT bottun and press 255 . you will be allowed to have folder by this name.

I think Microsoft have sensetive codes with these names , the reason that wondows refuses this names is still unknown for me ,

you can name your folder con or any other names mentioned above by the way that Dexester used or simply

make new folder> rename it by "con" at the same time hold the ALT bottun and press 255 . you will be allowed to have folder by this name.

They're not sensitive codes. CON, PRN, NUL, LPT etc are all valid system devices. CON stands for console, LPT is line printer, NUL is null, and so on.

The reason they're reserved is because you can still perform operations with them.

If you have a parallel port printer attached to your computer, typing ECHO HELLO WORLD > LPT1 in cmd or DOS will print "HELLO WORLD" on your printer. Now try typing ECHO HELLO WORLD > CON . It'll redirect it to the console (screen). Similarly, ECHO HELLO WORLD > NUL will not do anything as it'll nullify the output. Do you have a dialup modem attached to COM1? Type ECHO ATDT911 > COM1 to dial 911 :)